Register

The Great Jaffa Cake Taste Test

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

The Great Jaffa Cake Taste Test

Postby kavey » Tue May 08, 2012 9:30 am

Thought you might be interested in this one -
The Great Jaffa Cake Taste Test results are out!
How did the various brands perform against each other in a blind tasting?
http://www.kaveyeats.com/2012/05/the-ka ... -test.html

Re: The Great Jaffa Cake Taste Test

Postby Tatihou » Tue May 08, 2012 1:03 pm

Jaffa cakes. Mmmmm. 8-)

Lidl's are my favourite - of those I've tried and I've never seen an oblong Jaffa Cake... :o that's just wrong :lol:

Postby jeral » Tue May 08, 2012 4:44 pm

Fascinating. I wouldn't have known to look out for all those different aspects. Who'd thought we could all become jaffa cake connoisseurs?

Did anyone make Simon Rimmer's version? He made them some months ago on Something for the Weekend. I wonder how they'd compare in a taste test... Here's the link to his recipe: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/homem ... akes_91480

Postby ordinarygull » Tue May 08, 2012 5:08 pm

spooky - my son was moaning this morning that I'd bought Lidl jaffa cakes (24 for 86p) rather than mcvities (12 for £1) he said they were Joffo cakes as they are not proper ones. Doesn't stop him eating the whole box in one go though....

Postby kavey » Tue May 08, 2012 7:22 pm

I made up my tasting sheets, just figured best to break it down into the main components - sponge, jelly and chocolate - plus appearance/ smell and then overall taste/ balance.

Am I a bit anal? Probably!

Was genuinely very surprised by the result but it was way out in front of the rest, really.

Postby Tatihou » Tue May 08, 2012 8:20 pm

ordinarygull wrote:spooky - my son was moaning this morning that I'd bought Lidl jaffa cakes...

Keep a McVitties box and put Lidl Jaffas in it - bet he won't notice the difference. :thumbsup :twisted:

jeral wrote:Did anyone make Simon Rimmer's version?
I didn't, but I remember seeing it. It just looked like a faff when the "real thing" was easy to come by, taste exactly as I want them to and are... er... cheap!

Postby jeral » Tue May 08, 2012 9:20 pm

Im inclined to agree, Tatihou. I might need to prove to myself that I can make some things, but jaffa cakes isn't one of them.

Another good taste test is to ask someone to compare two plates, both of which have identical items on. It's unusual for someone to find no differences.

Postby kavey » Tue May 08, 2012 11:06 pm

That's a good point. But in this case, when we had 12 brands, presented anonymously, people were quick to point out that they found x virtually indistinguishable from y. They weren't even looking at them side by side (I sent one round at a time). Afterwards, when we looked at IDs/ prices we realised that chances were high that they were indeed made by the same manufacturer.

Also, sometimes there are differences. I had one and I found the sponge dry. But when I went back and had another half of one, I realised I'd just happened on a slightly dry corner. I had more again and realised the first had been the exception...

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox