Register

CHATTERBOX

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: Chatterbox

Postby Uschi » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:55 pm

That's awful, Jeral!
I hope that you are feeling more comfortable now and that it'll heal quickly.

Try to get some sun, it'll help you making vitamin D which, in turn, is good for the bones.

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:57 pm

Poor poor you Jeral :newhuggy :newhuggy

You know one keeps hearing horror stories about the NHS and the lack of compassion but it is completely unforgiveable. How did you manage to break the other arm? Are you a judo black belt or something or did you just meet one??

I hope you are feeling a bit more comfortable today - keep taking the tablets and take care.

Postby jeral » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:22 pm

Thanks all for your good wishes. After a broken bone, the dreadful pain does diminish after a couple of days, so ordinary pain mostly now. I was chucked out asap after breakfast next morning - I'd have been happy to stay put and not move at all for another day but hey ho. A man twice my size accidentally barged into me on the busy high street and knocked me flying backwards. I landed on my behind, then elbow, shoulder and head, so I'm counting my lucky stars it wasn't hip, elbow or shoulder (or head!) - now that is serious good luck :)

Having osteoporosis and being thin (no padding) doesn't help. I do hope people eat well when younger to avoid brittle bones, now more is known about it.

I think it might have been different at the hospital if I'd had someone with me to "stand up for me".

Anyway, in a few days I should be able to do lots of things one-armed :thumbsup

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:57 pm

Ah I did wonder about osteoporosis Jeral.

M's mum was a sufferer and matters were made worse when it turned out that she had been diagnosed 20 years previously but her then GP didn't see the need to inform her. It was only when she registered with a new GP who took time to read her notes that she received any treatment, which by that time was much too late.

Like you she didn't bounce !

Postby Puss-in-boots » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:18 pm

A new series of The Cube is on now on ITV. It seems like an age since the last series. I love it.

Jeral, so sorry to hear about your other broken arm, hope you get well soon. :newhuggy

Lovely picture as always uschi.xxx

Have been watching Edward VIII The plot to topple a king. Very interesting. xx

Postby Renée » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:29 pm

Jeral, what awful treatment you had! I can just imagine the pain that you were in and their attitude was disgraceful. I am just realising how lucky I am to be living in Lancashire. The staff in hospitals here are wonderful. My friend who has osteoporosis of the spine is taking a once a week medication. They do say that women under 10 stones, are more likely to get osteoporosis.
I hope that you are feeling more comfortable now.

I must watch out for Edward VIII, Puss.

Postby jeral » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:30 pm

I missed Edward VIII; luckily it's on again at 0205 am on 4Seven (Ch.47) later today, Mon (well early Tue really).

Thanks Renee. I took alendronic acid a few years ago but stopped due to some Net reports of possible severe side effects. I had a bone density scan recently (not so good) and wait to hear if a treatment will be recommended.

@ Uschi - forgot to say ta for the card - it cheers me up very much :)

Postby Renée » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:47 pm

Did you discuss it with your GP, jeral? Not everyone gets bad side effects. My friend is taking it.

Postby Renée » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:52 pm

I see what you mean, jeral. I've just been reading about it.

http://www.nos.org.uk/page.aspx?pid=1235

Postby Puss-in-boots » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:59 am

Morning, did you get to watch Edward VIII after?

Oesteoperosis is a nasty thing, lets hope you get it sorted soon Jeral. Hope your arm is mending nicely too. x

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:57 pm

I am suffering from the yearly urge to de-clutter. It always happens around this time of year.

In some ways I envy DD having to move every two years. She is a past master(mistress) at not hanging on to anything that is no-longer useful, but as her OH climbs the promotion ladder the houses get bigger and she has more room.

I am fairly brutal about clothes and shoes and stick to my one in one out principles - same goes for the wine cellar too I suppose :wino

When it rained last week I emptied the cupboards and drawers in our bathroom and discovered a box of toileteries I had brought from Newcastle 10 years ago :oops: :oops: :oops:
I threw most out but among them was a bottle of Balmain Vent Vert perfume bought for me by M because in From Russia with Love, one of James Bond's girls used it and he loved it! We were both Ian Flemming addicts.

Have you found anything that brings back memories recently? Are you Spring Cleaners ?

Postby jeral » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:20 pm

Hi. I did watch Ed VIII; much focus on how the archbishop was seemingly orchestrating the king's downfall for his own self aggrandisement, although as the liaison was an open secret, I guess something would have to give sooner or later, so perhaps the archbishop just made it sooner.

Arm not too bad now, though hard to get it comfortable but early days yet.
@ Renee: Interesting; I had a hip problem a while back for no apparent reason (not bumped or anything) and had to take to walking with a stick on bad days. It's OK now. I'm wondering if there was a connection with the pills in retrospect, although it could just have been coincidence. I've just got a letter to see doc following bone scan so we'll see what's suggested.

Postby jeral » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:29 pm

Hi Joanbunting. Easter is the best time usually to decorate - it's not damp (hopefully), or too hot that paint dries before it hits the wall, or silly midges around. One thing's for sure - can't decorate around junk hiding behind doors etc ;) so have to clear the room. Then, make absolutely sure that only that which "you" really want goes back in again :) Well, that's the plan at any rate :thumbsup

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:57 pm

Jeral

Who said anything about decorating :o :o ?

Both M and I are allergic to DIY. If you saw the height of our bedroom you may understand!! I did buy a magical brush about 3 weeks ago. It expands to 20 metres and the head swivels so I can get at the spiders' webs in there and on the staircase. We once had a bat living in the beams who refused to leave until Spring! The brush would have dealt with it

Postby jeral » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:58 pm

Tee hee - I'd be a danger to anything around if wielding a 66ft brush :shock: I do have a good cobweb one (extends c.2M), like a gentle bristle loo brush that collects them perfectly - the brush's sole purpose in fact and I wouldn't be without it.

DIY decorating is a piece of cake - it's moving the furniture that's the nuisance, which many pro decorators won't do, any more than pro carpet cleaners will, only doing "the bits you can see" if furniture is in the room. Hence wisdom of de-cluttering first... Trailing wires for gadgets permanently plugged in probably deserve a thread of their own - or use the "off" switch at the main fuse box :mrgreen:

Postby Puss-in-boots » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:51 pm

Joan the problem I have with getting rid of things from the kitchen is that you can guarantee that if I throw something out that I think I will never use again I will wish I hadn't when I come to make something. It has happened a few times before so am now reluctant to get rid, so I just decomishion (sp) it to the garage... :lol: :lol:

I had a lovely Bouquet of flowers and Card delivered earlier from my boys for Mothers Day so am a very happy bunny, even if a little hungover...The meal was Magic1 last night though and the :wino went down very well. A little too well me thinks.

Postby Puss-in-boots » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:15 pm

Afternoon folks. Freezing here again. :roll:

We are having home made pie the filling being chicken and roast vegetables with home made chips this evening... :yum

Joan did you get your kitchen sorted...or decorating...? :tongueout :lol:

Postby Happy Violas » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:33 pm

I had a bit of a de-clutter of my kitchen as I moved everything into the dining room in preparation for my new kitchen being installed. Trouble is that I'm sure the stuff multiplied whilst in the dining room as there isn't a lot of spare space now I've moved back into the kitchen despite having cupboards up to the ceiling! :)

Postby Puss-in-boots » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:30 pm

Always the way Happy Violas and you will probably end up buying more stuff for your new kitchen too as you 'seem' to have more space.... :? We were like that when OH built our old kitchen but still wondered how we fitted it all into the small one before that.

Hope you enjoy your new one. What is it like?

Postby Puss-in-boots » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:26 pm

Afternoon folks, quite mild here today but its cold inside for a change... :?

:) Just trying something

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox