Register

I love Belly Pork

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

I love Belly Pork

Postby Global_Worming » Sat May 05, 2012 8:38 am

At present Chicharon is my fav. http://www.marketmanila.com/archives/ch ... -and-belly
I make a sort of Banh Mi with it.
Split a quality french stick load it with the hot chicharon top it with a screaming pico de gallo.Serve with twice fried plantain fritters.

New twists on belly pork please.

Re: I love Belly Pork

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat May 05, 2012 11:07 am

I can't give you inspiration for treating belly pork, GW.

But I can give you a recipe for a sauce that goes with pork. It's a german green sauce, called Frankfurter Grüne Soße
Made from 7 soft raw herbs, there's a modern version, which I prefer, or a traditional version.

I grew the traditional herbs one year which include: lovage, borage, lemon balm, sorrel & salad burnet

Modern is: basil, dill, parsley, tarragon, chervil, chives, salad cress, hand chopped with

1 boiled egg
cup creme fraiche
cup mayonnaise
s & p 1 crushed garlic clove (no more)
1/2 lemon juice (no more)
1 heaped teasp dijon mustard

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat May 05, 2012 6:32 pm

I love belly pork.

GW, the piccy on the page you linked to looks quite interesting, so I wondered why I might have skipped past it when I got a Filipino cookbook a few months back. I think this might explain why I didn't bother pursuing it (completely rewritten, but this is basically what the book said - no mention of meaty bits being OK!). I must add that the book has no photos, so no visual reference at all to set the taste buds dribbling:

Chicharon (Pork Crackling)

250g pork rind
300ml water
0.5 tsp salt
100 ml vegetable oil

1. Cut pork rind into 20cm squares.
2. Boil in salted water for 30 minutes.
3. Spread pieces on a baking tray and bake at Gas mk 2 (150C) for 3 hours.
4. When cool, deep fry the pieces until puffed up.

Postby Amazing » Sat May 05, 2012 8:45 pm

Global_Worming wrote:At present Chicharon is my fav. http://www.marketmanila.com/archives/ch ... -and-belly
Split a quality french stick load it with the hot chicharon top it with a screaming pico de gallo.Serve with twice fried plantain fritters.

Global_Worming your post takes me back many years. Probably the early fifties. My mum used to cook belly pork for us. She grilled it and when cooked put meat to the side added two tins baked beans stirred it round until the beans sauce got thick. Served with lots of mashed potatoes. I think the first time we had it, potatoes were in short supply, some kind of famine, and we had the very first instant mash. It was called Pom, we thought it was great until we had to have it all the time for about a year.

Postby Caz » Sat May 05, 2012 9:00 pm

Amazing wrote:
Global_Worming wrote:At present Chicharon is my fav. http://www.marketmanila.com/archives/ch ... -and-belly

Global_Worming your post takes me back many years. Probably the early fifties. My mum used to cook belly pork for us. She grilled it and when cooked put meat to the side added two tins baked beans stirred it round until the beans sauce got thick. Served with lots of mashed potatoes. I think the first time we had it, potatoes were in short supply, some kind of famine, and we had the very first instant mash. It was called Pom, we thought it was great until we had to have it all the time for about a year.

Amazing... my mum did that with strips of belly pork and mash and beans! Now you've made me want it again! Comfort food :lol:

Caz xxx

Postby AZCook » Sat May 05, 2012 10:46 pm

Gill, your Frankfurter Green Sauce is such a classic - glad you reposted it on here. Must do some again soon.

Yummy crackling, Sakk and chiccarones, GW. BTW, pork fat is less worse for you than other animal fat I believe - less saturated and has some omega-3 in it too. :clap

GW - you're on a definite pork roll :D
When it comes to belly pork I have just three words for you - Hong Shao Rou - Chinese Red Cooked Pork

Fuchsia Dunlop's excellent Mao Shi Hong Shao Rou - Chairman Mao’s Red-Cooked Pork Belly
http://www.asiandumplingtips.com/2009/1 ... o-rou.html

Saveur mag's good Hong Shao Rou version from an issue with an article on red-cooked dishes and about 5 red-cooked dish recipes - like all pork belly dishes, I prefer it with a leaner piece of pork belly if poss. This is saucier than Fuchsias.
http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Hong-Shao-Rou-

There was a nice pic in the mag but not online, oh well.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun May 06, 2012 1:37 pm

There is a pic online of Fuchsia's Red Pork, sort of - here's one I made, but I used pork shoulder instead of belly pork, so it is slightly cheatey. But gorgeous nevertheless, just a bit less skin and fat!!!

P.S. If you click the image it opens up full size - just figured out a workaround to do that.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox