Register

BARGAIN BASEMENT

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: BARGAIN BASEMENT

Postby Renée » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:47 pm

:lol: :lol: I've been weighing up loo rolls for a very long time and checking the number of sheets. I even started putting them on the scales, too. In Asda, I think, the price is shown per 100 sheets, which I always check too!

I bought a Crunchie bar recently which was for the first time in years and was shocked at how small it was.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:31 pm

Renee! :lol: Weighing toilet roll.

Actually, toilet roll is a bug of mine, as are light bulbs.
I had been buying them for 3 years. With the woman I share a studio with never buying them.
So I stopped.
And put some toilet roll in my pocket every time i had to visit.

She got the point - sort of.
By saying I've put a toilet roll in the bog. I figure, one piece per visit. I've used one roll in 6months.

Huh?

She had to go out and buy some lightbulbs, but doesn't know how to change the dead one.
I refused. So she has to ask her husband to come in and do it.
He moans that he feels like the janitor.

I'm not budging an inch.

Postby Renée » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:05 pm

Oh yes, I remember that woman. Very well done to you. :thumbsup Yes, she is the type who just uses people. I know someone like that who is incapable of doing anything for herself. I've had to learn many things since living on my own and have the determination to do things myself and not use other people.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:20 pm

You are a marvel, Renee.
My only problem would probably be spiders. But you can buy a gadget nowadays for that sort of thing, and remain self sufficient.

Postby Pampy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:46 pm

Mentioning spiders reminds me of the time I was looking for a new bathroom and in one showroom that I went into, there was a spider in one of the baths. The owner - a strapping 6ft+ chap, was petrified and refused to go near the bath until I'd taken the poor little spider outside!
I've had to learn to do things for myself too. Fortunately, I was brought up to be "handy" at DIY jobs. The biggest one that I've done is lagging my loft - I was rather proud of that!

Postby Renée » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:47 pm

Very well done, Pampy for lagging the loft. :clap Oh dear, that poor man!

Spiders I'm OK with, but not anything dead. Occasionally one of my pet spiders gets trampled upon. It's very upsetting and I hate removing it. :o

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:38 am

The unofficial motto of my family is "If you want it dome, you get on and do it" (expletives deleted)

It's not gender specific, and it is quite empowering

I was shocked in 1972 when I got to uni to find out what other young women couldn't do, not just "boys jobs" like changing fuses, but many of them had never cleaned their own shoes and a few couldn't do their own ironing

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:55 am

Good mantra, Sue.
I got let down by a tiler. He wasn't going to be cheap, but didn't show, didn't take my calls.
So I did all the tiling myself. 2 x bathrooms, 1 x closet loo with shower.

I proudly left a tiny gap round the piping.
And MIL proceeded to drop an earring that bounced up and into said tiny hole. Defying the laws of probability.

No problem, I'd put in a false door that could be lifted out for access to the workings and stop taps. Ha!

Off to Aldi today, to get some coffee.
It's cheaper than anywhere I know.

Postby Pampy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:47 am

I was shocked when I found out that my (now ex) husband was absolutely useless at DIY etc - I found him trying to put water in the brake fluid reservoir in the car, thinking it was the windscreen washer bottle! And when I came home from a 3-day business trip, everything he'd used in the kitchen was stacked on the worktop. When I asked him why he hadn't put it all in the dishwasher, he said that he didn't know where they went! In fact, thinking about it, he was useless at almost everything except his incredibly technical and complex job.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:52 am

My friend's husband was useless at DIY too.
She made the mistake of moaning about his wonky shelf.

To which he replied my dad died when I was 9. I was never shown how to do this sort of thing. Whooops.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:02 pm

That annoys me Gill
I have a friend who bleats "nobody taught me to do that when I was growing up", the implication apparently being that the rest of us were raised in training as peasants

Nobody taught me to put up shelves, paint ceilings, change tap washers or do basic car maintenance when I was growing up, when those things needed doing I found out or worked out how to do them

Mind, you my OH was the only person I've known who survived military service without learning how to iron a shirt for kit inspection, if it's not your thing...maybe it's never your thing

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:47 pm

Agreed Sue.
My thing is to get stuck in and do it yourself. Which is why I do my own framing, sewing etc.
My facebook page is littered with jolly handbags.
One day I'll make one.

Postby Suffs » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:53 am

My go to bog standard every day socks have, for years, been Waitrose multipacks ... the black ones with coloured toes and heels ... round about £5 for 5 pairs. They have worn well and I've had some of them for years and years. They usually get lost before they wear out.

I bought some more last week ... the fabric felt suspiciously thinner ... one pair had a hole worn in the toe in less than a day ... and yes, I had trimmed my toe-nails :roll:

Postby Petronius » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:42 pm

Ah, the uselessness of ex's. :D

I'm one of those - an ex and pretty useless – or so my Dad said.

But think about it; anyone can put up a straight shelf, it takes someone with rare talent to put up a wonky shelf! Every time. :roll:

However, MrsOH II reckons Monday's carrot cake was first class – what other skill does anyone need? :?:

Postby Pampy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:09 pm

He was useless before he became an ex! :lol:

Postby Petronius » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:38 am

Pampy wrote:He was useless before he became an ex! :lol:

:lol:

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:37 am

Star baker goes to Dennis. Magic1

To be fair, I can fully understand a slope on a shelf. You cannot be at both ends at the same time screwing it in.
So the chances of an accidental movement are fairly high.

Not a bargain basement.
At the supermarket rubber necking offers on the sushi shelf late afternoon.

I'm sorry - still £3.95 reduced for a medium packet. Why are those bites so expensive.

Postby Petronius » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:49 pm

Waitrose are currently doing Bertoli at 25% off, and pack of Scottish mussels in white sauce the same.

On the other hand their £10 meal for two is now £15. That's an enormous jump.

Postby smitch » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:10 pm

I noticed the Waitrose meal deal includes a starter and dessert now, but the price increase is more than the extra item would cost to buy on its own.

Postby Petronius » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:22 pm

smitch, I've just checked with OH - we're sure the £10 deal was always three food items, though could've been main, side and dessert plus drink.

Happy to be corrected by someone with a better memory. :D

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox