Register

What's everyone eating this week?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: What's everyone eating this week?

Postby jeral » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:22 pm

Hmm. Veggie filled Yorkshire Puds tomorrow (getting withdrawal symptoms) before projected heatwave.

Griddled tuna steaks for Friday.

An urge for aubergine/mushroom moussaka has taken hold. Will be good on Sat as busy so "decent filling nosh" will be welcome - well unless it's 33°C in which case stroganoff instead.

Came across this cucumber/apple/ginger smoothie recipe that'll no doubt figure in there somewhere, though I suspect I'll tweak it... http://talesofakitchen.com/breakfast/su ... -smoothie/

Postby Renée » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:36 pm

I seem to have had quite a bit of fish recently, but tonight I had loin valentine lamb chops, with crushed potatoes, with buttered crumbs on top, spinach and carrots. I made the mint sauce with white balsamic vinegar and lemon for a change. The chops were very tender.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:17 am

Made moussaka from scratch yesterday, using the "Prawn Cocktail Years" recipe (Simon Hopkinson/Lyndsey Bareham).

Used a third of the recipe ingredients, intending to make it last two days, but greedy so and so ended up eating the lot.

Probably the best I've made, but a bit too greasy, and there also seemed to be something missing to make it really great. I didn't bother taking a pic as I presumed I'd already done so in the past, but looking through my files there's no piccy of moussaka anywhere :-(

Oh well, that's my excuse to try it again, but not for a while yet, I'm on salads to get over last night's binge!

Postby Dena » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:52 pm

I've been making and eating, and eating, and eating, Jose Pizzaro's Moorish spicy baby aubergines. Can't find the recipe on-line but if anyone wants it, I could paraphrase. I find them totally addictive.

Moorish in more than one way :lol:

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:07 pm

Hi Dena,

that aubergine dish sounds interesting Dena, could you provide a paraphrased recipe please?

thanks, Clare

I currently have a small batch of brownies in the oven because it's Mr Strictly's birthday today. I've also got chicken legs for tonight's tea, not sure how I'm cooking them yet. I was going to do a roast but it's too hot for that today. We are doing the supermarket shop this afternoon so I shall see what bright ideas I get then. Unless anyone on here has got any suggestions?

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:07 pm

Hi Sakkarin

I love that book. I used to find moussaka too oily until I realised that baking the sliced aubergines (I cut them lengthwise) with a spray of oil works much better. I always add chopped mushrooms and origano to my meat base.

Clare:

Happy birthday Mr Strictly - from a fellow Leo
If you have a bbq then jerk or tandoori chicken might do?

I made a big pot of rataouille today - all ingredients except the onions from the garden. I'll throw a couple of marinaded lamb steaks on the bbq to have with it. I have this sudden craving for jelly at the moment so made a fresh lemon one with a dash of Cointeau and fresh orange slices therein.

Lunch was a Greek salad and slices of watermelon afterwards - too hot to eat outside

Postby jeral » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:57 pm

@ strictlysalsaclare: On chicken, I reckon that poaching the legs on a low simmer would generate the least heat (no oven or grill used) and takes only 10-20 mins :) Remove skin once legs cooked and tender; meanwhile can make a quick, non-gloopy, sweet & sour sauce with pineapple juice and pieces from a tin, vinegar, sugar to taste if needed, banana shallots (halved, and to stay al dente), squares of green or red pepper, drop of soy sauce to taste; optional are crushed garlic, fresh grated ginger, cornflour to thicken. Put brown (if liked) rice on to cook first as it takes ages c.30-35 mins

Or let the legs cool and make a mango or pineapple, ginger, chilli salsa together with Romaine or little gem lettuce, also cous cous or quinoa. Loads of options but fewer if excluding oven blast!

Many happy returns to Mr. S :newhuggy
Also to Joanbunting - when's yours?

Postby prettykiwicrazy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:20 pm

Re mousska - my favourite recipe has to be from IaninFrance's website.As much as I love moussaka,I often find it quite stodgy.Ian's version is lighter,for my taste anyway
http://souvigne.pagesperso-orange.fr/re ... ain030.htm

Re chicken legs ,I'm thinking a one tray Spanish bake thing , to save on too many pans on the go.I usually add chorizo,garlic,red onions and peppers plus a good glug of OO. Could also go down an Indian tandoori route with a cold rice salad.

Postby Dena » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:55 pm

Hi strictly, here 'tis (really, really Moorish :mrgreen: )

About 500g small thin aubergines cut in half, lightly salted for approx 30 mins (or 1cm thick slices if you can only get large ones). Brush a few slices at a time with olive oil, place on griddle, cook for 3 mins on each side until brown and tender. Transfer each batch to a shallow serving dish as they are ready.
Mix 200 ml red wine vinegar with 40g caster sugar, put in pan and reduce to 50 ml.

Next - 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped and sauted in 6 tablespoons EVOO until golden then add 1 medium hot red chilli (I used a large one), de-seeded and chopped finely when sizzling stir into vinegar mixture and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.

2 tablespoons chopped mint, plus a few leaves for garnish
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Stir the chopped mint in the dressing and spoon it over the aubergines. Scatter over a few baby leaves and serve warm (or cold) with crusty bread to mop up the juices.

A little late but for the chicken, how about frying/sauteing in a little oil with onions, garlic and tomatoes with olives, golden sultanas, ras el hanout, salt and pepper, served with rice.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:33 pm

Thanks for the ideas folks (plus the birthday wishes for Mr Strictly!), but they were all a bit too spicy for him. I made a chorizo and prawn paella with a roasted chick leg on top in the end. Something we haven't had for ages and we really enjoyed it. the brownies were good too.

Thank you for the aubergine recipe Dena, much appreciated! I would enjoy it as it is, but I will have to swap the chilli for paprika if I make it for both of us. Hope that change would work :crossed.

I'll be making a layered Med-veg terrine tomorrow from my Good Housekeeping Vegetarian book, so nice and cool to eat.

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:02 pm

jeral wrote:Also to Joanbunting - when's yours?

Next Thursday Jeral - M has booked a restuarant, family arrive Monday and friends from the UK on Wednesday (our wedding anniversary) Lots of local friends coming too. Oldest 89 youngest 1. I am really looking forward to it.

We had more melon with figs and local cured ham at lunchtime - followed by lime sorbet.

Trout on the BBQ tonight, with the rest of the ratatouille, followed by bananas cooked in foil with rum and a little butter at the same time as the trout.

Postby Renée » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:16 pm

Wishing you both a very happy Wedding Anniversary, Joan! It will be lovely to have family and friends with you on the special day.

I bought a small piece of Bowland fell shoulder of lamb whilst over in that area yesterday. It weighed just over a kilo and had the fillet on it, so there was plenty of meat. I slow-cooked it very simply on a bed of shallots with a couple of bay leaves and a small amount of water. Black pepper on the top. It was the nicest lamb that I've ever had. I thought that £7 was a bit expensive, but there's plenty of meat for three days, so a bargain really.

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:14 pm

Thank you Renée. DD has offered to cook.

Very close weather today, there is a storm brewing if my instincts are correct. I get a funny feeling that someone has put something really heavy on my head before most storms.

We were in the market before 8 o'clock this morning to stock up for the forthcoming invasion. The butcher was already going full tilt with locals. I got stuff for kebabs, beef pavés, and some veal chops. If the weather holds I will bbq some veal kidney for me and an andouilette for M tonight.

For lunch we had gorgeous pears, halved, peeled and stuffed with Roquefort cheese and finely chopped walnuts with a little creme fraiche and a splash of brandy. Flat peaches afterwards.

Postby Minnesota Maven » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:07 pm

Happy-happy JB... and to you too Mr. Strictly
and don't you also have a large collection of glowy objects to pass around???
Huz and I just finished making a BIG tabooli salad to take to a "July Birthday" party (yes, a bit late).
Headed down to the Farmer's Market this morning to buy the extra veg...We've got tomatoes and peppers in the garden but they're still not ripe :roll: Everything's 2-3 weeks late.. But....but...the sweet corn is in :!: :clap

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:30 pm

strictlysalsaclare wrote:I'll be making a layered Med-veg terrine tomorrow from my Good Housekeeping Vegetarian book, so nice and cool to eat.

Well, I made the terrine yesterday to have today because we were going to be out most of it. Thanks to a little too much liquid and not enough gelatine, the damn thing didn't set and went 'splat' when I turned it out of the loaf tin. As I didn't want to waste all my work, a rather delicious phoenix rose out of the ashes. Thanks to the addition of some sliced potatoes, a mixture of Spanish salamis, extra paprika and a fried egg each, we had a gorgeous supper, albeit a very rustic one. The plates were wiped clean!

So a serendipitous result, which was a meal I shall be making again. I'm still going to have another attempt at the terrine though as I know where I went wrong!

Postby Renée » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:53 pm

That was such good thinking, Clare! Very well done!

Postby Renée » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:27 am

Last night I had Gammon with Broad Bean Purée and Parsley Cream Sauce from the wonderful Chatsworth cookery book by Rachel Green. It was delicious! I happened to be in Preston, so visited the indoor market where they sell double-smoked ham pieces. They are almost black in colour, but the taste and smell is amazing and something that you can't buy in supermarkets. The chard with red stalks is from Waitrose.

Problems with Photobucket this morning. I was just going to put the link on the board, but the one that I wanted didn't work, so you've got the pic.

Postby Uschi » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:35 pm

Similar ingredients, but not such a handsome-looking results. My first shot at my mother's smoked pork rib with broad beans and potatoes. Tastes fine, though, so I am happy.

Dicke Bohnen mit dicker Rippe von natterjack3 auf Flickr

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:06 pm

The family are all out today so we have just eaten the rest of yesterday's chicken with tomatoes from the garden and some of the gigantic bowl of coleslaw I made to go with it.

Tonight it is to be what we call DIY kebabs ie a selection of marinated meats and vegetables so everyone can select their own. The coleslaw and a minty/herby quinoa and cucumber salad will go with it. An apricot and almond tart is in the oven right now - but I bet the GCs will prefer ice-cream.

Postby jeral » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:39 pm

I think our fishmonger has some fresh mackerel (I'll let him do the filleting) which are a bit "fishy" so a chowder-style soup maybe, with side of crumbed onion rings I have in the freezer. I might decide that's sacrilege though and do something else with them, like eat with the okra/tomatoey thing I made. Can you tell it's leftovers day? :D

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox