Register

is it necessary?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

is it necessary?

Postby kari49 » Fri May 11, 2012 4:48 pm

to salt aubergines anymore? i am making a parmagiana(think ive spelt it right) havent made for a few years, aubergines i don,t buy often so not sure if you still have to, what do you all do? thanks as always :) karen

Re: is it necessary?

Postby cooksalot » Fri May 11, 2012 4:56 pm

I made a parmigiana on Tuesday and didn't salt and drain the aubergines. I used a tip from Simon Hopkinson - i.e. to slice them and douse them with olive oil prior to frying (I did this in a baking tray and used my hands to make sure they were evenly oiled. I seasoned lightly with salt prior to frying in a dry non-stick frying pan. Works well!

Postby kari49 » Fri May 11, 2012 4:59 pm

good tip ! thank you! i always use far too much oil, i shall try that! thanks again! :thumbsup :) karen

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri May 11, 2012 5:01 pm

I don't usually salt them, but I do recall reading that if you salt them, they soak up less oil when you fry them, which would be a distinct advantage, as when I tried making moussaka it was swimming in oil :-(

Postby hungryhousewife » Fri May 11, 2012 5:08 pm

Hi Kari! I never salt my aubergines - I liberally douse the slices in olive oil, salt and pepper - spread on a baking tray and roast in the oven for 10 mins on each side! Lovely golden aubergine slices, without all the smoke in the kitchen!

I love parmigiana too!
HH

Postby kari49 » Fri May 11, 2012 5:09 pm

again brilliant idea! thank you! :thumbsup :) karen

Postby kari49 » Fri May 11, 2012 5:21 pm

i didnt set out to make this it while watching CDWM at lunchtime a contestant made it and i thought OOH! that is my tea/supper sorted! :thumbsup :) karen

Postby kari49 » Fri May 11, 2012 5:26 pm

HH what oven temp do you put them in the oven for please? thank you! :) karen

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 11, 2012 6:20 pm

Sakkarin wrote:I don't usually salt them, but I do recall reading that if you salt them, they soak up less oil when you fry them, which would be a distinct advantage, as when I tried making moussaka it was swimming in oil :-(

hungryhousewife wrote:Hi Kari! I never salt my aubergines - I liberally douse the slices in olive oil, salt and pepper - spread on a baking tray and roast in the oven for 10 mins on each side! Lovely golden aubergine slices, without all the smoke in the kitchen!

I love parmigiana too!
HH

Ian on the BBC board tried the experiment, and the pre-salted (disgorged) aubergines took up a significantly lower weight of oil when shallow fried

I don't salt but I do bake - though I season after, not before, baking; and I actually spray or brush with oil

Purists look away now - but you can adapt parmigiana to make a very good veggie lasagne!

Postby kari49 » Fri May 11, 2012 6:28 pm

i did bake them sue and i was impressed about how little oil was absorbed, i will try ian,s way as well, thank you all for your replies as always :thumbsup :) karen

Postby Joanbunting » Sat May 12, 2012 1:58 pm

I prefer to bake/roast aubergines too. I rub the baking sheet with olive oil put the slices on then spray a little oil on them. You do have to keep an eye on them in case they over-cook.

When I bake large aubergines for the local dish called Papeton I start them off cut side down - again on an oiled baking sheet.

M is in the garden right now planting the aubergine plants we bought this morning.

Postby jeral » Sat May 12, 2012 3:23 pm

As I understand it, it isn't necessary to salt aubergines as it used to be to take out bitterness as they grow different strains now. I've found that if I salt them, they go brown unless slices dipped in acidulated water before salting and standing.

If oil is undesirable, the slices can be softened in a microwave briefly in a loose-lidded wide shallow pot with a tablespoon of water added. That doesn't colour them, but if buried, the colour isn't seen anyway and since they don't "caramelise" as such, as far as I know frying/baking is just colour - and oil taste of course.

Postby kari49 » Sat May 12, 2012 9:37 pm

hiya joan what is papaton please? thank you :) karen

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox