Register

Salad Cream

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Salad Cream

Postby ordinarygull » Fri May 11, 2012 1:27 pm

This is on the list of things I was sure I hated, but I've just found out that I don't after a visit to my elderly aunt in her caravan.

I was sure I had a recipe for this somewhere (possibly Gary Rhodes) but can't find one (I've not googled as I'm interested in what you all come up with)

Question is though, if I was to make salad cream would it be an improvement on the shop varieties, or is bottled salad cream just something that is so unique and mass produced that you cannot possibly reproduce it at home?

Re: Salad Cream

Postby kari49 » Fri May 11, 2012 1:56 pm

hiya frances, i have the gary rhodes recipe i also hadone by a lady called susan goode, i will see if i can find it, i did make it once, it was ok, but i must admit i do prefer the bottled variety the more vinegary the better! hope you find what you are looking for :) karen

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri May 11, 2012 2:09 pm

On impulse, your post prompted me to try this recipe from an old Beeb thread. Halved the quantities, and substituted white pepper, white vinegar and ordinary sunflower oil to keep it light and cheapo, but it ended up too white, so I added a few specks of industrial yellow food dye.

It took about 15 minutes start to finish, and it certainly smelt like salad cream while it was cooking. Made about 3/4 pint, I don't know why anyone would want to make it in the full quantities in the recipe!

I will give a proper verdict when it has cooled. Now to find some luncheon meat, boiled eggs, lettuce and tomato to go with it.

http://www.greenchronicle.com/connies_c ... _cream.htm

Les Mains

Postby Les Mains » Fri May 11, 2012 2:48 pm

Sakkarin wrote:I will give a proper verdict when it has cooled. Now to find some luncheon meat, boiled eggs, lettuce and tomato to go with it.

Huh? No cucumber? No mustard and cress? No pickled beetroot? Fine salad that is... :lol:

Postby Joanbunting » Fri May 11, 2012 2:51 pm

Pickled beetroot essential - how else can you get all the colour to run into everything else?

p.s. As some of your Northern posters will confirm. It is not possible to make a cheese savoury stottie without "real" salad cream!!

Postby Binky » Fri May 11, 2012 2:59 pm

Would that be Shirley Good(e) and not Susan? I had a book of hers once. She was considered a 'frugal cook' so making salad cream at home would be one of her recipes for sure.

Postby kari49 » Fri May 11, 2012 2:59 pm

i agree about the beetroot joan! i have never tried cheese savoury with salad cream though? maybe one to try! actally i like chips covered in cheese which is melted and topped with salad cream nom nom! :thumbsup :) karen

Postby kari49 » Fri May 11, 2012 3:01 pm

i stand corrected binky :) karen

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri May 11, 2012 3:13 pm

I have rarely thrown away cookbooks (and with over 300 maybe I should!), but I am afraid that "frugal cook" one ended up in the bin!

P.S. I'll just check that, in case I kept it as my "worst ever cookbook" specimen...

Postby ordinarygull » Fri May 11, 2012 3:20 pm

If you didn't keep it, which one was kept as worst ever cookbook?? - that would be a good thread actually!!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri May 11, 2012 5:53 pm

And here it is in all its pale and insipid glory!!!!

And I even snuck in a bit of beetroot and cress...

P.S. will answer the cookbook question later

Postby kari49 » Fri May 11, 2012 5:57 pm

that looks lovely! enjoy! :clap :thumbsup :) karen

Postby mark111757 » Fri May 11, 2012 7:51 pm

in the green chronicle recipe, i see that it calls for mustard powder....is that as in colemans mustard or the mild/tame stuff we have here in the states???

thanks for clearing that up!!!

cheers!!

:)

Postby cherrytree » Fri May 11, 2012 7:57 pm

We had the conversation about cheese savoury on the Old Board. I think salad cream is an essential constituent of this northern delicacy. Since the correspondence on there and all the tips about it I have perfected the recipe and it is a real hit. I have only used Heinz -don't know what any rival makes would be like.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri May 11, 2012 10:35 pm

Definitely proper Colmans type maxi strength mustard!

P.S. Did anyone notice my silly little weeny plate of salad, with quails eggs and baby cherry tomatoes? I thought it was rather cute :-(

Postby mark111757 » Fri May 11, 2012 10:47 pm

would love to try quails eggs...especially delia's haddock and quail egg pie but trying to find them is like trying to find hens teeth here in the states.....

tho having just said that i found this that was interesting....

http://wadleyquailfarm.com/quail_eggs_f ... ption.html

even tho they are not fresh or recently cooked, why would tinned eggs not work--

http://www.efooddepot.com/products/asia ... ml#product

thanks and cheers!!!

Postby ordinarygull » Fri May 11, 2012 10:47 pm

I was just admiring how perfectly cooked your eggs were... didn't notice they were teeny ones!!

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat May 12, 2012 12:36 am

Salad cream? Ermm, the other day, I added a tsp or so of (colman's) mustard, a tsp (or so) of sugar, extra vinegar and a weeny pinch of turmeric to some mayonnaise. Looked right and tasted pretty close!

Postby Global_Worming » Sat May 12, 2012 9:18 am

Sakkarin wrote:Definitely proper Colmans type maxi strength mustard!

P.S. Did anyone notice my silly little weeny plate of salad, with quails eggs and baby cherry tomatoes? I thought it was rather cute :-(
I like the classic 60's gravy boat :thumbsup

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat May 12, 2012 10:34 am

very dainty, Sakkarin.
Ham, egg and ? .... where are the chips?

Didn't James Martian have a salad cream recipe?

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox