Register

What's everyone eating this week?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: What's everyone eating this week?

Postby prettykiwicrazy » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:59 pm

Had a great meal out on Saturday with a friend. The menu was two courses for £8.50 and we both went for main and dessert. My friend had scampi and chips and I had baked egg with tomatoes,peppers,mozarella and chorizo.For dessert we both went for the churros sundae, churros,ice cream,whipped cream and chocolate sauce .

Sunday was pasta in tomato sauce with feta crumbled over.Last night was belly pork with garlic ,ginger,five spice and soy,with rice and pak choy.

Today , I'm cooking a large gammon joint. Chunks of it ill be going in a quiche tonight, with sweet potato and spinach.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:45 pm

Both those pork and broad bean dishes look fab - and coincidentally I've got a bag of prepared broad beans I cooked and podded last week in the freezer and was wondering what to do with them. Now just need to look out for that double-smoked ham.

Today it was Dipna Anand's Achari Gosht Tikka, Kris Dhillon's Pilau Rice and Mamta's Chango Mutney with Sakkarin salad. Perfect.

Postby Alison Wright » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:03 pm

We're travelling the world with fish tonight. Delia's Greek style squid with garlic, lemon & olive oil to start, & Thai steamed mussels with coconut milk, lime juice, garlic, fish sauce, Thai red paste & coriander with a baguette for mopping up :yum :yum

Tomorrow it's turkey & parmesan meatballs in a passatta sauce with tagliatelle which my Mum will eat, & lamb tagine in the slow-cooker with couscous for Thursday. No idea for Friday yet - but it's time I had a delve in the freezer :roll:

Postby Renée » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:47 pm

Corrr ... that looks good, Sakks! Have you been away?

The only place that I've ever seen these hams, which are almost black is on Preston market. They're not wrapped.

What a lovely meal you're having, Alison! I've never been brave enough to cook squid! I had mussels for the first time in my life when I was in Normandy a few weeks ago: a bucketful of them! :lol: I think that they cook each bucket individually.

Postby Uschi » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:04 pm

Lecker. Sakkarin!!!

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:34 pm

GD from Germany agrees - Lecker !

We have what the French would call a crise today. The roof-top pool in the adjoining (currently unoccupied) house has developed a leak and it is emptying into all the neighbouring houses. It is, of course a public holiday today so absolutely no hope of a plumber so everyone from the affected houses is having to form a bucket chain to bail the b***** thing out. I think anyone who willingly installs a swimming pool needs their bumps feeling and fortunately it seems to have convinced DD too!

They are working so hard we have agreed that we will all have a comunal BBQ this evening. Fortunately I have stacks of spare ribs in the freezer and they are simmering right now before being bathed in something tasty - suggestions welcome! I'll make a heap of fried rice and others are bringing steaks, salads etc. The Gcs are chopping up three sorts of melons for a dessert which will be annointed with muscat wine for the grown-ups and au naturel for les enfants.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:08 pm

No, I haven't been away Renee, just not contributed much, other priorities at the moment mean I haven't had time to cook much.

Made Gill's brisket yesterday, very good, but didn't look nearly as good as hers, so didn't bother with a pic! I blame the cheapo Tesco joint which did not have enough fat on it.

Coincidentally I made a long trip to Morrissons to take advantage of their offer which the website said was £5.83 a kilo - but on getting there I found it was the same price as Tesco, £8 a kilo, and didn't look particularly special. In anger at being lured there under false pretences, I put the rest of my shopping back and went to Tescos.

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:16 pm

In anger at being lured there under false pretences, I put the rest of my shopping back and went to Tescos.

Hahaha!!
I did that the other week.I got so mad at the price of a bottle of olive oil that I left a half-full shopping trolley in the middle of the aisle and left. :o :lol:

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:42 pm

BBQ went down like a dream last night - funny how impromtu meals often turn out to be such fun.

Tonight we are entertaining some old uni friends who are staying with other old uni friends near-by, we will be 9

Menu

Provencal starters, ie toasts with tapenade, anchoiade and caviar d'aubergine

Grande aioli - with salt cod, langoustines, bulots (whelks) and poached chicken and all the vegetable bits

Local goat cheeses and salad

Roast macaroon stuffed peaches with nougat ice-cream

We will have the compulsory Marc de Provence before the cheese - aioli is just too indigestible otherwise!

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:51 am

Postby prettykiwicrazy » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:07 pm

Yesterday was a Nicoise inspired salad. Seared tuna steak, green beans, tomatoes, olives, hard boiled egg and an OO and garlic dressing , with a chunk of baguette.
Today is going to rib eye steak with homemade chips, wilted garlic spinach and might do a mushroom sauce, as have some to use up .
As I haven't had it in a while, I might make a Thai green curry with steamed rice tomorrow .

Postby jeral » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:07 pm

I opted for a saag aloo etc veggie curry yesterday since it was relatively cold weather by comparison.

Fancy a homemade pizza today with Med veg toppings. Think I'll start a new thread on that as not sure about how to make the base.

Hope everyone enjoys their day - it's warmer, due to less cold wind here today :)

Postby Dena » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:14 pm

Yesterday had a "Ladies who lunch" lunch. Chilled carrot and orange soup, Piedmontese peppers, Freekeh salad, fresh pickled cucumber salad, Moorish baby sweet and sour aubergines. Crusty bread rolls (Aldis half baked dinner type - brilliant :thumbsup ) and to finish home made gooseberry jelly with a cheats sable biscuits (http://www.ocado.com/webshop/getSearchP ... e+biscuits).

Last night ham and eggs, Today Roast West Country lamb shoulder, was going to slow roast it but looked at it and decided to do it so it is pink in the middle. I really miss meat if I don't have it for a few meals so am really looking forward to it. Roast potatoes as I have some decent old ones, sugar snap peas and broccoli and maybe some carrots (for the coleure!!- old story :lol: )

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:47 pm

Hi Dena

Your lunch sounds lovely.

Snap for tonight I have a shoulder of local lamb but I am going to slow roast mine with garlic, rosemary and olive oil with garden potatoes round it. I've already made a courgette gratin. Pud is to be Cherries Jubilee with my bottled cherries. DD has a couple of uni friends staying with her so they will all be round.

They are taking us out for a meal next week - so a break from the August mad-house.

Postby Dena » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:19 am

Thank you Joan, it was quite good tho' sez it meself as shouldn't ;)

How was your lamb, mine was good but of course, as it was just for me there is enough left over to do something with it tomorrow. I had thought of putting it back in the oven to finish it off by slow roasting. I'm not too keen on cold lamb. What do you think?

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:07 am

Morning Dena

We don't like cold lamb either so if there had been any left (fat chance with that lot!) I would have made a shepherds' pie or stuffed some aubergines and made a tomato sauce.

Postby Dena » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:32 am

Morning Joan, It seems to good to mince (which I usually do) and cooking it really pink it looks as of it would be fine for re-roasting. One half (though a big half) of a shoulder is far too much for one person, but sometimes I just can't resist the thought of succulent roast lamb.

Very quiet here lately isn't it?

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:47 am

I'm not a fan of cold lamb either. Too flabby textured (especially when pink) and doesn't taste as good I don't think.

I would probably heat it through and serve it on a warm flat bread with some sliced pickled chillies and either a dollop of humous or a lemon and tahini dip. With shredded lettuce too. Possibly some falafel too if I was hungry enough!

ETA the following link which is where my suggestion comes from. We've made it a few times and I love the flavour combos...
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1632 ... hini-sauce

We're trying to use up odds and ends out of the fridge and freezer as much as possible over the next few weeks, before we go on holiday. I think we're having the following over the coming week...

- conchiglie with sausage meat, fennel, tomatoes, garlic, herbs, passata
- Asian style broth with pork dumplings, spring onions and shitake mushrooms
- flatbread with lamb meatballs, humous and salad (similar to my suggestion above)
- Belgian beer and beef stew served with crispy frites on the side

Postby Dena » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:16 pm

Thanks omco, I really love Middle Eastern food, so a brilliant suggestion :thumbsup

Postby jeral » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:38 pm

Dena, if you don't want to frazzle the lamb during reheat, you can lay slices out in a microwave pot with a tablespoon of water and loose lid, then go @ 70% power for a minute - check, maybe another (or less) to piping hot - or steam if no microwave. Sounds like bagel (for a change) and pickles, with a tzatziki side. How's that for fusion? :lol:

Today, I fancy a mushroom stoganoff with tagliatelle pasta instead of rice. Can get flat field mush, chestnut and oyster mush later. Wouldn't be right without frozen peas though ;)

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox