Register

What's everyone eating this week?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM
Site Admin

Re: What's everyone eating this week?

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:17 pm

I've been trying Kris Dhillon's "The New Curry Secret", and made a huge batch of his basic curry sauce which should last a while, the new version of his book has a lot more exotic curries than the original 1987(?) book which I also have, including his version of methi chicken, which I tried out yesterday. Tasty, but still nowhere near as good as the one I've raved about that the local Taste of Lahore makes.

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:23 pm

Nice pic Sakks :thumbsup

It must have taken great courage to make a batch of the basic sauce - at least you can leave all the doors & windows open in this weather........[insert peg on the nose smiley here] :D

Postby Puss-in-boots » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:33 pm

Looks lovely Sakks, could just go a curry now, maybe tomorrow.

Postby Puss-in-boots » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:14 pm

We had pork loin steak sprinkled with chillies and Cornish new potatoes with a mixed salad tonight and some home made garlic mayo, It was delicious. :yum

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:02 am

DD cooked for us last evening. I am beginning to get used to have her next door and popping round to "borrow" ingredients and for the GCs to run in and out. It must have been like that when my mother lived with her parents during the war and on either side of their terraced house there was an auntie.

Anyway last night it was smoked paprika for the delicious Spanish chicken with chorizo that she made.

Tonight is her last night until Christmas and we are all going out to a local restaurant as guests of the friends who have been staying with her. It is going to be very quiet this weekend!

Postby prettykiwicrazy » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:51 pm

Today's a bit of a seafood day.Lunch was smoked salmon on ryvita with cucumber,red onion and cream cheese.Dinner will be sardines grilled simply with lemon,gnocchi and a tomato salad.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:59 pm

I can't remember the last time I ate so badly! The past week has been (a) eating the first thing on hand (b) sandwiches (c) irregular hours ! Why? Sonny is getting married on Friday and the Party Snacks are being made.
Friday I made 150 tartlets to fill with brie & chutney, then 120 Samosas, then 150 Vadas. Saturday I made MORE Samosas, trimmed and cooked 7 kg of spinach and prepared 150 crepes,as well as doing the sauce for the Sausage Rolls. Not CLASSIC, but a mixture of pork sausage with smoked chorizo, and served with a honey mustard sauce.
Sunday: Crab balls and Chicken Satays, plus another load of Vadas. Finished some more sausage rolls so now we've got 240; 200 samosas, 250 vadas,170 crab balls, 100 Satays, 170 crepes and 200 cheese-stuffed pastries called "Tequeños".
A nibble here, a quick pasta there... I swear that NEXT week I´m going to sit down for a proper meal every single day!!!

Postby calabash » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:34 pm

I am deeply, deeply impressed KK :clap :clap :clap :clap I am equally impressed that as the groom's parent you actually got to do anything for the wedding. Yes, I am a tad bitter :lol:

Hope you get to have a good meal soon...

Postby jeral » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:53 pm

Gosh, I'd be surprised karadekoolaid if you don't hibernate for the whole of next week...

Best wishes to the happy couple: :newhuggy

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:52 am

Morning KK

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow and wish the happy couple (and they will indeed be happy with their feast) a long and loving marriage. Hope you get to enjoy the special day too!!

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:46 am

Gosh KK, that is a hell of a lot of work! The food all sounds wonderful :thumbsup

We are going to my favourite Greek restaurant tomorrow night (yippee). They deconstruct classic Greek dishes and the food is really delicious.

We're having a group of friends round on Saturday evening. We're going out to a local bar for a few drinks but we're feeding everyone first at our house. I can't decide whether to do a one pot dish which I can cook earlier on during the day, or just put out a load of cold cuts/antipasti/pate/cheese board/salads etc and let people help themselves. Decisions decisions.

Postby Dena » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:00 pm

Wow KKA, hope everything goes well - don't forget the pics :thumbsup.

Thought I had posted how good your methi chicken looked Sakkarin - can't find it though.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:29 pm

Don't worry Dena, you may have said it about one of the other indian dishes I've done recently Dena.. seems to be my quest at the moment. Quite a feast, KK! I've only made vadas once, must make another batch, but I do hate boiling up potatoes, I always find it a bit of a coin toss as to whether they come out too hard or too soft.

Today I made another dish from the new Kris Dhillon book, which was very, very similar to his Chicken Korma recipe in the old book, now called "Moghlai Cashew Jhool". Actually it is really good, in fact I'd give it 7.75 out of 10, and as good (although very different) from the korma I've usually made in the past (from the 1981 book "Spicy and Delicious" by Prya Wickramasinghe). I added a green chilli though, so it had a bit more heat. For the record, the main difference is that the Prya recipe uses coconut/yoghurt and is fairly dry, the Dhillon one uses cashews/cream with a substantial gravy.

Yesterday I made the Beef Vindaloo from the book, which wasn't as impressive, but I had some leftovers this morning, and it really benefitted from the "resting", and ended up nearly as good as the "Jhool". Didn't bother taking a piccy though.

Postby prettykiwicrazy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:05 pm

Thursday's dinner was a vegetable stifry with crunchy peanut butter,soy sauce and sweet chilli sauce,plus lots of coriander.Felt very healthy for a change.

Today,being Friday,I wanted something quick and easy to have with a glass of wine,so pasta its going to be. I've got some courgettes to use up and a thriving mint plant,so will do something with those and maybe some lemon.

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:40 pm

Today is my son's wedding.
I was in the kitchen all day yesterday, preparing the last bits and pieces of "finger food" for tonight. We've got around 80 guests coming, and the party is ALL little snacks,with the exception of the spinach crepes, which we'll serve as a buffet. I've been three days in the kitchen, making all sorts of little wonders; samosas, vadas,crab balls, tenderloin with avocado salsa, chicken satays, tartlets filled with brie and chutney; others with artichokes & bacon. Fresh cheese smothered in pesto and sundried tomato; cold sushi-style crepes, pumpkin soup shots, salmon tartare, Huancaina potatoes, cheese pastries.....
Panic-Attacks-Treatment2.jpg
AArrggghhhh!!!
Panic-Attacks-Treatment2.jpg (21.33 KiB) Viewed 5019 times

Me? I've done my stuff; I'm only waiting for a Cheffie mate to arrive to tell him what else to prepare. Me and the dog are chilling out...
003.JPG
003.JPG (103.53 KiB) Viewed 5019 times

Postby calabash » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:39 pm

Well done KK!!

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:17 am

It's 3am.
The newly weds are still downstairs, dancing, singing, and probably half cut.
No, let me rephrase that; kissed as poots... 8-) 8-)

Never mind,it's their day and they're enjoying it to the full!!
We made so many pasapalos (snacks) that I've got a fridge full for the next occasion. Anyone fancy some sausage rolls made with smoked chorizo? They were great..

Sakkarin: I make my vadas with split peas. Soak them overnight, then blitz them in the blender with onion, garlic, coriander, ginger, chiles, cumin and garam masala. Form little balls and deep-fry.
If you don't want to eat them straight away, then par-cook (ie, fry until they form a ball), drain and freeze.

Time to dance a little more :limbobanana :limbobanana :limbobanana :limbobanana

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:19 pm

KK Well done Magic1 Magic1

Please can I pop round for some left-overs??

Tonight it is simply moules frites - ages since I made or ate them.

Postby jeral » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:49 pm

@ karadekoolaid: Ahh, the proud dad , hug. Did you have to make a speech?

It's bad news for couples getting married today as they'll all look like drowned rats :( Good ol' Bank Holiday weather, don't yer luv it?

Making a veggie layered bake today.

Postby Minnesota Maven » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:02 pm

Congrats K.K. Thank god for freezers :lol: :lol:
Yesterday.....turned a bad situation into a good lunch.
I work (often alone) in an old, 1900 era warehouse that's been renovated (extremely cool space). HOWEVER, a lot of construction is being done in the offices around me :x , very, very noisy work at that. Yesterday they came into my office to "move some pipes" and proceeded to bang, cut pipes with a torch and generally cuss a blue streak (which added to the ambiance) so much that I had to go stand in the back hall or escape to a neighboring coffee shop.
When the building manager came in to check things out I told him that it was getting pretty unbearable.....
He came back 1/2 hour later to offer me a free lunch, whatever I wanted at the owner's restaurant next door....So off I went (after locking everything up) for a rather nice salad with chilled poached salmon and a variety of Nicoiseish side bits...Sadly, no wine/beer....
Went back to find the irate C.W.s who finished the rest of the afternoon with more of the same..... :x :cry:

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox