Register

Stinky Microwaves and Cleaning-Needy Kit

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM
Les Mains

Stinky Microwaves and Cleaning-Needy Kit

Postby Les Mains » Mon May 07, 2012 11:38 am

I wanted to mic some scrambled egg this morning and yet again someone had been cooking some very smelly food in it recently -- curry from a freezer cabinet, I think -- and though the mic looked perfectly clean, the smell was horrid and you really don't want that when you are cooking something very delicately-flavoured like scrammy.

1. Does anyone have any tips on how to clean mics so they are clean, looking clean and smelling clean? If I could get a good answer to that I might go ahead and buy the combi I am hoping to buy!

2. There are so many bits of kitchen kit that work fine but by the time you've cleaned them you might as well have used a couple of great-grandmama's kitchen bits and washed them in the washing up bowl! Can anyone share tips on how to clean those kitchen aids that would be really good IF ONLY they didn't need so much pre-preparation or cleaning/disassembly ?

Re: Stinky Microwaves and Cleaning-Needy Kit

Postby ordinarygull » Mon May 07, 2012 11:49 am

For whiffy microwaves you can heat a bowl of water with half a lemon in it - no film over the top - the steam can be wiped out afterwards and it seems to clean and get rid of the pong too!

Postby Wokman » Mon May 07, 2012 12:21 pm

For whiffy microwaves you can heat a bowl of water with half a lemon in it - no film over the top - the steam can be wiped out afterwards and it seems to clean and get rid of the pong too!

I agree, in fact the instructions with my combi say to do exactly that, although there is a special setting on the combi to clean it.

Postby jeral » Mon May 07, 2012 5:42 pm

One idea is to leave the door slightly ajar after any food is taken out so that the microwave can "air dry" the smell (assuming no droppings, or "roof hits" if food not covered). Think about it, the fan isn't working if switched off so any smell if door closed will stay there and get more burnt at next time of use. Hope that doesn't sound rude, but it's the same as washing machines have a "not quite closed" door position.

Wiping out with a weak solution of bicarbonate of soda in water is fine (after cleaning obvious splashes off); don't wipe it off until next cleaning.

Not sure about combies. I'm not an expert but definitely wouldn't want one with an exposed grill element. Very good models around now at £lots. Don't think they'd be any less susceptible to residual smells than a cheap one if the cause is the same so two different questions really.

Les Mains

Postby Les Mains » Mon May 07, 2012 8:18 pm

Thanks, guys, that all makes a lot of sense...

Postby Pampy » Wed May 09, 2012 12:00 pm

I got a combi last year and am REALLY pleased with it. The only downside is that it's lined with stainless steel and it's really hard to remove grease splashes from it, particularly as they seem to bake on as soon as they happen. However, I've recently (re-)discovered Barkeeper's Friend which is really good for cleaning it up. You just have to be careful not to get any stuck in the 'gratings' that are in the roof and sides of the interior - it's nigh on impossible to remove easily and then it drops onto your food during any cooking cycle!

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 11, 2012 6:11 pm

I like my combi, a fairly cheap Prestige (picked because it has very clear push button controls , not the printed plastic things I can't read) It is excellent, though the instruction book is so bad it is a potential health & safety issue, and the grill is so low powered I don't bother

Anyay, the point is that I find it very easy to clean,but a couple of points

I agree with them lemon (or lime) in water to chase out the smell, the squeezed out shells are fine, no need to waste a whole one

You can't leave the door open on mine (or many others) as the light stays on (like a fridge) and it gets quite hot - it's a bright light. I guess I could switch it off, bu the socket is behind it

The best way of keeping a microwave clean seems to be to invest in a cheap plastic cover that sits over containers you are microwaving. It doesn't stop them boiling over but no splashes at all!

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox