Register

Recipes from Greece, Crete and Cyprus

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Recipes from Greece, Crete and Cyprus

Postby Dena » Wed May 09, 2012 3:16 pm

Does anyone have recommendations please for a good authentic recipe book, in all my books I have realised I don't have anything that is really authentic. I have found some brilliant recipes on line from various web sites but would like a good book to browse through (definitely my last!!)

Thank you :)

Re: Recipes from Greece, Crete and Cyprus

Postby hungryhousewife » Wed May 09, 2012 3:29 pm

Afternoon Dena!
I have Vefa's Kitchen, by Phaidon - it's another heavy book, I'm afraid, but it is a proper authentic Greek bilble. It is very much a book of recipes and not in anyway a coffee table book. I think it is excellent, as I love Greek food and wanted a proper book. It has some colour plates, interspersed among the recipes, but is more of a straightforward recipe book.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... en&x=0&y=0

I also have Flavours of Greece by Rosemary Barron - which I also like, although it has no pictures at all!

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Searc ... +of+Greece

Hope this helps!
HH

Postby spotteddick » Wed May 09, 2012 9:39 pm

Dena wrote:Does anyone have recommendations please for a good authentic recipe book, in all my books I have realised I don't have anything that is really authentic. I have found some brilliant recipes on line from various web sites but would like a good book to browse through (definitely my last!!)

Thank you :)

Dena

I have cooking from cyprus by Nearchos Nivolaou,I bought it in 1979 and it cost 3 cypus pounds. It is now very dog eared and falling apart as I use it very much. (I am doing a greek/cypriot evening for my Birthday the weekend after next). It contains no photographs, but each recipe has a drawing (not all that well done, but this only adds to the authentisity) to acompany it. I have looked at many other recipes for "authentic" greek/cypriot recipes, but always return to this little pearl.

I made my "souppa avgolemono" from the book just a couple of weeks ago with just a little twist and it turned out fantastic.

I visited the island as part of my work and on holiday many times during the next 35 years, would have loved to have settled there (many expats did) but my work took me to Germany, but I still have a yearning for the Island of Aphrodite.

Oh yes the Souppa Avgolemono from my blog

http://spotteddick-itsallinthegame.blog ... emono.html

The books number is ISBN9963-7516-0-1

I don't know what it costs now but it is the best 3 quid I have ever spent :thumbsup
Last edited by spotteddick on Wed May 09, 2012 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby mismatched » Wed May 09, 2012 9:48 pm

I have not seen any Cypriot Cookery books that I would recommend although there are a couple that I would avoid.
I must check to see of anyone has a copy of Nearchos Nicolaus book, thanks for the ISBN number, Dick

I have just checked amazon, they have a couple of copies. Oddly, I have never seem the book anywhere, he must have had a falling out with the main distributors
Last edited by mismatched on Wed May 09, 2012 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Dena » Wed May 09, 2012 9:58 pm

Thank you H.H. and spotteddick, I can't resist a bargain and found a copy of the one you recommended SD on Amazon for 1p + P&P. It is winging it's way here now (well tomorrow morning) :thumbsup

Postby spotteddick » Wed May 09, 2012 10:06 pm

mismatched wrote:I have not seen any Cypriot Cookery books that I would recommend although there are a couple that I would avoid.
I must check to see of anyone has a copy of Nearchos Nikolaus book, thanks for the ISBN number, Dick

Ah my fellow early morning riser :lol:
I think we had a similar thread many moons ago on the "OLD" BBC thread and both Mary and I had the same book. I think it is the only cookery book written by a native Cypriot (he cooked for quite a few diplomats, not that has anything to do with the price of fish). Most of the others are Greek ones.

I thought that one of our expats would be along :clap to add authentisity to the thread :lol:

Postby Global_Worming » Thu May 10, 2012 7:56 am

Dena try to find Robin Howe's 1960's book Greek Cooking.

These are a few lines from the 60's introduction.

Almost everything Greek is controversial; the country, the politics, the economy, and naturally the food and wines.
The controversy over Greek cooking is whether it is really Greek or Turkish by origin.

The book was reprinted in 1998 by Andre Deutsch.

Postby Dena » Thu May 10, 2012 11:58 am

Thank you GFW, Amazon have some good condition second hand ones for 1p + P&P of £2.80.

I don't know whether to thank the person who told me about these second hand editions or not :lol: :lol: - whereas I might think twice if the books were expensive, under £3.00 is a bargain (in my book ;)) too good to pass up on.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox