Register

BARGAIN BASEMENT

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: BARGAIN BASEMENT

Postby Renée » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:05 pm

Would a light tint help with the appearance, Sue?

Thanks, I've made a note of that make of lenses. I'm familiar with Zeiss, but not Hoyalux.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:29 pm

Renée wrote:Would a light tint help with the appearance, Sue?.

You can't really tint thick lenses, they look rather odd, like something from an old sci-fi movie, and I can't have tinted lenses at all as it interferes with my vision - I have anti-glare coating, which isn't expensive, and stick Polaroids on top in strong sun

My new specs will be the ultra thin ones, and they will look fine, unless you look directly at my eyes through the lenses, when you might notice that they are very strong

Postby Petronius » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:29 pm

Waitrose this morning - 75cl white grenache reduced to £4.80 plus a further 20% off with our Waitrose card, 1l Croft Original and Particular reduced from £12.50 to £10.50.

As Grenache and Original are two of our tipples of choice ... :thumbsup

Postby Petronius » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:39 am

The Waitrose offer is for a range of Rose Wine.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:50 am

A lot of places seem to be selling off rosé at the moment, guess it's seasonal

Whole Foods Market have 20% off all rosé

But Morrison's own Provence rosé (Amalthée) is cheaper than WFM's (£6 on offer, usually £8, possibly £9 I think) and I much prefer it; the WFM one is sharp and has an unpleasant (to me) overtone of pear drops, whereas the Amalthée is a nicely balanced summer quaffer, very much to my taste

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:07 pm

Tesco were selling off some "World Food" items at next to nothing. I grabbed a couple of cans of Portuguese Fejoida Stew, at 9p each (a bean stew, a bit like cassoulet). When I got home, I read the ingredients, as it was unclear from the label what meat was in it.

"Pigs Head: 20%". Aaaargh! Well at least they are honest, I am sure if it was a British product they'd use a euphemism.

Postby Renée » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:11 pm

Fine, but what part of the pig's head? :shock:

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:42 am

I will invent my own acronym, it contains lots of tasty "elnec".

Eyes, lips, nose, ears and cheek.

I also got a Katsu Curry kit, not because I can't make it better myself, but just out of curiosity to see what their kit version tastes like, probably pants. That was 20p.

And two jars of Tesco finest mincemeat, at 20p each.

Postby Renée » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:04 pm

That made me laugh, Sakks, although probably true!

The mincemeat will come in handy for Christmas. It's getting towards that time, isn't it?

:rudolph1

Postby Pampy » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:28 pm

Sprouts on!

Postby Petronius » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:55 pm

A range of red, white and rose wine in Waitrose this morning - 25% off if buying three or more.

Postby jeral » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:20 pm

There seem to be a few around from supermarkets - probably to take up the slack from people being on holiday.

I did an online shop from Sainsbury - first time so £18 off £60+ grocery spend and further £10 money-off vouchers: http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs/ ... cher-codes
Can't use them on booze though. I wouldn't bother mentioning it except it was good - all there, in date etc.

Postby Renée » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:46 pm

I bought a very enjoyable Carlos Minairo Tempranillo from Asda and bottled in Spain, too for only £3.29 from Asda! Beat that!

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/foo ... -July-2016

Postby Petronius » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:52 pm

Bertolli 500g tubs were half price in Waitrose this morning - I assume other supermarkets are doing the same. Large Helmans were reduced but can't remember the exact size, nor the discount price. :roll:

Postby Renée » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:52 pm

I noticed that tinned beans are now only 300g. They have shrunk.

I like the Bertolli olive oil/butter mix. Yes, the same offers seem to be in most supermarkets.

Update: I was wrong! It's only Waitrose that has the half price offer and it's about seven miles away from me.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:36 am

I didn't even realise they did it, but Morrisons are selling my favourite salami, Finocchiona, for £1 a 100g.

My local Italian deli used to do it, but last time I bought some, when I got home I realised they'd fobbed me off with normal salami, I don't think the counter girl understood what I was asking for. I've not returned there since, unfortunate as apart from Lidl, it was the only place I knew that stocked it...

Wiki: Finocchiona is a salami variety, typical of southern Tuscany, characterized by its use of fennel. It originated in the Renaissance, and possibly even before, in the Late Middle Ages. The use of fennel was an alternative to pepper (a key ingredient of the standard salami), which was very expensive at the time while fennel grew wild and abundant in the Tuscan countryside. Also, fennel is rich of menthol, and because of its anesthetic qualities finocchiona was regularly offered by the winemakers of the Chianti area to their customers before tasting their lower quality wines, to mask their taste.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:14 pm

Morrison's seem to have acquired a good Italian wholesaler this year, the mixed cured meat antipasti and the assorted Italian salami pack are also good value, really nice and cut to just the right thickness

I think it is reasonably new 0- as they have a good shelf life I keep a couple of the £1 pack in the fridge for random lunches

Postby Renée » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:16 pm

Another visit to Morrisons is on the cards!

What an interesting story about the Finocchiona salami, Sakks, although rather naughty of the winemakers to offer it to customers!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:50 pm

Not sure whether to put this on the Cheat or Bargain Basement thread, I went to Morrison's yesterday and bought, for 50p, a 400g pack of peeled & grated root ginger divided into about 20 little blocks and frozen (Taj brand) as I usually freeze ginger anyway I may never peel my own again :)
I'll post on both threads

Postby Renée » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:17 pm

That's a good price, Sue. I cut mine into chunks without peeling, before freezing down and then rinse under warm water, to thaw out the skin and peel. It's easy to slice and chop when frozen.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox