Register

Yet another foodscare :-(

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: Yet another foodscare :-(

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:48 pm

That full English looks like something Guy Fieri would eat!

That's gotta be a sharing platter right.....?!?!

I've never been keen on Maggi seasoning - was glad to see the bottle lurking in the cupboard for a few yrs go - it has a synthetic taste to me - apart from my being sensitive to msg that is. :thumbsdown

Postby jeral » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:37 pm

Hmm. Some people are definitely allergic to MSG (my niece's face swells and difficulty breathing, so close to anaphylactic shock), but I think HVP is less strong so probably safe unless one is personally affected. Similar to the reactions some have with mycoprotein (e.g. Quorn) although considered safe if not adversely affected.

I don't like the smell of MSG which worries me as it's the olfactory sense that warns animals in advance what's not good for them. I don't like the taste either so I tend to avoid it. Can't say I have a problem with HVP (sorry, dunno if niece does).

Interesting you mention Maggi as I bought a couple of packet soups which were on special and all I could taste was MSG.
-----

Yes, that is one mammoth Full English. Q: What's that thing on the right just above the two sausages?

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:55 pm

I was thinking more Adam Richman, who does the excrable Man vs. Food shows than Guy Fieri, but that breakfast would certainly challenge me!

My friend and I had wonderful chunky chips with pimped up mayo, we were trying to decide what had been added, definitely some form of chilli, we suspected harissa, but I think I'd use sriracha, and we thought a drop or two of Maggi to give it depth. Very good

Postby jeral » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:21 pm

Sorry, off topic, but yes Alan Richman - goodness knows where he puts it all in Man v Food. He does a "Man finds food" now locating hidden restaurants and off-menu items around the globe (so half a travelogue prog). London was shown at the weekend, a resto in Rope Walk found via an antiques emporium (and a couple of others). Alan's reputation must precede him given portion sizes he's offered. He must have an ultra-fast metabolism as he was shown running quickly up a flight of at least 20 steps ("Rocky" style).

As you were :)

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:55 pm

my impression is that Adam Richman has actually slimmed down a bit :o must be some kind of ultra 5:2 perhaps?

I don't mind Guy Fieri, cooks at the quality end of fast food have to be ultra efficient and you can pick up some good tips

Postby Pampy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:35 am

Adam Richman apparently did a lot of exercise and ate "normally" when not filming "Man Vs Food". He also went on a diet and exercise regime when the programme finished.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:41 am

See acrylamide has hit the headlines again

Do not cook starchy foods until darker than golden (it would of course be nice if most establishment cooked their chips as dark as golden)

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-38680622

But many of the experts think it's very much a maybe

But whether or not acrylamide causes these effects in humans depends upon the level of exposure - and some are not convinced that there is any real danger to public health.

David Spiegelhalter, professor for the public understanding of risk at Cambridge University, said there was no estimate of the current harm caused by acrylamide or the benefit from a reduction.

He said: "Even adults with the highest consumption of acrylamide would need to consume 160 times as much to reach a level that might cause increased tumours in rats."

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:08 pm

Toast is toast. Golden bread is just warm bread. I'm afraid I'll stick with the acrylamide. It hasn't killed me yet, so I'll consider myself a test case, and if I die of toast, so be it.

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:18 pm

Unless it's changed recently, I believe acrylamide is classified by IARC (the bit of WHO concerned with cancer) as a 'probable human carcinogen' - the same category as red meat, hot beverages, being a hairdresser or doing shift work. There is less certainty of a carcinogenic effect for these than with known carcinogens such as smoking, booze and sunlight.

However, over a few decades of looking at these and other lists, it's interesting to note the change in classification for various compounds, usually towards more severe categories as more and better evidence becomes available. The classifications relate to whether there is any or sufficient evidence of a carcinogenic effect, rather than your chances of getting cancer; bacon and plutonium are in the same category but one is somewhat riskier than the other.

Postby Petronius » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:22 pm

You beat me to it Sue. :D

But isn't this last year's news, I'm sure I've come across it before - last year no-one mention beef burgers caramelised on barbecues.

In a few minutes I'll be having caramelised bread for lunch. Wish me luck. :crossed

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:27 pm

Well summed up Badger's Mate.

I certainly won't be giving up my roasties.....!

What about charcoal? People used to regularly clean their teeth with it didn't they and then there's dog chews..........

( for dogs not people - before anyone says it)!

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:36 pm

I have a pack of charcoal biscuits for cheese, very trendy (came as part of a mixed selection, I didn't choose them)

I really don't think I'll worry about acrylamide; it seems to be another of those things that is clearly carcinogenic in rats when fed in stupid amount but no evidence at all that it is carcinogenic in humans at normal levels, so far

Seems to have come up again because the FSA have revised their warning text

I reiterate my mantra
Eat [real] food. not too much. musty plants

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:15 pm

Didn't the scare about barbecued food flare up decades ago? Was it the same culprit back then?

Musty? Mostly?

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:25 pm

Earlier concerns about burnt toast and barbeques concerned other combustion products such as benzopyrenes

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:45 pm

jeral wrote:What's that thing on the right just above the two sausages?

Pass!

Something with grated cheese on it, over-grilled? A cremated rosti?

Postby Uschi » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:34 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I have a pack of charcoal biscuits for cheese, very trendy (came as part of a mixed selection, I didn't choose them)

I really don't think I'll worry about acrylamide; it seems to be another of those things that is clearly carcinogenic in rats when fed in stupid amount but no evidence at all that it is carcinogenic in humans at normal levels, so far

Seems to have come up again because the FSA have revised their warning text

I reiterate my mantra
Eat [real] food. not too much. musty plants

What??? You mean they tried to stop Germans eating their beloved cinnamon star biscuits for Christmas for nothing??? :evil: :evil: :evil: :roll:

Luckily it didn't work, we still eat them. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Petronius » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:55 pm

Good for you Uschi!

Nice stroll to the library, read the i, who highlighted roasties, parsnip etc, Times did the Toast bit.

Looks like I've survived, might risk another after the evening's meal - liver and bacon.

Cremated Rosti - we're quite certain it's a rosti.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:01 pm

So it's not a Full English, but a Partially Swiss :-(

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:20 pm

Sakkarin wrote:So it's not a Full English, but a Partially Swiss :-(

What - like Roger Federer?

Postby Petronius » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:42 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:
Sakkarin wrote:So it's not a Full English, but a Partially Swiss :-(