Register

Yet another foodscare :-(

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: Yet another foodscare :-(

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Wed May 18, 2016 11:39 am

Edamame gives women breast cancer apparently :lol:

My advice is, eat food in moderation, drink in moderation, exercise in moderation. We will all die one day but making sensible decisions may give us another few years.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed May 18, 2016 12:31 pm

Sakkarin wrote:Oh dear, now it's potatoes that are going to wipe us out, and not just the green bits...

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016 ... be-harmful

The list of suspect foods is now one closer to everything.

Given the size of the study, it's an interesting thing to look out for in future prospective studies, but that is actually a well balanced article that quotes several experts who all say , more or less, "interesting but don't change your diet based on it"

If most Brits replaced spuds in their diet, changes are they'd eat bread, pasta, or rice, and probably raise their calorie intake from carbs without reducing salt & fat significantly (especially if they took to bread and butter)

The trick seems to be to eat a varied diet - the point of the much maligned 5 a day is that it is five different fruit/veg, minimising the intake of any toxin, increasing the number of possible nutrients by variety

That always seems to me fairly easy to follow

I stick with my mantra
"Eat [real, recognisable] food. Not too much. Mostly plants"

And I shall have a baked spud for lunch, as my tum is not very happy (possibly die to a "gourmet" hot dog)

Postby Amyw » Wed May 18, 2016 3:42 pm

I do think there is a lot of dangerous information relating to food and the latest danger/wonder food fad. My personal philosophy is similar to Sue's, I try to eat a varied diet with lots of fruit and veg, not too many carbs and as much homemade,unprocessed food as possible .

Saying that,theres always room for some decent fish and chips.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed May 18, 2016 3:57 pm

I must apologise to the hot dog
I think the problem was cask conditioned craft beer - I've always been fairly intolerant of brewer's yeast, and it seems it is getting worse., I'd have thought I was in my safe limits for alcohol and yeasts!

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Wed May 18, 2016 3:57 pm

Sakkarin wrote:Oh dear, now it's potatoes that are going to wipe us out, and not just the green bits...

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016 ... be-harmful

The list of suspect foods is now one closer to everything.

Oh flippin'eck, not another one..... I am sure the main reason for the results is down to the salt, fat/butter/dairy added during the cooking process or at the table not the humble spud itself.

I am also with WFF, Stokey and Amyw on this subject.

Postby Uschi » Thu May 19, 2016 8:14 am

Germany is doomed.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Mon May 23, 2016 9:53 am

I read this on the Beeb news website this morning, but at least there does seem to be some sense about this one. I've always been dubious about the so-called health benefits of a high fat diet!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-36345768

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon May 23, 2016 1:16 pm

Is it a leftover April Fool?

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Mon May 23, 2016 2:06 pm

Since my I studied Sports Science at uni I have always been an advocate of a high unsaturated fat diet. I have always used this approach.

My general diet has always included nuts, seeds and fish and I have never been shy with the rapeseed oil :lol:

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon May 23, 2016 2:35 pm

Is it a leftover April Fool?

That would be a rhubarb one, presumably. Not sure how good that would be after thorough reheating.

I remember reading a few years ago about a cardiologist who suggested that butter should be banned. It led me to ponder about fat intake in general, and dairy fat in particular, and thought that butter was at worst a minor source of saturates compared to other dairy products, and especially when meat and bakery goods were also considered. This caused me some puzzlement as to why butter was being singled out as the culprit. However, it all became clear once I realised that the news was announced by the press agency of a global manufacturer of non-dairy spreads...

Postby Renée » Mon May 23, 2016 5:48 pm

Uschi wrote:Germany is doomed.

True!! :lol: :lol:

When I think about how little my mother ate, with no fruit, not much in the way of vegetables maybe a couple of leaves in a sandwich of Little Gem lettuce. She didn't drink, was very calm and relaxed, had her faith and lived to the age of 101. Makes you think, doesn't it?

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon May 23, 2016 8:00 pm

I`ve always tried to balance my diet and have so far survived 64 years without any major health events (apart from severe food poisoning as a result of a prawn vindaloo in 1970). :rudolph1 :rudolph1

Sometimes, these reports absolutely exasperate me. Don´t these researchers THINK before they publish their findings? Don´t they realise the potential for world-wide panic attacks? Don´t they understand that there are a whole LOT of people out there who take these reports seriously? We must all know by now, [i]ad nauseum[/], that living a healthy life does NOT depend on how many potatoes,cigarettes, bottles of whisky, spinach balls, chia seeds or organically-produced amaranth leaves one consumes, but rather on a healthy diet and, unfortunately, a bit of luck, ie. not getting run over by a bus.
AARRGGHH!!e

Time for a fag and a double bacon and sausage buttie.... :gonzo :gonzo :gonzo :gonzo :gonzo

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon May 23, 2016 8:17 pm

This isn't so much new research as a group coming out very strongly with recommendations based, they claim, on overview of the research available
The groups concerned are National Obesity Forum and the Public Health Collaboration

But I don't believe they have done formal meta analysis

The government advisory bodies are NOT amused

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/phe-response-to-the-national-obesity-forum-and-public-health-collaboration-opinion-paper

Public Health England wrote:'Eat Fat, Cut the Carbs and Avoid Snacking To Reverse Obesity and Type 2 Diabetes' report is irresponsible and misleads the public.
Last edited by Stokey Sue on Wed May 25, 2016 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Petronius » Wed May 25, 2016 10:41 am

Sakkarin wrote:I keep meaning to create a couple of lists, one of foods which have been in scares and the other of foods which are supposedly bad for you which have ended up being shown to be beneficial. Maybe I'll get around to it one day!

Looks like we're doing it for you Sakkarin I reckon this thread will run for a few years. :thumbsup

Postby Renée » Wed May 25, 2016 11:24 pm

I'm afraid that it would take too long for you to do that, Sakkarin ... a never-ending job!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:10 pm

Hot drinks now, give you oesophageal (had to double check spelling on that...) cancer. Not coffee though.

In fact this is astonishing:
"...scientists found an “inverse relationship” between drinking coffee and certain types of cancer. Liver cancer dropped by 15% for each cup of coffee drunk..."

Maybe if you alternate a pint with a cup of coffee they cancel each other out?

https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... t-says-who

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:19 pm

Basically the study on maté suggests that drinks served & consumed at more than 65 deg C may contribute to oesophageal damage leading to cancer

Seems reasonable frankly, that's quite hot enough to damage living tissue I'd have thought

Think I'm safe
The only "hot" drink I really like is coffee
I actually don't like it very hot, more bathwater temperature

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:27 pm

That's a good comparison, cold coffee and tea are both like bathwater! I'm afraid I drink them both at volcanic temperatures. And "pot soups" even hotter...

Postby Renée » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:52 pm

My brother died from oesophageal cancer. His wife always insisted on drinking the tea before it cooled down and was always asking if it was hot enough. He didn't smoke.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:43 pm

Sorry to hear that Renée, first funeral I went to this year was someone who died of oesophageal cancer

A significant number of cancers are thought to be caused by things that cause small amounts of damage (such as scalding in this case) and happen often, so that your body has to constantly make running repairs The more minor repairs, the more chance one will go wrong and lead t trouble
It seems to be almost that simple, though obviously not responsible for all cancers, probably a relatively low percentage

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox