Register

BARGAIN BASEMENT

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: BARGAIN BASEMENT

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:22 pm

Nothing!

Just been shopping as the kitchen was bare, and nothing I wanted was on offer.

Even the 2 packets of mince were £6.
And 3 packets for a tenner .... eh?

Postby Renée » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:28 pm

What??!!! :lol:

I've thawed out some prawns and will use smoked salmon pieces to make some kind of a pasta dish. I'm still thinking .....

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:40 pm

Did somebody mention prawns.
My favourite!

Postby Petronius » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:16 am

Waitrose, Dorset Cereals, Alpen and Jordans Muesli buy one get second half price.

Special K reduced to £2 from £2.99 - because they were out of Peach and Apricot (OH's favourite) popped into Co-op - their's wasn't reduced but normal price £2.69. Co-op cheaper than Waitrose - in our town that's unusual.

:?: Never understand why anyone pays money for cornflakes in any form :? wonders off muttering.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:35 pm

I used to treat myself to the "red berries" Special K when it was on offer, but there's no need now, as in my opinion Tesco's own brand of red berry cereal is just as good, and only £1.50...

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:53 am

There was a time when own brands were inferior. I still remember Tesco rice crispies ... more like crispy greasy fried noodles.

But not any more.
We buy own brands from whichever supermarket we are in.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:40 am

Gill and Sakkarin, I am totally with you with regards to supermarket own brands. They have definitely upped their game in recent years. We buy very little in the way of the big brands these days, it's literally just HP sauce and Flora as far as foodstuffs go.

Postby jeral » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:17 pm

I bought on introductory offer the new Bird's Eye posh fish fingers, i.e. haddock with lemon/black pepper panko coating. The fish inside was very good, as fish fingers go, and the coating flavour comes through nicely. I haven't managed to get the fish cooked properly without the coating drying out yet still with that soggy layer under it. So I'd recommend them if only I could figure out how to cook the darn things successfully. Not sure I'd recommend them at full price though.

Postby Petronius » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:10 pm

Yesterday, Waitrose had Hellman's on special offer, 800g for £3. And that was when the news was telling us Unilever products would soon disappear from the shelves.

Postby Petronius » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:45 pm

Today, Sainsbury had Special K Peach and Apricot reduced from £3 to £2, though OH decided to try their own brand at £1.50.

Bertolli olive oil was reduced as well.

Local Farm shop were selling off gammon joints - one was reduced by £4 - use by date was 16/10/16. Obviously, being the 20th, use by dates aren't mandatory.

Postby jeral » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:27 am

In my change today, I was given a new plastic £5 note and wanted to keep it to inspect it 8-) Of all the other notes I took out with me, I had only £1.03 left :o so to stop it burning a hole in my pocket I wandered around Tesco to see if I could buy anything at all now for £1... Not a lot :(

However, Coleman's sauces e.g. tartare, seafood etc were on special offer at £1 :) (So my £1 is now gone.)

Double take then: Oliver on GBM has said that a chef's tartare sauce was the best he'd eaten ever. I wonder what was so special about it? :?

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:47 am

Tartare sauce does vary doesn't it? I have to watch it in restaurants wher ethey might make it themselves as some people put tarragon in, to which I am allergic

Tell you what you can get for a pound - Iceland have a new Luxury own brand, there are frozen desserts, which I haven't tried but they look appealing (lattice topped Morello cherry tart for example) but I have been buying the (not frozen) bakery stuff, most packets are £1

Not had a bad one yet, but I particularly like the brioche burger buns (best I've had), the crumpets, the ciabatta (needs heating quickly but lovely), and 4 little squares of focaccia that are just right with a bowl of soup - oh and folded flatbreads

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:11 am

I've got a £1 bargain at Tesco: their "Exotic Juice" was only £1 a litre pack, and is real juice, not a sugared-up "juice drink". However they have just reduced it to 89p, so you'd have some coppers back out of £1 too! It seems to be a permanent reduction not an offer.

EDIT: P.S. their Euphorium ciabatta rolls which I have raved about recently, which were reduced from 50p to 25p but stayed enormous, have now been reduced to the size of normal rolls. No special trips to Tesco for ciabatta rolls any more. :-(

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:44 am

Tartare sauce

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2014/jun/19/how-to-make-the-perfect-tartare-sauce-fish-chips

I used to like Burgess's which I don't think they make any more

Postby jeral » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:15 pm

Thanks for the tartare link Stokey Sue and other tips from you and Sakkarin. Cherry pie is a long standing favourite so I'll gladly take a pound in my sticky mit :)

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:25 pm

jeral wrote:Thanks for the tartare link Stokey Sue and other tips from you and Sakkarin. Cherry pie is a long standing favourite so I'll gladly take a pound in my sticky mit :)

I think the desserts may be more than £1 - it's the cellophane packs of bread that are £1

Postby jeral » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:51 pm

Thanks. In that case I'll gladly take two pounds in my sticky mit for the cherry dessert (no flies on me). Might have to take three pounds if buying bread as well. Seriously though, I've often thought that Iceland is underrated and I wish there was a closer one.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:09 pm

jeral wrote:Thanks. In that case I'll gladly take two pounds in my sticky mit for the cherry dessert (no flies on me). Might have to take three pounds if buying bread as well. Seriously though, I've often thought that Iceland is underrated and I wish there was a closer one.

I seem to be promoting it, but as I live about 300 metres from Iceland, I pop in for odds, hence now buying most bakery there
So it amuses me that until recently it seemed to have a Yummy Mummy exclusion zone around it, as a lot of what they sell is excellent, you don't have to buy nasty ready meals - but who with children doesn't want some ice cream, peas, fish fingers etc. ?

The Luxury range is definitely aimed at those who pine for Picard.

I notice a new range of frozen fruit for smoothies & desserts, I bought raspberries, excellent, decent bag £1.50

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:31 pm

Hello Stokey

We also have an Iceland near us too, approx 400 metres away. We have recently started shopping there for our meat, fish and some other bits and pieces like frozen veg. Their frozen mackerel in particular is delicious. Next time we go in I will have a look to see if our store sells the frozen berries, and also have a look in the luxury section for a festive treat.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:22 pm

Still keep meaning to pop in there and try their wagyu beef burgers... unfortunately my Iceland is the furthest bit of the high street where I rarely venture.

Just popped into Poundland , for a couple of pairs of their reading glasses which fit me perfectly and don't look too bad, and found an unexpected bargain: Simon Hopkinson's follow-up to "Roast Chicken and other stories". Quite a surprise, as the first book (which I've already got) was very highly regarded, some reckon one of the best cookbooks ever. I see poor old Lyndsey has got the sack for volume 2, though...

Still, maybe she's off writing her follow up to "The Prawn Cocktail Years", which I loved.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox