Register

CHATTERBOX

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM
Site Admin

Re: CHATTERBOX

Postby Sakkarin » Thu May 03, 2018 11:57 am

Was watching this video as the "wadi/vadi/badi" is a new ingredient to me (dried lentil dumplings), but the translations had me laughing out loud.

"split dal and ground spices" became "SPILT dal and grinned species"....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7uA6Z13M4s

Postby Renée » Thu May 03, 2018 4:02 pm

Yes, translations can be so funny! I got the impression that the dumplings can be stored for quite some time.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat May 05, 2018 12:51 pm

It's always annoyed me that Special K cereal markets itself as a slimming aid, so I'm pleased to see that the latest advertising campaign has avoided that particular lie.

However they've embraced a new branding concept which is just as misleading and idiotic, which focusses on the vitamins B6 and B12 content, "Powering You" through your day.

Firstly these vitamins are added, they're not vitamins from the actual cereals. As such, they could be added to anything to make the product the fatuous "powering you" of the advert. It could be Pop Tarts or Baked Beans with added B vitamins.

Secondly, I thought I'd check the vitamin content of more humble cereals, and I found that Kelloggs Cornflakes, surely the humblest of cereals, has EXACTLY the same amount of both B12 and B6 added. So you will be "Powering You" by buying cornflakes just as much.

Special K, 100g/30g "serving":
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/p ... /258549232

Niacin 13.4 mg (84) 4.0 mg (25)
Vitamin B6 1.2 mg (84) 0.35 mg (25)
Folic Acid 334 µg (167) 100 µg (50)
Vitamin B12 2.1 µg (84) 0.60 µg (25)

Cornflakes, 100g/30g "serving":
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/p ... /293741423

Niacin (B3) 13.3mg (83) 4.0mg (25)
Vitamin B6 1.2mg (83) 0.35mg (25)
Folic Acid (B9) 166µg (83) 50.0µg (25)
Vitamin B12 2.1µg (83) 0.63µg (25)

Coincidentally, Special K has twice as much added folic acid as the cornflakes. A portion of beans would naturally have more folic acid, so bring on those breakfast beans.

The Ad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT_LV5tBSpg

Postby jeral » Sat May 05, 2018 4:25 pm

Hi Sakkarin, re a much earlier post of yours about shot glasses for assembling ingredients like spices, I came across these which are 23cl capacity, 10 x 18.7 x 18.7cm, and are the splayed shape you wanted, @ £1.21 each and free P&P if order over £20. Dunno if they might suit but "saw these and thought of you":
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ravenhead-Luna ... s+tumblers

I also found the ones I said I'd been on the lookout for, but "mine" are twice the price at £2.50 each *Ouch*:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Luminarc-Shot- ... ot+glasses

PS: I like "mine" because you can use a teaspoon handle (or a chopstick) to stir in a drop of oil or water for herbs or mustard powder that need "wetting".

Postby jeral » Sat May 05, 2018 5:00 pm

On breakfast cereals, I don't know if it is still the case, but I thought they all had obligatorily or advisedly to enrich their product with the usual list of essential vits, so I could never understand how come certain health food brand versions didn't need to have said added vits. I think artisan bread escapes having to have added vits like steamed white bread has to, so, as you say, "healthy" is a stretchable piece of string.

However, to me the biggest joke was always the 30g serving measure, introduced when it had to fit into the RDA total also shown. 30g is maybe 1/3rd of of a typical serving - and yet that ludicrously small 30g is still allowed to be quoted as the serving measure even after at least 20 years of decrying its validity.

Of course, labellers get away with it as who weighs breakfast cereal? People pour out the amount they know they want to that'll be enough...

Whimsically, it reminds me of a washing machine repairman who, probably sticking to the instruction manual, asked me: "Did you weigh the washing load first?" OK, hands up please anyone who does weigh cereal or washing?

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun May 06, 2018 8:23 am

Breakfast cereal is scary stuff.
I've got to the point where I dare not read the packet. I've been buying Belvitas, I simply like them at breakfast coupled with a banana.
And Tony has moaned to me about the sugar content ..... I still don't know what it is.

I'd better educate myself.

Jeral, my husband weighs loads sometimes, if they are heavy material. He's a washing machine brochure fiend.
I swear he reads it so much, he could recite it.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun May 06, 2018 8:35 am

Belvitas are biscuits, no ifs, no ands, no buts....

Go for a digestive at a fraction of the price!

I occasionally buy them when they're half price (which is often), but I know that part of the reason I am buying them is because I have been duped into thinking they are healthier than a normal biscuit, so feel I'm eating them without blame.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun May 06, 2018 9:23 am

I used to eat digestives like a sandwich. 2 with butter between.

I think the answer is to buy Ryvita. I've always liked them.
And leave the real biscuits on the supermarket shelf, Sakkers.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun May 06, 2018 12:49 pm

I have weighed amounts of cereal in the past, but only when I've been dieting. The 30g serving is ridiculously small for a an adult, even doing a sedentary job like administration. I used to have to snack during the morning to avoid any embarrassing stomach rumbles.

Re Belvita biscuits - I've only ever had a couple of those 'on the go' packs you get in newsagents. They've done the job at the time but I find them far too sweet for me. I can't say I've ever enjoyed eating them because of that sickly sweetness.

Postby Joanbunting » Sun May 06, 2018 3:58 pm

I don't have this problem. I don't and never have, eaten breakfast cereals. Fistly because I hate milk and secondly because it has always seemed to me that you might as well just eat the box.

The only biscuits I eat are digestives and even then only one a day. This doesn't mean I don't eat really naughty things like puddings beacause I do and usually home made.

I'm not a snacker but I do like a square of very dark coffee after lunch.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun May 06, 2018 6:26 pm

I haven't had a digestive for centuries now - just can't stand the sweetness, same with cereals - even longer probably, but do like ryvita with whatever on top - usually blue cheese or marmite....or both.....The Lushly never ever eat them but lately has started to make a banana sandwich with them for breakfast - the noise is unbearable.........!

Postby Renée » Sun May 06, 2018 7:59 pm

Ear plugs come to mind! :lol: I love the Ryvita with onion which is my favourite at the moment.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun May 06, 2018 8:51 pm

I agree with the non-cereal eaters - the nutritional content is irrelevant, as I won't beceating anything that resembles sugared cardboard. Yuk

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon May 07, 2018 9:44 am

Joan, talking of puddings. I don't eat them at all.
But when we went to the Champignon Sauvage, these little sweet tasters kept'a coming. Tony wasn't going to try any, but kept saying can you eat mine please.
Any time it was sweet.

I came away absolutely stuffed full by the end of the meal. They were delicious though, but some were oddly sweet and savoury, a bit different I must confess.

Lushness ..... I suppose that noise level goes up when you eat 2 at a time as a "sandwich".

Postby jeral » Mon May 21, 2018 7:26 pm

Just taken by surprise by a flash thunderstorm here. There was a very loud lengthy thunder clap, lightning a few seconds later, then another loud clap and promptly an avalanche of hailstones 1cm big!

Luckily nothing was on the hob needing watching, so could run round and close windows and, er, mop up the numerous melting hailstones. All good fun and even better if it's downed the pollen 8-)

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox