Register

Yet another foodscare :-(

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: Yet another foodscare :-(

Postby Renée » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:28 pm

Thanks for the very interesting information, Sue.

Postby hungryhousewife » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:53 pm

Oh dear! Poor potato growers! Potatoes have been pretty rotten for the last few years. They finally get a decent crop, and now this news! Yikes!

I met with a friend the other day, who has just been diagnosed with MS - very shocking for her, but thankfully she is not too bad - they recommended she stops eating potatoes, among other things, apparently due to it being from the Solanum/nightshade family! Does that mean we should all stop eating peppers, aubergines, chillies and tomatoes too?????

Gosh life is going to be dull!

I think I might take up smoking and join KK with a beer and a fag!!

:gonzo :gonzo :gonzo

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:18 pm

Hello HH

Sorry to hear about your friend being diagnosed with MS. If she is on medication, there could be something in it that would react with the potatoes to stop it working properly.

Generally, the thing that annoys me about the food scaremongering articles in the press is that one year they tell you that a food or drink item is bad for you. Then some years later, more research is done on the same thing and the results prove that 'actually, it's not so bad for you after all'. This has happened with both eggs and red wine in recentish years. I find it's always worth finding out where the information has come from - e.g. anything negative about all dairy products which has been instigated by a vegan author/organisation. Yeah, right no hidden agenda there then (she mutters sarcastically) :roll:.

If I see anything on Facebook on the subject of foodscares, I am always sceptical, and have found that American articles are particularly bad. I once read a food avoidance article for gout sufferers a couple of years after I was diagnosed with it. Gawd, if I avoided every single item on the list I would only be able to eat about 5 things - that was never going to happen. I vowed then that I would make sure I drink plenty of water every day to stop the flare-ups and avoid eating too much salt. Ever since then it hasn't been too bad. I can even eat beef occasionally and lamb doesn't affect me at all. If it does flare up I find it's best to keep using the foot because gentle exercise does break up the crystals so they dissolve quicker. Resting doesn't do it any good at all.

Postby Renée » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:38 am

I do think that all the stress worrying about these health scares does us more damage!

I had gout and the attacks were increasing, which was worrying, so I took a course of high-dose probiotics from Holland & Barratt and I just stopped getting attacks. I never think about it these days, but don't always take the pro-biotics now.

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend, HH. It seems to vary so much with each individual. My friend's daughter was bedridden for a while, but then the symptoms ceased and she went on to have another baby and whilst my friend and I were on a holiday with Janet and her husband, they went cycling through the mountains.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:52 am

I'm afraid I get gout too, but never really think about it in between attacks. My left toe is threatening at the moment...

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:03 pm

I have had two close friends and one relative who died from oesophageal cancer but all three both smoked, one heavily and drank, mainly spirits. As Sue said if you cause damage then there is room for many nasties to take over.

As for potatoes. I know it is unwise to eat green ones but I am not sure about the rest. We have a very close friend, who used to be a GP before she was diagnosed with MS many years ago. She happily eats and drinks just about anything and is not on any medication though she is confined to a wheelchair and is increasingly suffering from memory problems. However she is a tribute to the power of positive thought aided and abetted by an incredibly devoted husband wo travels up and down between here and their other place in Kent.

i was once advised not to eat tomatoes, aubergines and peppers to help my arthritis. I believd it for a whil and then thought to hell with this. I love them all and even if they don't do much for my joints they'll keep the rest of me healthy. I can't say I have noticed any deterioration either - not that I'm exactly flexible and spritely anymore but then I never was going to be.

Postby Renée » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:26 pm

Sakkarin wrote:I'm afraid I get gout too, but never really think about it in between attacks. My left toe is threatening at the moment...

I used to take anti-inflammatories at the first sign to prevent it developing, Indometacin (prescribed) or Ibuprofen soon had it under control.

I took these for a few months, but don't need them now.

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/p ... s-60001540

Postby miss-mouse » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:54 pm

Is Allopurinol (IIRC) out of vogue?

Gout is grim and everyone laughs, also bunions ditto. Isn't it purines which are the culprit which are to be found more in wholesome food such as lentils?

Much sympathy, gout sufferers.

Postby Renée » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:20 pm

I don't think that it's out of vogue, but I had a reaction to it.

Yes, certain foods are high in purines, in particular oily fish and as you mentioned, lentils. It's probably most protein foods. It's easy enough to find the list online of foods that need to be avoided, or at least, cut back on. Drinking plenty of water is important too. I've no idea why my gout has disappeared. I eat oily fish all the time and other foods that contain purines.

Postby hungryhousewife » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:28 am

thank you Strictly for your helpful words. I totally agree about research often being carried out by someone with a vested interest (Just take Statins as an example! I bet there's something in this new trade deal with the States that makes it compulsory for doctors to prescribe them!!) Sorry - must stop being cynical!!! :birthday-dancer :birthday-dancer

Joan, I have often heard of the solanums being bad for arthritis. (I drink apple cider vinegar when I feel a bit of arthritis coming on in my nuckles, and it seems to keep it away - but I don't suffer badly - yet!!!)

I hear Cholesterol is now supposed to make you live longer!! Hey ho!!!

HH

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:42 am

miss-mouse wrote:Is Allopurinol (IIRC) out of vogue?

Gout is grim and everyone laughs, also bunions ditto. Isn't it purines which are the culprit which are to be found more in wholesome food such as lentils?

Much sympathy, gout sufferers.

Gout varies in severity, for people with the most severe forms I understand it's important to follow a low purine diet to reduce the risk of kidney failure as well as pain

Allopurinol still all there is I think, but more awareness of side effects

My friend was part of a research group working on gout, some of the group were also sufferers, ouch. They found out a lot about the disease process and fine tuning management but no breakthrough

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:49 pm

Oh dear another part of my life that is toxic.

I see looking back that Stokey has already mentioned acrylamide here in a thread on spuds. I'm afraid acrylamide had passed me by, it's only just come to my attention in an online anti-acrycrylamide campaign which I was asked to support.

The most shocking thing in this Q&A is that even my poor old slice of toast at breakfast is deemed a potential killer. The suggestion is "should be toasted to the lightest colour acceptable". As I said in Asda's cafe when I gave it back and asked them to cook it properly - "That's warm bread, not toast...".

https://www.food.gov.uk/science/acrylamide

So what is left in a Full English that has not been deemed toxic at some stage?

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:44 pm

I think the Full English is perfectly well explained to the Food Scare Gnomes by referring to the Bible.

You know; " Sodom, for Gomorrah we die" :gonzo :gonzo :gonzo

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:38 pm

Postby Petronius » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:03 pm

Inspired by this and 'what to put in the fridge' thread.

Two old men in an old people's home, sitting in their specially adapted chairs, walking sticks by their side, no-one talking to anyone. One turns to the other and says, 'Fred, just think, if we'd spent our lives having full English every day, read meat for dinner, beer, wine, spirits, smoked and chased loose women, we'd have missed all this.'

You gotta smile at least. :thumbsup

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:18 pm

:lol: :lol:
:rudolph1

Postby Renée » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:36 pm

I missed seeing your post, Dennis, due to being away. That was so funny and probably true!!!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:08 pm

Just spotted this piccy of the fullest full English I've ever seen! I like that there's a quail's egg in there to give an illusion of restraint, if there weren't an extra large egg lurking beneath the bacon behind it...

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:38 pm

Not a foodscare, but in the same ballpark:

Last night I made a recipe from the "Blue Elephant" Thai cookbook, for which most of the recipes include "Blue Elephant Special Sauce", for which the alternative given is to use Maggi Seasoning, which I used instead.

I knew Maggi was renowned for its MSG content, but I thought I'd check out what else was in it, and found that most of it is "hydrolised vegetable protein", which I've encountered many times before, but realised I had no idea what it really is. Googling provided this answer "Hydrolysed vegetable protein is produced by boiling foods such as soy, corn, or wheat in hydrochloric acid and then neutralising the solution with sodium hydroxide. The acid breaks down the protein in vegetables into their component amino acids."

Sounds pretty disgusting, but the search also threw up a number of critical articles suggesting that there might be problems with HVP. Hence this article by Tate and Lyle's PR department making out it is the most wonderful product in the universe:

http://www.tateandlyle.com/ingredientsa ... teins.aspx

For me you can take the sentence "We have spent nearly a century carefully crafting our expertise to develop HVP solutions" with "HVP was developed nearly a century ago, and since then we have spent most of our resources on producing upbeat PR material to neutralise the bad press it has got".

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:19 pm

Don't forget your stomach produces a load of hydrochloric acid

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox