Register

Pastry

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Pastry

Postby Binky » Mon May 07, 2012 3:42 pm

Pastry is one of my weak points. People say it tastes nice, but it is always crumbly. I usually have difficulty when rolling it out too.

My question is this: why are we told to let pastry rest in the fridge before rollling? I always let it rest for about 15 minutes, but on the counter top. This is because pastry has been made for centuries and fridges are a new invention so it cannot be necessary for a good outcome. However my crumbly - but tasty - pastry has set me wondering.....

Re: Pastry

Postby jeral » Mon May 07, 2012 5:13 pm

On the fridge thing, it could be because larders and sculleries tended to be naturally cold, receiving little sunlight and houses were built with way more solid bricks than the lighter-weight (effectively aerated) ones they are these days which don't have the same insulating properties.

Onto the pastry. If it's baked whilst warm from the friction heat of making and rolling, it will be tough/hard when cooked (hence refrigerating). If it's overly crumbly - maybe it's meant to be? Or perhaps post up what proportions of what ingredients you are using to make what sort of pastry? Sweet shortcrust should be crumbly-ish. If using all butter, then half and half with lard (meat or veg lard as appropriate) could help. Working in the dark at the moment until more info given.

PS Rolling pastry out between cling film might help, so that extra flour doesn't get in when flouring board and pin so drying pastry out.

(Edit because didn't get it right first time.)

Postby AZCook » Mon May 07, 2012 9:48 pm

Binky - a food processor will make perfect pastry every time. Guaranteed. :thumbsup You do need to chill most pastry for at least about 20 minutes. Also, I've found that you need just enough water to get one small notch above crumbly to rollable - it makes a huge difference to the ease of handling (won't fall apart) and rolling out.

Postby hungryhousewife » Mon May 07, 2012 10:25 pm

Hi Binky! I never rest my pastry in the fridge before rolling, as I find it too hard to roll when cold and it always cracks.
What I do, although not an expert, is make the pastry in the processor - just pulse till the fat and flour resemble sand - then add the least amount of liquid -

for 6oz of flour, I do 3 oz butter, cut up, and a pinch of sugar and salt - pulse together - then, in a little jug - mix 1 egg yolk with 2 tbs cold water - whisk together a bit, then add to the processor - quickly pulse again until it comes together in larger lumps - like crumble mix. Do not pulse any more at this stage - put the mixture on the work top and gently bring together into a circular shape with your curved fingers, but do not knead.

Put a long sheet of cling film on the counter - place the circular disc of pastry dough on top, then cover with a 2nd sheet of cling film. Roll from the top of the 2nd piece of cling film - taking care that the edge of the film doesn't get caught under the dough.

When it's the right size, take off the top bit of cling film and, using the bottom bit to guide the pastry, line your tart tin. Using the spare bit of cling film push the dough gently into the ripples/corners and bottom of the tart tin. Remove the remaining bit of cling film - prick the base of the tart thoroughly with a fork- then put the lot in the fridge for 20 mins - without trimming.

Put the tart, on a baking tray, in the oven at 200C for 10 mins - then egg wash and return to the oven for 5 mins.
(I never bother with baking beans either) When you take the tart case out of the oven, allow to cool for about 5 mins, then, with a sharp knife, trim off the overhang - now your tart case is ready to fill. :clap

HH

Postby Alison Wright » Tue May 08, 2012 12:42 am

Years ago when I first heard about chilling pastry, I also found rolling it out difficult & frustrating as the pastry was too cold, crumbly & almost unworkable.

Then I read an article which said it was fine to allow the pastry to 'warm' up a little after chilling & before rolling - as the chilling process had done it's job. It's 'job' was to allow the pastry to relax for a while so the starch cells had time to swell & absorb the liquid evenly. So if I chill it for 45mins, I remove from the fridge & let it warm up for about 20mins before rolling out - with no probs at all.

If it's a very rich buttery pastry I roll out between two sheets of baking parchment if I have no clingfilm. Ideally if I have the time, I've found once the flan case is lined, it's best if it's chilled again before baking to reduce any further possible shrinkage.

Postby Binky » Tue May 08, 2012 9:43 am

Very interesting replies here!

I use a food processor* and leave the pastry to relax as everyone else here has said. I knew about the expansion of the flour grain as, I think, it's the same process when making Yorkshire pudding batters that have to 'rest' for exactly the same reason.

What is different is the use of clingfilm. My instinctive reaction is that the pastry will stick to it, but as so many people here have said it's part of the pastrymaking process, then I shall give it a go with the next batch.

My recipe is the standard 6oz flour /3oz butter for an 8"/9" flan dish. As I mentioned, it's very nice to eat (my husband is really finicky with shop-bought pastry cases and always cuts the excess away, so we don't use these that often).

*I had a KitchenAid for donkey's years but have now moved on to the Magimix 5200. I think the KA was the better machine....

Postby irishcountry-cousin » Tue May 08, 2012 10:02 am

If it is too crumbly to roll out and very difficult to handle, then you may need just a touch more water or lemon juice or egg to bind. Don't add too much or the pastry will shrink when cooking. Have a look at the pastry I made here

http://fionsars.blogspot.com/2012/03/de ... -tart.html

It is not too dry and rolls out quite easily, thought I do roll it out when made and then rest it in the fridge.

Most importantly keep trying. My OH is the same and doesn't like shop bought pastry either, (except for puff)

Postby jeral » Tue May 08, 2012 10:17 pm

Hi Binky. Something which has sort of been said below is worth saying outright, i.e. that it's best to rest the pastry in a flattened state, either by having used heel of palm or by gently rolling. Meaning that, if rested as a ball, it is more likely to crack around the edges when you try to roll it out, especially if very short.

I don't think anyone has mentioned patching? It can be better to allow any cracks and patch with offcuts rather than trying to re-roll (never a good plan re toughening). As your pastry tastes good, it sounds like the "handling time" must be right so patching could be a way forward, possibly together with a spot of extra water and/or using clingfilm.

Postby hungryhousewife » Tue May 08, 2012 10:30 pm

I have also found that if you are making little tartlets, for instance, and you want to reroll the trimmings - the best thing to do, IMO, is to put the excess trimmings back in the magimix, and briefly pulse - then regroup and roll as per the first rolling. Doing it this way, rather than just regrouping the trimmings, leads to a much better 2nd roll. :)
HH

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox