Register

What's everyone eating this week?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: What's everyone eating this week?

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:34 pm

Tasty looking sausage Sakks :thumbsup

Crazy Water's a lovely book - I bought it y-e-a-r-s ago - got to be at least 15yrs ago - probably longer!! In fact I like anything by Diana Henry, but that was my first intro to her - I'm stopping myself from buying her latest on preserving - so far I'm holding out!

Monkfish & prawn Thai curry here tonight - nice & summery......!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:42 pm

Can you recommend 2 or 3 recipes you found particularly good? I find it awkward to navigate, it clearly needs to be read cover to cover, and I don't think I'll find time...

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:57 pm

I can't at the minute Sakks - it's living out in the garage somewhere in one of the boxes that have the majority of my cookbooks ( waiting for kitchen to be painted) - but I might go hunting for it over the w/end - I'm intrigued now as I see it was republished in 2012 but the original was published 2002 according to the net - I know I bought it when we were living at our previous place which was 14yrs ago........

It is a wordy book - but definitely a good read!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:45 pm

Well here's that Diane Henry orange cake - it reminded me of HFW's pear cake, which took me a couple of attempts to get right. As with that one, this ended up slightly undercooked, although toothpicks seemed to be clean at around 45/50 minutes, and the top looked slightly scorched so I whipped it out anyway. I think the icing sugar dusting (which I've borrowed) is to disguise that in the Waitrose piccy in the link below.

After the description in the book of its taste being "alchemy", it was a bit of an anticlimax, it's OK but not really in my top 5 list, I'd go for HFW's pear cake if you're going for the "almondy", and carrot cake with a very orangey icing if you're going for orangey.

Quite a subtle flavour though if you're going for understatement, and would probably tie in with a Mediterranean theme, which I guess is appropriate. The only difference in this "adapted" Waitrose recipe is that they have doubled the amount of "sauce" (the first 4 ingredients).

Waitrose recipe

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:30 pm

Your cake looks lovely Sakks. I have made a similar one before now, but didn't think the flavours were that subtle to be honest. The one I've made has a lovely marmalade type flavour.

Postby prettykiwicrazy » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:43 pm

Tonight is going to be lemon sole served with butter,capers and lemon.This will be with saute garlic potatoes and podded peas.

Tomorrow I'm cooking a recipe from Delia's How to Cook series - char grilled aubergine and roasted tomato salad with feta cheese,with some olive and tomato ciabatta. Dinner's going to be chicken braised with chicory and creme fraiche from Nigel Slater's Real Food with green beans and lemon.

Monday will be leftovers from the weekend and bits and pieces.

Tuesday will be burgers stuffed with gorgonzola and a few chips with some salad.

Wednesday will be a spicy Mexican turkey stew I made a while back with rice and maybe corn on the cob alongside.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:27 pm

Nice looking cake Sakkarin.

prettykiwicrazy wrote:Tuesday will be burgers stuffed with gorgonzola

Sounds delicious! I love a good cheese filled burger. We had some Sainsburys TTD cheddar stuffed burgers recently which were excellent - really juicy.

Tonight we're having lamb shawarma again (thanks Dena!) with warm sun dried tomato flavoured pitta, mint yoghurt and salad. OH suggested a herby lemon cous cous too but I don't think we need the extra carb.

Vodka and smoked salmon farfalle tomorrow night with a light lemon, cream, fresh garlic and spinach sauce. OH will add dill to his too but as it's a devil food it'll not be going anywhere near my plate. I might add a little parsley to mine instead.

Not got any further than that. I think the BBQ might feature though.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:38 pm

I don't know what prompted it, but I had an urge to make some rum babas, but not having enough baba-shaped tins, I have opted to make a savarin as it uses the same method - but remmbering with embarrassment that the last one I made 14 years ago I burnt (embarrassing because it was in my cookery class!) :-(

The very first one I ever made was perfect though, that's what I'll be aiming for. Right back to the 70s!

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:29 pm

Today I'll be making Chicken Makhani, Spicy Chickpeas, Brinjal Masala, Potato & Tomatoes with coconut, Basmati Pullao, raita and kachumbar. Why? Because I'm giving an Indian Food Course in 4 hours' time.
I will accompany this with Mamta's Sweet Green Mango Chutney ( or rather, her dad's) because it just gets better and better with time!!

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:12 pm

I think we will be eating things that don't require too much time with the cooker on.

Tonight we have fireworks at a friend's village. He has a beautiful balcony overlooking the tower where they are set off. I am taking a clafoutis as my contribution.

Tomorrow it will be lamb skewers on the bbq with a tabouleh and roasted peppers (I cooked them while the oven was on) in oil. I think lunch will be melon with parma ham and mozarella with a minty dressing.

Postby Minnesota Maven » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:43 am

Sadly a real (at best) mediocre lunch at the Mall of America..... :vomit
Went there on a 11am to 3pm shoe search/shopping adventure with one of my BFFs....
Even though I know all the back ways to drive there, it's never wise to eat there on a weekend...We wouldn't if we hadn't finished the circuit :roll:

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:58 pm

The savarin turned out fab! Couldn't be bothered to finish it off (i.e. fill with cream and strawberries and apricot glaze it, although I did soak it in syrup), so no piccy, but it has prompted me to make a point of getting a set of baba moulds and having another bash, but individual babas next time.

I had forgotten quite how liquid the "dough" (more of a batter) is, and also how light the cakey bit is before you soak it with syrup.

Coincidentally, eating it "raw", this time around it reminded me of a very light version of gulab jamun - I may adapt something along those lines in the future.

EDIT: this was the very first savarin I ever made...

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:56 pm

That is one retro looking cake Sakkarin - looks delicious.

OH is away for work for a couple of days which means I have to force myself to cook something other than scrambled egg on toast.

I think i'll have a baked stuffed pepper tonight with some salad, and a light pasta dish of some description tomorrow. I think the pasta dish will involve lemon, basil, courgettes and a little mascarpone and/or parmesan.

Definitely a few days off from bbq'd meat anyway!

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:21 pm

Great looking savarin Sakkers.

I'm doing my version of coronation chicken this evening, followed by raspberries with a splash of framboise eau de vie on fromage blanc,

Postby prettykiwicrazy » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:08 pm

Yesterday was a roast sirloin of beef with a green bean salad, Greek salad , tomatoes and buttered new potatoes followed by a lemon curd sponge and cream. Went down well with friends I'd invited and made amazing sandwiches for lunch.

Tonight , I'm going old school with a prawn cocktail, followed by a thin slice of sponge,strawberries and cream.

Tommorow is going to be a chorizo and potato frittata , with a tomato salad.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:54 pm

Thought I deserved to have someone else cook for me today. Here's the contents of the £4.99 lunchbox from Sri Rathiga restaurant in Watford...

Some of their food is out of this world, some doesn't quite make the grade. On this plate, the dall is perfectly tempered, the naan wonderfully chewy and charred, and the fluffiest rice you could imagine.

Their salad is always a letdown however both in preparation and presentation, and the chicken dish tastes like an Uncle Ben's Sauce creation. The samosa was overspiced.

Postby prettykiwicrazy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:16 pm

Doing a big freezer clear out this week,so am determined to stick to a meal plan this week,in the hopes of having a vaguely emptyish freezer.

Last night was JO's basic chicken curry with spiced rice.

Tonight is a pork chop cooked with double cream and mustard, saute potatoes and a green salad.

Wednesday is a bacon and mushroom pasta bake in a three cheese sauce.

Thursday - salmon with roasted vegetable couscous

Friday - having some friends round,so am making homemade pizzas, one mozarella,tomato and pesto,the other proscuittio and garlic mushroom.

Saturday - caramelised onion and cheshire cheese tart with salad

Postby mellymou » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:24 am

Joanbunting wrote:Great looking savarin Sakkers.

I'm doing my version of coronation chicken this evening, followed by raspberries with a splash of framboise eau de vie on fromage blanc,

Hi Joan - would you be able to share your version of coronation chicken please - I always enjoy the twist you put on your recipes. Thanks in advance

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:50 pm

Hi mellymou,

Actually I kind of make it up as I go along depending on what is to hand, but basically I do half and half yogurt and mayo, as much curry paste of whatever quantity or strength tastes right then, some homemade mango chutney. If I have it I add some chopped fresh coriander, cashew nuts, fresh sliced apricots or peaches in summer or no-soak dried ones in winter, chopped spring onion and then fold in the chicken.

Sometimes, if it is for a crowd, I mix in the rice but other times I serve the rice apart. I serve it on a bed of garden lettuce with some lemon slices and cucumber wedges, or baby tomatoes if I have them.

Sorry not to be precise but that, I'm afraid, is how I cook everyday!

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:51 pm

prettykiwicrazy, we're also trying to empty the freezer. It seems like an ongoing battle as I keep buying and freezing more stuff! Your food for the week sounds great.

I've been making rough plans for the next week based on some stuff in the freezer and have sort of decided on the following...

Nigel Slaters garlic and herb chicken with garlic and lemon mayo, watercress and frites

BBQ'd lamb of some description with chilli, olive and feta crushed new potatoes

Octopus and chorizo salad (octopus might be subbed for squid, depends on availability at fishmongers)

Donald Russell lasagne, garlic bread and salad

Rib-eye steak with a beetroot, potato, feta and thyme rosti cake, with salad or veg

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox