Register

Kenwood Prospero KM260

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM
Les Mains

Kenwood Prospero KM260

Postby Les Mains » Fri May 04, 2012 8:34 pm

I've seen in a local independent store a Kenwood Prospero KM260 mixer. It is smaller than the Chef and comes with a processor unit and three blades, a citrus squeezer and an acrylic liquidiser. It will drive a mincer (not included in base pack). Locally the price is £135 against an Amazon price of around £170. The case seems to be made of plastic, the bowl is stainless and the tools I saw seemed fine and fit for purpose. Has anyone any experience of this unit -- I'm especially interested in the performance of the mincer and sausage-making ability of it as that is generally one of the trickiest things on mincers. Since I don't have a large food processor and I don't cook for the whole village, it might be a good choice?

Re: Kenwood Prospero KM260

Postby Oldends » Fri May 04, 2012 9:22 pm

There is one review of the mincer attachment on Amazon...
"This is an excellent item and works really well. However a word of warning. Read the cleaning instructions, not very clearly marked in the booklet, and keep the guides and cutting parts oiled in olive oil or cooking oil and do not allow any water to stay on them. They will rust!"

Postby hungryhousewife » Sun May 06, 2012 12:24 pm

Hi Les Mains
Is it to be stowed away on the boat? The prospero is probably the most compact version of a stand mixer, but if you want a long lasting work horse I would suggest a 2nd hand Kenwood Chef - The casing is made of metal and the motors are strong and go on and on - especially the old ones, from what my service people tell me.
However, they are rather bulky if you are on a boat.
HH

Les Mains

Postby Les Mains » Sun May 06, 2012 10:56 pm

HH -- No, not for the boat, we are ashore now. But I don't want to take up more space than we need. The prospero seems to have a big enough bowl...I am not a fan of processors so don't want to buy one yet the prospero has a processor accessory useful for those things where the processor really does excel...cheaper £134 new, lighter and less space. I had a look on Ebay for 2nd hand Chefs but most of them look so tired...one was said to be almost unused but very old and it looks as though it is! Silly really, it no doubt looked modern in its day. I did notice on Ebay packs of spares for repairing Kenwoods.....worth knowing, folks.

I'd really love to hear from a serious cook who has actually used a prospero. The Amazon and other reviews seem to be of the 'absolutely delighted as it arrived in two days' sort, if you see what I mean?

Postby hungryhousewife » Mon May 07, 2012 12:28 am

Yes, I know what you mean re the 2nd hand Kenwoods - I think that because the world has gone baking mad, all the ones that would have ended up in the charity shops are being sold! The great thing about them is that the attachments all fit each other - not sure about the Prospero. On Amazon they have a Kenwood Chef Classic for £162.00 which seems a good buy.
HH

Les Mains

Postby Les Mains » Mon May 07, 2012 1:19 am

HH -- Thanks, I missed that one at £162. I have Amazon Prime this year so delivery is free. I'll sleep on it....looks very interesting. Maybe wait for a day or so in case someone drops by who has tried the Prospero. The attachments are entirely different between the Prospero and the trad machines. My money is on the Prospero being a badged machine from an entirely different stable.

Postby hungryhousewife » Mon May 07, 2012 9:46 am

That would be my worry too - and if you want to be able to get attachments easily for your machine, I would tend towards the Kenwood Chef.
HH

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox