Register

Why do breadmakers fail?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM
Les Mains

Why do breadmakers fail?

Postby Les Mains » Sat May 05, 2012 12:49 am

I was quite surprised over the last few days to read here that breadmakers have been failing after only a few years. I would have expected them to carry on for much longer than that, leaving aside accidental damage or mishandling.

So, during the entire baking cycle of my Panasonic this evening I kept an eye on what was going on. I have an Infra Red thermometer -- like a plastic pistol, with a low power laser sight, that measures temperature in the infra red band through a Fresnel lens, much like the clinical ear thermometers used by medics.

What I noticed was that the outside of the unit on the sides and to the rear ran up to 60C+ during the bake while the front area of my almost new Panasonic was around 40C -- about blood temperature. Most commercial electronic components are rated up to about 70C and, of course, some components get warmer than the ambient when working. I looked closely at the moulding around the front and there are air vents around the bottom and to the top, which clearly keep the temperature of the control electronics at an acceptable level.

Is seems plausible that after some years, the vents get clogged with fibre and muck, which would let the temperature of the control electronics rise, which could result in early failure.

I'd suggest that periodically, with the bucket removed, the unit is tipped on its side or top and either a brush or a blast of air e.g. an air line or can of 'air spray'. Maplins and RS Components used to sell these.

It's just a thought...but I cannot see anything else about the units that ought to result in such early failure -- I doubt whether many people use them more than once a day -- we no longer buy commercial bread but we only make one loaf every two or three days.

If anyone has a better idea or can confirm with an older machine that the air holes do get blocked, maybe they can let us know.

NB -- Aside from premature failure, it would be worth cleaning vents all the way round periodically to ensure proper temperature control.

Re: Why do breadmakers fail?

Postby Global_Worming » Sat May 05, 2012 9:06 am

It's the curse of DOL IMO :)

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat May 05, 2012 10:59 am

I think it's most things rotary.
Dough mixers.
Hand-held whisks.
Mini-blitzers.

They seem vulnerable to failure, les mains.

Postby Suelle » Sat May 05, 2012 2:40 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:I think it's most things rotary.
Dough mixers.
Hand-held whisks.
Mini-blitzers.

They seem vulnerable to failure, les mains.

While I agree that the most likely cause of failure for a breadmaker is an underpowered motor which can't cope well with the density of bread dough, I wouldn't put all rotating products in the same basket.

I've only had two hand held electric beaters in 38 years, and the second one is still going well, over 20 years old. My mini blitzer is about 15 years old and still working. The spice grinder and smaller mini-chopper are both approaching 10 years old.
The blog which does what it says on the tin:

http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby eschscholtzia » Sat May 05, 2012 4:31 pm

I've just had a look at my Panasonic which must be 7 or 8 years old and there are vents top and bottom on the right hand side, the bottom of the left hand side, and the bottom at the back with 8 vents at the top right hand corner at the back. I have to admit I'd never noticed them before but will give them a brush now and then in future.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox