Register

Advertisements that annoy...

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Advertisements that annoy...

Postby jeral » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:38 pm

Current one is "hand-scored" rind on pork shoulder joint (Asda). It's probably skin that's been draped over whatever meat roll (they all do that) and it might be very good & good value.

What annoys me is that a purportedly caring "butcher" is clearly seen scoring the rind right through into the meat. Is this another case of PR and knowledgeable people having offices well distant from one another? Or maybe it's just me and skin rind should be scored right through and into the meat. Er, no.

What are your throw-TV-out-the-window food ads?

Also just for fun, those you'd ban just because you know you'd rush out and buy some (Maltesers and Bailey's would be mine - luv 'em).

Re: Advertisements that annoy...

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:16 am

Morning jeral!

My throw the TV out of the window one was the Greggs bakery one that was used a couple of years ago. It implied that all their goods were hand-crafted - er really????? :? I think their all machine made, with staff checking quality only.....

The ones I would ban are Pringles, and crème eggs :vomit - for the crème eggs only, not the Pringles lol!

Postby jeral » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:56 pm

You're right about Gregg's generally as there's been a programme about them (Ch.4 IIRC) and showed their machine production lines for meat pies so they aren't handcrafted. I suppose some things might be although I struggle with that in principle as, having many outlets, a point of insistence in the prog was that products had to be identical in every shop.

Creme Eggs can't go in Room 101 as they are so good for finding cavities in one's teeth :mrgreen:
Probably for making a few as well :(

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:24 pm

One that really annoyed me was the Uncle Ben's Express rice, with a trendy young couple setting a table with flowers & nice crockery & cutlery in order to share a pouch of microwave rice

OK rice with bits in it. But not a meal surely, just a side dish?

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:28 pm

That "hand-scored" one irked me too, because it reminded me of a pet hate - in practice most of the time supermarket-bought pork belly is unusable because they have scored it so badly. It is a relief to occasionally see it in supermarkets UNbutchered.

All Uncle Ben's ads annoy me, because it is the nastiest rice you could imagine, however much they try and tart it up.

All ice cream ads have me craving ice cream...

Don't mention Knorr.

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:54 pm

Sakkarin wrote:Don't mention Knorr.

:lol:

Me too!
And What have they done with MPW?!?!
Slimey tho' he was in a disturbingly psychotic way - this one makes me want to hit him with a giant pestle..............!

I know there are others who irritate me - just can't think at the mo'!

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:01 pm

You shouldn´t get upset about the Knorr adverts, Sakkarin.

Simply igknorr them..... :gonzo :gonzo :gonzo :gonzo :gonzo :gonzo :gonzo

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:53 am

Not exactly an advert but a promo that's slightly got my goat

I bought a ready-made fish pie :oops:

I often have one on standby in the freezer

This one was 33% extra free

The point is, it is an individual fish pie, a single serving; so it this an admission that the standard size is too small, or is it just unnecessary calories that I'll probably eat because they are on the plate? :?

Postby jeral » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:07 pm

The Knorr advert is still being shown, so ages after it was introduced. Not sure what to read into that ongoing expenditure. Unfortunately MPW makes my skin crawl so I couldn't bring myself to buy it anyway.

An item I noticed in the Co-op but have not seen advertised is Saccla's pesto sauce in several flavours. The jar wasn't much bigger than a proper pesto one. Is that just a money spinner, or more a sign of the times that people wouldn't know how to rattle up something as basic as that? In today's culture, I'd have thought it'd sell better in pouches, not to mention wasting (and having to pay for) a jar for a one-time use.

This is not really a gripe, more general puzzlement as to Why? However, since even homemade pesto is jolly expensive, I'll watch out for a bogof ;)

Most annoying advert at the moment is a Honda car one which uses the whistling tune from the film Twisted Nerve. It sticks in my head all day, which is probably why they chose it, the rotters! :lol:

Sakkarin refers to advertising on carriers. I reckon that's fair do's if free, but emblazened "bags for life" that you pay for is a blinking cheek IMO.

Has anyone noticed how advertising has shifted almost completely from "Mmm, Yummy" to "Look how cheap"? I wonder if that'll change if the Conservatives (and their continued austerity) are unsuccessful on 7 May...

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:11 pm

The really grating thing about the MPW Knorr ad is they haven't even bothered to make the food look nice

Pallid Bolognese sauce (how do they get it so colourless?) served a l'inghlese, as a little turban of sauce atop a pile of sticky looking spaghetti

The Sacla pesto sauce isn't bad actually - it's just runny pesto in a ketchup style squeezey bottle, handy when you just want a condiment for your grilled tomatoes or your sandwich

The trouble with homemade pesto is it doesn't keep unless frozen, like mayo even if you make your own it is still handy to have some ready in the fridge at times - it's not a case of not knowing how to make the authentic version, more a case of real life getting in the way

Postby BelgianEndive » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:46 pm

I sort of tend to "tune out" when advertising comes up on tv, so mostly I don't remember how they go. There is one of Fleury Michon ham which has "outdoor types" eating slices of ham with a knife and their fingers :shock: We have the pesto which may be the same as the one Jeral is talking about. I laughed when that came on because I'd never ever buy ready made pesto. There are quite a few cheesy ones, goatcheese or feta mostly. Then there is the one with the Milka cow which is ridiculous and the one for Jeff de Bruges chocolates. They are chocolates which are manufactured near Marseille and they taste gross. They always try to imply they are chocolates from Belgium, hah! :tongueout

Talking about scored rind this is not advertising but what really upsets me no end is that our butcher (and he has excellent meat) wraps absolutely all roasts, fillet of beef, veal, porkloin, tournedos, gigot of lamb, in a sheet of fat and then it is tied with umpteen knots of twine :roll: So when I buy beef fillet, veal fillet, I have to order it "non bardé". What makes me so angry is that inside the rolls of fat they put fillet but they're smaller pieces recomposed, so when you pan fry a thick slice of beef fillet with the barde around it, it falls apart invariably. :evil: And the price isn't cheaper. I order my meat without every time. They did that with a filet de biche Christmas before last. I could have killed the guy. I roasted it to perfection and let it sit for a while. Then started slicing it. Sure enough it was in pieces (at 70€ per kg). Nice when you have guests! When I ordered the one for last Christmas and I went to get it, he had it wrapped. I said, I'd like to see it please. Thankfully it was not surrounded by fat and it was one piece and my slices didn't end up in small bits. Aaarrrgghhh, rant over, forgive me ;) I'm not very popular there I'm afraid. When I lived in Brussels I never had this problem and it was hard for me to understand why they were constantly doing this here in Paris.

I'll be paying more attention to the ads on tv! :D

Postby hungryhousewife » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:25 am

Not a 'TV ad, but it really annoys me every time I see it, is the sign on many pork sausages and pork products saying 'out door bred'! I find it really duplicitous, as they are trying to suggest that the food is actually free-range - whereas in fact it just means that the 'insemination' took place outside - probably in a concrete yard somewhere!
Quite a few of the supermarkets are using this 'tag', so watch out for it. :crying2

HH

Postby hungryhousewife » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:29 am

Ugh! that ghastly one with Marco Pierre White, with his greasy floppy hair, asking for the provenance of the meat for his bolognese, then using a cube/pot whatever they are! I can't bare it and have to switch over!

HH

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:20 pm

hungryhousewife wrote:Not a 'TV ad, but it really annoys me every time I see it, is the sign on many pork sausages and pork products saying 'out door bred'! I find it really duplicitous, as they are trying to suggest that the food is actually free-range - whereas in fact it just means that the 'insemination' took place outside - probably in a concrete yard somewhere!
Quite a few of the supermarkets are using this 'tag', so watch out for it. :crying2

HH

HH most of the pork I see says outdoor reared" not outdoor bred, which is a bit more meaningful - I assume it is those little camps of miniature Nissan huts I see all over Hampshire

Postby jeral » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:55 pm

Resurrected for an advert yesterday, for a light cordless vacuum. I laughed out loud.

Quote from delighted housewife, arguably with misplaced passion:
"This has brought a whole new meaning to vacuuming."

Has the old meaning of cleaning up muck been replaced then?

I've always said cordless gadgets are life changing (ever since cordless drills years ago). Dunno about battery recycling though if there'll be trillions around soon.
---

Another advert (kitchen designer) with pointless words is:
"We do it all so you pay the right price."

See, that's much better than saying "We usually overcharge including to cover the cost of TV advertising." ;)

Postby mark111757 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:18 pm

Jeral

Talk about Gregg's and sausage rolls......I worked at a pizza chain from three years of my life. The idea was that the product was to look the same no matter what location you were in. Great in theory. Reality might be a hell of a lot different.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:58 pm

I so rarely watch t.v. however, all junk food has always disturbed me .. Anything loaded with chemicals and genetically modified rubbish ..

I do not mind a travel advertisement or a film perhaps or a programme coming on ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox