Register

What's everyone eating this week?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: What's everyone eating this week?

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:40 pm

prettykiwicrazy wrote:"Knickersea", love it Clare.Have to say a version with sweet potato in sounds absolutely vile.

Yes, hubby didn't fancy the sweet potato either, although it was warm, but even so :thumbsdown . we have tried sweet potato but neither of were very impressed.

Postby prettykiwicrazy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:49 pm

It's not my favourite vegetable,but I quite like it roasted in wedges with a lot of spicing .Goes quite well with lamb too.

Postby Dena » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:51 pm

Tonight I'm having Jose Pizzaro Spicy Spanish chicken, it has lot's of Moorish influences, cinnamon, cumin, cloves, golden raisins, chopped green olives, etc. and is smelling wonderful. Tomorrow I think a salad, I have some lovely ham, some wild boar salami, olives, feta, little gem lettuce, beetroot and I'll make a potato salad with oil and finely chopped shallots as opposed to mayo and hard boiled egg with a crusty baguette. Not sure about Sunday yet.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:16 pm

Snap Dena, well almost! We are going Spanish tonight funnily enough, and decided on this before I read your post.

We are having Spanish pork steaks marinated in paprika, garlic, olive oil and rosemary cooked on a bed of tomatoes and potatoes. We are having it with a chopped 'Gazpacho' salad and possibly some green beans. Pudding will be a very retro chilled lemon flan (accompanied by fresh strawberries) from my very battered 2nd hand copy of the Hamlyn All Colour Cookery Book. I think it's one of Mary Berry's recipes.

Not as glamorous-sounding as your Spicy Spanish chicken Dena but hope it will be enjoyable nonetheless.

EDIT: not sure what we're having the rest of the week yet, the weather is so changeable at the moment....

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:03 pm

I have already posted the recipe for tonight's supper on the new thread I started (too many ingredients) Tamarind and lemongrass salmon.

I am thinking that an old family favourite - peanut noodles would do quite well with it. If I can recall the recipe!

Afterwards I think some local goat cheese - one fresh and one dry. Then the first figs of the season with raspberries - a Roger Vergé recipe I have made for years and just love!

Tomorrow I am doing a horseradish marinated rib of beef on the bbq - but might well do some YP's in the oven! The first green beans from the garden and carrots and potatoes cooked together, Lyonnaise style with the meat.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:38 pm

Well, our Spanish Pork meal was a hit. The Gazpacho salad in particular was a triumph.

Last night we had Spaghetti with chilli-free puttanesca sauce and a large flattened, panfried chicken boob between us. Apologies to all those who are not keen on chook with pasta but we really enjoyed it.

Tonight I am making herby courgette fritters with roasted med veg and potatoes, possibly with some coleslaw as well.

Not sure about tomorrow yet, it may be leek and mushroom risotto.

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:18 pm

A lovely bit of rare beef left from yesterday so that is tonight's supper. I deliberately cooked too many potatoes and green beans too, so a potato salad and vinaigrette beans and there is plenty of lovely lettuce in the garden.

Fresh apricots and the rest of the goat cheese + some extra afterwards.
Well there are only two chefs likely to join us and for them Monday night is absolutely chill-out night.

For tomorrow I am going to either roast or poach a chicken - depends on the weather (very hot at the moment).
Whichever way, I'll have plenty for the next couple of days. I think you can see I am entering summer mode, We had a minimum of 20C last night.

Friday, of course, is my Midsummer's Day Feast. Might have to busk on Thursday.

Postby prettykiwicrazy » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:18 pm

Last night for dinner, a friend and I had salmon topped with pesto and panko breadcrumbs with a wilted spinach and tomato mix.

Tonight is going to be boring but nice spag bol.

After a few problems,OH has moved out temporarily to give us both some space to think things over. He hates offal of any description,so am going to try and look on the positive and enjoy a plate of liver and bacon with fried potatoes and peas.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:11 pm

PKC... hope you're ok x

I am struggling to think of exciting ideas this week, mostly because i'm still trying to empty the freezer. Last night I had gnocci in a veggie sauce and tonight i'm havin an Asian noodle soup with some leftover shredded pork shoulder from the freezer.

We have some smoked mackeral, smoked turkey breast, lots of cheese, olives, local sausages and burgers, lots of tomatoes and lots of peppers and courgettes in the fridge so i'm thinking of some salads. Also I have an urge to make a chipotle salsa with some sweetcorn and courgette fritters so they may feature in the next few days.

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:50 pm

Hi PKC

Sorry to hear of the split. I hope very much that everything turns out as you want.

At least you can eat offal for a while!! :newhuggy

Postby Dena » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:15 pm

Glad you enjoyed your Spanish meal strictly :thumbsup .

Last night I had Reza Mahammad's lamb achari handi - the recipe was different in his book (which i used) from the one on line, in the book he didn't boil (?) the lamb. http://www.foodnetwork.co.uk/recipes/la ... gosht.html It was really good and I ate far too much of it :mrgreen:

Tonight it will be salmon of some description and I fancy a tarte tatin.

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:11 pm

I ended up poaching the chicken and serving it cold with asparagus and a sauce gribiche - much too hot for roast.

We had lime sorbet with the "merest" splash of vodka.

Lunch today was a perfect melon with parma ham and mozarella with a minty dressing and tonight a Vietnamese chicken salad followed by chilled rice cream with the first cherries from the orchard - if the rain stops and I can pick them!

Postby prettykiwicrazy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:32 pm

Thanks for the well wishes OMCO and Joan.

Postby Dena » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:42 pm

Hi pkc,

Glad to see you are "accentuating the positive" and putting lots of offal on the menu :thumbsup

I love chicken livers and they are also cheap- a bonus - I often just fry them with chopped bacon and shallots, then add creme fraiche and whole grain mustard with some herbs or whatever else I fancy (balsamic, wine, etc.), it is always handy to have some pate in the fridge/freezer too. Loads more on here http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipes/tag-297 ... spx?page=1

pork offal here. http://www.lovepork.co.uk/pork-products ... l/recipes/

Oh wow, reading through them all I feel an 'offal' lot of offal cooking coming on.

Hope everything goes as you want.

Postby prettykiwicrazy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:01 pm

Slowly getting used to cooking for myself,although it's strange not to have someone to bounce ideas off when planning meals.At the same time,it's nice to have the freedom of deciding what I want to eat, when I want to eat it

Monday was lasagna from a big bulk cooking session I did on Saturday.

Tonight , I'm stuffing a field mushroom (what us single girls do for fun :tongueout ) with bacon, grated cheddar,garlic and breadcrumbs before baking and serving with salad.

Wednesday is a salmon pasta salad with a dill yoghurt dressing.

Thursday is JO's basic chicken curry (another result of Saturday's cooking session) with spiced pilau rice.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:37 pm

Following the Fuchsia Dunlop story, I've been dipping back into her Sichuan Cooking book, and made a couple of dishes I hadn't done before, Stuffed Aubergine Fritters and Cauliflower with Smokey Bacon, along with a couple of portions of Gung Pao Chicken with loads of chillies.

Here's the two new dishes: the Aubergine Fritters (stuffed with pork) were awkward to make, as there's no way of keeping the filling in other than dipping them at the right angle so the batter seals the join as it hits the fat. Some of them ended up like sort of semi-closed butterfly-shaped things, vaguely reminded me of mussels for some reason. Tasty though, and the szechwan pepper does make it all hold together.

The cauliflower dish was very rich and garlicky, but I made some fresh stock specially from a whole chicken leg, so definitely not a vegetarian option if you follow the recipe.

Postby prettykiwicrazy » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:51 pm

Must get hold of a copy of that book,as everyone seems to be ranting and raving about it.The aubergine fritters sound gorgeous.I love aubergines especially when they're crispy on the outside and all soft on the inside.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:25 pm

In a clear up last week I found a pack of "Thai Sausage Mix", which included collagen casings, and instructions to fill them using a funnel - can't remember where I got it from, probably Wing Yip - and having some leftover pork mince in the fridge, thought I'd have a bash. Pretty good attempt, they look exactly like the ones in my favourite Vatcharin Bhumichitr Thai cookbook. Served with the traditional accompaniment of raw cabbage, raw ginger, raw chilli = raw mouth. I have some leftover casings, next time I will do them from scratch from the Vatch recipe - made them before, but cooked them like meatballs, as they were not in casings, so not really a good example.

EDIT: P.S. It was the first time I've ever made proper stuffed sausages.

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:07 am

Morning all,

This week I am eating whatever I can fit around the tennis ! Trouble is if The Scottish Player (we have been warned not to use his name) goes walk-about like he did on Wednesday we will end up with severe indigestion.

I am desperately trying to make 36 mini Scotch eggs (just thought that may be an omen) for tomorrow before lunch and the first match.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:06 am

Oh dear, it's cakes again that are catching my attention far too much.

Last night, I made a clafoutis to make the most of some cherries and ate the bloody lot.

At the moment I'm boiling an orange for an hour, as the first step in Diane Henry's Mediterranean Orange Cake, from "Crazy Water, Pickled Lemons" - I've had the book for some while now, and not really looked at it (another charity shop buy), I've still only really read the introduction last night, but her description of that recipe sounded intriguing. I blame OneMoreCheekyOne for mentioning that book in the Book thread...

Now to try and track down some orange flower water.

EDIT: None in Tesco or Asda, found it in Sainos in the end.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox