Register

What's everyone eating this week?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: What's everyone eating this week?

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:31 pm

Guess what Dena I found some raw beetroot in the market today at one of the organic stalls - here I come!

Other goodies to add to next week's menus

Pork loin roast - for tonight. I'll coat it in mixed fresh herbs and breadcrumbs.
Lamb chops (double ones)
Saddle of rabbit
Petit friture (Whitebait)
A whole sea bass

Fresh peas and green beans (there are broad beans in the garden)
Lovely baby fennel
Carrots
Teeny tiny artichokes
Green asparagus
Tomatoes

Strawberries and raspberries
Apricots
First cherries of the year (those in the orchard will be another 3 weeks or so)

Goat cheese - local
Parmesan
Olives

Potatoes, lettuce and lots of fresh herbs in the garden

Any original recipe suggestions gratefully accepted!!

Postby Dena » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:29 pm

Glad you managed to find some Joan, what will you be doing with them? I quite like a beetroot dauphinoise type dish, similar to this http://food52.com/recipes/3380-beetroot-dauphinoise, so many delicious recipes though. How lovely to have all those vegetables to choose from.

I have decided to do one of the trio of salmon stacks (or maybe two) with cooked beetroot, and ask opinions - cooked or not cooked?

I have made the nut gremolata for the duck breast, (don't know if there will be any left at this rate as it is really nice (and that is without the deep fried garlic) so I keep tasting it, as one should :lol:. Have also made the rhubarb puree, not really sure about the vanilla though, tastes good but I might try it without when I make it again.

Edit.

Have just finished my meal. I really, really enjoyed it. But - why is there always a "but" - I think the vanilla was unnecessary, I thought it rather spoiled the rhubarb and usually I love vanilla. If you should make this I'd like to know what you think. The gremolata was fabulous and I'm trying to think of other things to use it with.

Postby Puss-in-boots » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:31 pm

I may give it a try with the prawns Dena, don't know how it will taste or hold up. Didn't think of peashoots. Will have to give that duck one a whirl too.

Very interesting that beetroot dauphinoise sounds, may give that a whirl too. I love getting new idea's for dishes.

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:19 pm

Hi Dena,

I once tried making a scallop dish with vanilla and it didn't work either.

I got a lovely flétan (halibut) fillet this morning so that is for tonight with a light pastis sauce on a bed of braised fennel.

Tomorrow night is the jazz concert with food but i think I'll make a more substantial lunch than usual using the rest of the pork and stuffing (minced together) to stuff some red peppers.

Rest of the week will be veal chops with asparagus and morilles and, hopefully the barbecue will come out on Friday and I can finally cook the quails I have been hiding in the freezer - spatchcocked and with Morrocan spices on fruity/nutty cous cous.

Postby Alison Wright » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:34 pm

We're fishy tonight too, Galton Blakiston's lemon sole in parmesan, garlic & cream with new pots & steamed asparagus, & plum galette for pud with the reduced punnet of plums I got this morning.

Tomorrow it's Vietnamese roast chicken with dirty sticky rice & Vietnamese noodle salad.

Need to defrost some pork chops this week, & thinking I'll brine them, then BBQ with something sticky/spicy maybe on Friday - if the good weather holds.

Postby Dena » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:51 pm

Post Mortem on the salmon stacks. R.I.P.

Salmon was really good, the pickled beetroot? suffice it to say I preferred the cooked (as did my friends). The pearl barley salad, too much barley and not enough sugar snaps and all the other additions. I really loved the chopped raw sugar snaps in the salad and will definitely be using them that way again, but not with pearl barley, maybe with a freekeh salad. I made a good dressing with the liquid from the pickled beets and served separately :thumbsup .

And as for the stacking - what a hassle, OK if you have a sous chef and time is not running away and it is for an evening meal and not a lunch. Mine did not look as good as in the picture but wasn't too bad, will post a pic I took of them - one day!!

Will I do it again - maybe but with alterations and more time to taste, season and taste again.

Postby prettykiwicrazy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:16 pm

Yesterday was a bit of a quick staple of prawns in tomato sauce with tagliatelle.

Tonight we're having rib eye steaks topped with smoked Applewood cheese and mushrooms,plus salad and ciabatta.

Cooking a gammon tonight ,which some of will go in a tortilla tomorrow night.

Thurs night,Im thinking of going retro with gammon in parsley sauce with sauteed spuds and broad beans.

Postby prettykiwicrazy » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:50 pm

Whats everyone eating/eaten over the weekend and for the upcoming week??

On Friday night.we went to a friends house for some tapas.We had chorizo and prawns with tomatoes, tortilla, patatas bravas,garlic and lemon chicken and parma ham wrapped asparagus.We brought a very unSpanish Eton Mess for pudding.

Yesterday we had sumac marinaded chicken breasts (am addicted to the stuff),salad and new potatoes with coriander and mint butter.

Today is me on my lonesome,so Im having prawn tagliatelle in a tomato,garlic and chilli sauce.

First half of the week is shaping up as

Monday - pork chops with pesto,steamed green veg and sauteed spuds

Tuesday - watercress and pea risotto

Wednesday - salmon Asian style.

Postby Dena » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:27 pm

I was lucky enough to be given a couple of Tern ducks, but when I checked them they are far too big for a tern so I think they must be Mallards. (Seems as if duck are a bit like buses for me at the moment, you wzit ages for one and then two (or three) come along at the same time :lol:

Anyway I am cooking one of those for today, usually just roast quickly but thought I might give this recipe a whirl. http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/wild_ ... pple_29616. Not normally a fan of the hairy duo but this seems about right, and I have a rosemary bush and some apples, plus some cream sherry bought for a pud recipe.

Tomorrow it will be the rest of the duck.

I have been looking at Jose Pizzaro recipes and like the look of the rabbit dish from the Canaries - Rabbit salmorejo - similar to this http://spanishfood.about.com/od/feather ... morejo.htm

He he also has a spicy chicken dish I want to try. So it will be one of those on another day. haven't made my mind up for the rest of the week.

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:36 am

Morning everyone

I had some of Sunday's roast duck left so on Monday I turned it into a stir-fry with plum sauce, almonds and mangetouts.

Last night we had fillets of Sébaste (big rascasse sort of fish) and I spread them with violet mustard (nothing to do with the flower) and cooked them on a bed of Mediterranian veg, they were rather yummy. I made a big bowl of fresh fruit salad on Monday and that served two days.

Tonight it is my last two gammon steaks braised in madeira sauce with fresh apricots and what I call St Clements jellies - fresh orange segments set in HM lemon jelly flavoured with Cointeau and the juice from the oranges.

To Avignon tomorrow and our favourite restaurant for lunch. I'll pop into Les Halles to see what goodies there are for the rest of the week!

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:19 pm

Afternoon all,

Just (yes it is 5.00pm) back from Avignon where M treated us to the menu Legumes de Printemps :

http://www.christian-etienne.fr/fr/rest ... ntemps.htm

It was absolutely stunning especially these:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62387678@N02/9034743436/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62387678@N02/9032527113/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62387678@N02/9034759902/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62387678@N02/9034774806/

Although there was a lot of courses and we didn't rush neither of us felt over -fed by the end. :yum :yum

Don't think we need much tonight though

Postby Dena » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:30 pm

That looks fabulous Joan, well to me it does but it will run foul of the "hate foam and smears" community :lol:
What a wonderful menu and beautifully presented.

The hazel lamb - was it with hazelnuts or hazelnut oil? I have just treated myself to some of the oil and it is wonderful stuff. I find I am looking for recipes to use it.

The tandoori lemon sole on the julienned mangetout, was the foam pea based and were the mangetout cooked or raw? Sorry - too many questions - but I found the one of the nicest things in the stacked salmon I made was the raw shredded sugar snaps in the barley salad.

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:46 pm

Hi Dena

Perfectly happy to talk about lovely food and yes, I did think what certain folk (son included) would be saying about the foams etc.

Noisette is the cut from the fillet - the other little treat on that plate was the boulette (M called it a lamb burger) that was beautifully spiced with cumin:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62387678@N02/9032541685/

The mangetout were briefly stir-fried and the foam was also mangetout - so Chef said.

On the asparagus dish the shreds on the left side were raw asparagus dressed with shredded preserved lemons. I will be doing that!

Postby prettykiwicrazy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:03 pm

Lovely pictures Joan and some interesting ideas there.

Change to Wednesday's plans, as I really fancied a homemade quiche.Added some double cream and Gruyere to the egg mix and the filling was bacon lardons and mushrooms sauteed with garlic.Hit the spot and very economical,especially as I had all the ingredients already in.

Tomorrow night is going to be Asian fish parcels, using some pollock which has been in the freezer for ages.

Saturday ,we are going out for a meal. Think I'm choosing seabass with roasted veg and a basil creme fraiche sauce,then sticky toffee pudding with honeycomb icecream.

I've got several family birthdays this week,so on Sunday,we're having a celebratory BBQ.Have been asked to make some roast veg couscous and potato salad for it

Postby Dena » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:59 pm

Hi Joan, I read the translation on the menu and it said 'hazelnut lamb'. I didn't think of it being a translation of noisette. :lol: especially as hazelnuts seem to be "top of the pops" at the moment What were the fades carrots used in the sorbet. Never thought of having a carrot sorbet, sounds interesting.

I've never had honeycomb icecream prettykiwi, sounds good. Enjoy your fish parcels and BBQ.

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:32 pm

Hi again Dena

Carotte Fane are just new carrots with their leaves still on.

I had his carrot sorbet for the first time about 5 years ago and it is gorgeous. If you think about it carrot cake works well so why not carrot anything else sweet? The surprise this time was the tiny squares of celery jelly - absolutely wonderful.

Christian Etienne is best known for his use of vegetables - more particularly regional ones. We counted no fewer than 14 in today's menu if you count the apperos.

I have the sorbet recipe if you are interested.

PS The garlic foam just made the artichokes - about 10 times lighter than aioli.

Postby Dena » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:46 pm

I would be interested in the recipe Joan thank you, when I read the, evidently not very well translated, menu they called the carrots fade, couldn't think what they were :D I think I would like the sorbet. I'd also like to try a carrot and orange sorbet, I love chilled carrot and orange soup so it seems to follow on.

Good foams are so wonderfully full of flavour and so light, but a few years ago when they first became popular, so many cook/chefs tried their hand at it and failed miserably I was quite pleased when they went out of favour and left it to the chefs who knew what they were doing.

I hadn't thought of celery jelly but do sometimes make little cubes of cucumber jelly as a garnish.

I was going to have a Jose Pizzaro chicken dish tonight but changed my mind again (having it tomorrow) and had a grilled mackerel, using this as a guide. http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/sgomb ... iaco_88522. i really enjoyed it.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:14 pm

Well, there I was, preparing a Tuna Nicoise salad for tonight's supper, when hubby arrives home. He sees me opening the tin of tuna and told me he'd had the fish twice today in work. Once in a tuna salad baguette for his morning break, followed by a Tuna knickersea for lunch. I nearly headbutted the worktop when I realised what he was referring to! Luckily there were a couple of subtle differences between the two. His lunchtime one had sweet potato in it ( which he skipped on) and a fresh tuna steak. Our one had normal spuds and the tinned tuna as mentioned above.

To quote Harry Hill 'What are the chances of that happening eh?'. At least hubby enjoyed it though. I'll give you 3 guesses what Tuna Nicoise is going to be know as chez Strictly now! (sorry Joan :oops: )

By the way Joan, glad you enjoyed you lunch today, the dish that did appeal to me a lot was the asparagus one, considering I'm not normally into trios of one food.

Postby prettykiwicrazy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:38 pm

"Knickersea", love it Clare.Have to say a version with sweet potato in sounds absolutely vile.

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:53 pm

Love Knickersea too!

Glad you liked the menu Clair.

Perhaps Mr Strictly should do what French schools do (even to which sheese will be served) and publish a week's worth of lunch menus so you don't repeat at supper time.

What makes me giggle about dishes like the asparagus is the description "Déclinaison autour de...." pretentious or what? M always starts reciting latin verbs when he sees that expression - I don't, having failed miserably at that subject, but I do like variations on a theme. It was delicious and different so all was forgiven.

Tonight we will be having veal chops Ardennes style - ie cooked on a vegetable base and a topping of herbs, ham and breadcrumbs in the oven.

Weekend - I'll decide when I get to the market tomorrow

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox