Register

I love Meat Loaf

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

I love Meat Loaf

Postby Global_Worming » Thu May 10, 2012 8:33 am

Hot or Cold its a dish that rocks my boat. I have a base mix that is made up of equal parts of Beef, Lamb and Pork mince.I then mess with the veg, herbs and spices.

My quest for the holy grail of meatloafissimo has taken me to various countries.
Your TNT recipes and methods please :)

Re: I love Meat Loaf

Postby Alison Wright » Thu May 10, 2012 3:04 pm

We ate some really good ones in New York delis/cafes, but it's not something I make on a regular basis & I'm not keen on the ones which are covered & cooked in tomato sauce.

Quite a few years ago I found Nigella's recipe on the NY Times website which uses applesauce & it's really moist & delicious - it's the only one I make now.

http://www.nytimes.com/recipes/270/Meatloaf.html

Postby hungryhousewife » Thu May 10, 2012 3:41 pm

James Beard has several recipes, my favourite of which is his three-meat meat loaf. He uses 2lb beef, 1lb pork, 1lb veal, together with shallots, grated carrot, rosemary, nutmeg, tobasco, 3 eggs, fresh breadcrumbs and streaky bacon.
The veal and pork combo keep it juicy and delicous!!

Must make some soooooon!!

HH

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 10, 2012 3:43 pm

The best I have made is this one, a Cajun style recipe

http://souvigne.pagesperso-orange.fr/recipes/main140.htm

The evaporated milk is scary but essential!

Nice cold too, which is a bonus

Postby BelgianEndive » Thu May 10, 2012 5:43 pm

Yep Ian's meatloaf is great. We use grandma's recipes for meatloaf. Everyone in Belgium has a recipe. I mix three meats, 2 parts beef, 1 part pork and & 1 part veal. Add egg, small spoon mustard, chopped shallot, chopped parsley, a carré frais (a sort of fresh cheese), breadcrumbs, a splash of Worcestershire sauce. Mix with the hands. Form a loaf in a dish and bake at 180 (170° if fan) till done (depends on the size). Stays moist and is a delight warm or cold.

Postby Global_Worming » Sat May 12, 2012 8:05 am

Thank you all for the recipes :thumbsup
Stokers the cajun loaf looks a treat.Where do I buy unsweetened evap?

Postby AZCook » Sat May 12, 2012 5:59 pm

GW - evap milk is the consistency of single cream (which I prefer) and is always unsweetened. You're probably thinking of sweetened condensed milk, the thick syrupy stuff.

Here in the US, meatloaf is soul food and I have several versions, all of which are greatly loved by sundry family members and friends. The secret to a very good meatloaf IMO is in it's very savoury plainness and simplicity - the meat and texture has to be king My basic method is to start with plenty of finely chopped onions, fried low and slow in evoo until soft together with finely chopped green and/or red pepper. Add whatever else you like. Mix thoroughly and energetically with an egg, some fresh breadcrumbs and a good dollop of ketchup or tomato paste, S&P and herbs if you like. All-beef meatloaf is standard fare, no veal to be seen or had in these parts, though I sometimes add some pork. Sometimes I zap the meat to a superfine consitency which is actually pretty good, easier to slice, and which I prefer to the little granules of ordinary ground meat which I've never paticularly cared for.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat May 12, 2012 8:28 pm

Global_Worming wrote:Thank you all for the recipes :thumbsup
Stokers the cajun loaf looks a treat.Where do I buy unsweetened evap?

any supermaker or convenience store

Carnation brand or supermarket own, and do read the label as Carnation do the sweetened (condensed) stuff as well

The half size can is enough for the recipe

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox