Register

Whipping double cream

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Whipping double cream

Postby Binky » Wed May 09, 2012 4:48 pm

Do we take the carton straight from the fridge or allow to warm to room temperature before whipping?

Also, does anyone know if there's a technical reason as to why temperature affects the consistency?

Re: Whipping double cream

Postby jeral » Wed May 09, 2012 5:12 pm

Hmm. If double cream is overwhipped, it separates into a clump and watery whey. In the UK, they do sell whipping cream which has a lower fat content than double cream.

I think room temp cream will whip quicker than chilled cream so the trick I reckon is knowing when to stop whisking whether chilled or not. If it will subsequently be chilled, rather than eaten straight away, then using chilled would theoretically give it a head start (so it holds) but there are lots of ifs and buts.

Postby Binky » Wed May 09, 2012 5:39 pm

I'm using mine to fill a victoria sponge cake.

It was in the fridge at the shop an hour ago, but I've left the carton on the kitchen table while the cake is baking.

I was just wondering what, if any, is the effect of temperature on the whipped consistency. I use an electric beater and have not had any curdled/whey effects yet.

Postby Belgian Blue » Wed May 09, 2012 6:23 pm

If you want a stiff light whipped cream (Chantilly), it should stay refrigerated until the very last minute before whipping. Some recipes even suggest leaving the bowl (container) you are going to whip the cream in also in the refrigerator. I only read this fairly recently and now I do it all the time. IMO you do get a lovely stiff result by doing this and the cream wont dribble out of cakes etc.

Me and science makes two. If Stokey Sue is around I'm sure she'll be able to explain the science behind it. Perhaps it has to do with the fat in the cream and perhaps this stays more in solid form when the cream is kept very cold. Mind you, this is only a guess. But I do know that it makes a difference.

BB

Postby hungryhousewife » Wed May 09, 2012 7:43 pm

Hi Binky! Blue is absolutely right - and most recipes using cream in a mousse insist that the mix and the cream must be chilled, or the mousse will split. I don't know the science either, but I think its something to do with the fat globules. But all you have to remember is that straight from the fridge is definitely best!
HH

Postby jeral » Wed May 09, 2012 10:34 pm

Hi Binky. "...the effect of temperature on the whipped consistency..."
Cream will be warmed by the friction heat of beating/whisking. The warmer it is or if left out in a warm temperature, the sooner it will "melt" and possibly soggify the cake, er Euu which is why some people use only jam in Vic sponges and set cream to one side with a token strawberry or two. Better to whisk and put the cream in the cake as near as possible to serving time, keeping it refrigerated of course meanwhile. If no option than to make cake then chill, it could be worth looking at chantilly options (i.e. mixing in icing sugar).

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox