Register

I don't, I can't, I won't

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: I don't, I can't, I won't

Postby Dena » Thu May 10, 2012 4:56 pm

Bulots :vomit nuff said

Les Mains

Postby Les Mains » Thu May 10, 2012 9:26 pm

Yup, a lot of my friends are frogs and I speak frog which helps. Swiss frog, anyway...holes in it :lol:

Postby hungryhousewife » Thu May 10, 2012 11:38 pm

Melimou - what a horrendous tale! Sounds like something out of Indiana Jones!!

Lushious, I absolutely agree about the frog thing - I named the little frog that lives in our greenhouse Rupert, and told my husband that if he kept using slug pellets he would kill Rupert! Never used them since!!! Hoorah!! We have a garden full of froggies and hedghog, and no holes in the hostas!!
HH

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 11, 2012 10:16 am

I don't eat frogs' legs because i have tried them, and slightly fishy chicken is not a gastronomic treat in my view!

Postby Joanbunting » Fri May 11, 2012 10:40 am

Stokey Sue wrote:I don't eat frogs' legs because i have tried them, and slightly fishy chicken is not a gastronomic treat in my view!

Morning Sue

I never really fancied frogs' legs but when, a few years ago, we stayed in the Bresse area were they are abundant I really enjoyed some as part of a great tasting menu.

I wouldn't eat then unless I knew exactly where they came from because of the horrendous cruelty that was shown to be inflicted in the production of imported frozen legs.

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri May 11, 2012 12:10 pm

I've just remembered American grits - not very fond of them either - can't see the point, it's like eating sawdust!

We have a LOT of frogs in the garden plus a hoard who make the annual February pilgrimage to the pond to do their thing - you can literally time them - how they get there I'll never know - our garden is (high) walled - no holes - & massive trees in front of the walls - yet still they come!

The Lushly puts the spawn in nursery pools to give them a chance & they eventually make their way out when they're about the size of a small fingernail - fully formed & perfect in every detail, with little personalities of their own.

I find it very upsetting that so many people have such a cavalier attitude to them.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 11, 2012 1:28 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:I find it very upsetting that so many people have such a cavalier attitude to them.

I don't see that eating them is "having a cavalier attitude" unless one condones cruelty in the production of the legs (which neither Joan nor I do).

Lambs are much cuter than frogs in my view, but I still eat them. And I have looked after chooks, but I still eat them

I used to rear frogspawn as a child myself, but it was the element of pond scum rather than affection that put me off a bit.

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri May 11, 2012 1:55 pm

Woah there Sue...........step off your horse for a minute - I wasn't pointing fingers at any contributors to this thread but attitudes in general - they are regarded by many as bottom of the food chain & subjected to cruelty for cruelty's sake by many, regardless if they are being consummed or not as I'm sure you are aware.

Postby Joanbunting » Fri May 11, 2012 2:32 pm

It is true is it not that almost any animal used for food can be an ethical issue? That is why, I hope, many people take careful notice of the sources of their food and the production methods.

Great for those of us who have the knowledge and the means. Not so good for the people who haven't or the animals they consume.

Les Mains

Postby Les Mains » Fri May 11, 2012 2:44 pm

Joanbunting wrote:Great for those of us who have the knowledge and the means. Not so good for the people who haven't or the animals they consume.
Does any one of us have that knowledge?

I see that the supermarkets are now selling smoked salmon that has been 'responsibly fished' under the watchful eye of the RSPCA (I thought that the 'A' was for 'Animal' not fish?). How does one 'fish' a farmed fish 'responsibly'? Does one sedate it first? And the 'C' stands for 'Cruelty'. Is it cruel to leave a large fish to thrash around with no air (i.e. suffocating) until death? I'm not sure that anyone has the knowledge...though intuitively my bet is that they are not happy fish and they certainly appear to be in considerable discomfort.

I suggest that this is all a ruse to take your money and mine. The supermarkets tell us that unless we buy food that is obtained 'responsibly' - a notion as absurd as Mr Cameron's 'doing the right thing' - we are bad human beings. So supermarkets charge a premium for weasel-words like Fairtrade (whose CEO said recently only served to improve the wealth of Fairtrade and the retailers, not the farmers) and RSPCA taken out of their sphere of competence and remit.

Whether or not others are prepared to play along with their scams is up to them...I don't.

Postby Global_Worming » Fri May 11, 2012 5:49 pm

Lemmy when I last live in London (primrose hill) we had a local Portuguese food shop that sold very good pastel de nata. They had a big wicker basket full of fresh very expensive organic farm eggs.The pick your own eggs had all the signs of being genuine straw, feather fluff and poo stuck to them.
Yes you guessed it, Trading standards busted him after two years of illegals sales when a cockatoo owning customer recognised a feather stuck to an egg.
The owner bought the cheapest eggs from his local C and C then got creative with the content of his cockatoo cage.His comment was "two yrs and this is the first complaint" was quite funny and revealing.
Do you remember the rotten chicken meat sold for dog food that was bleached and ended up in a number of supermarket pies.

Ps I ate kentucky style frogs legs in New Orleans they were very nice.

Postby BelgianEndive » Fri May 11, 2012 6:55 pm

We were just walking along the Seine and I was feeding the ducks and the swans. It doesn't keep me from eating ducks, and of course I don't eat swans, although I think a few centuries ago they used to serve swans. :shock:

And about once a year I do eat frogs legs cooked in a good Riesling, but I certainly respect those who don't want to eat them for whatever reason. Suckling pigs are adorable, and as Sue said the small lambs are so cute you could hug them, yet most of us love to eat lamb and piglets.

GW I love the egg story! :clap

Les Mains

Postby Les Mains » Fri May 11, 2012 10:20 pm

GW -- I can well believe the egg mis-selling. Lots of it goes on round me...how can half a dozen birds from the neighbour's garden produce a couple of dozen eggs every weekend ++ ?

BelgianE -- Swan is on the menu in the UK. It is served at state banquets and also every year at the swan-upping ceremony on the Thames. I've seen it on the table at swan-upping but not been invited to taste it.

Postby BelgianEndive » Fri May 11, 2012 10:58 pm

les mains wrote:BelgianE -- Swan is on the menu in the UK. It is served at state banquets and also every year at the swan-upping ceremony on the Thames. I've seen it on the table at swan-upping but not been invited to taste it.

Ya right, you can buy it here "les mains", at a price :shock: :

http://brentwoodtradinggroup.com/swmeandswmer.html

I am firmly convinced that the swans belonged at banquets at the court of Henry VIII. ;)

Postby spotteddick » Sat May 12, 2012 7:36 am

I honestly don't think there isn't anything (edible) I wouldn't try. I was for many years out in the far East, Africa and the Pacific rim and well it is sometimes better not to ask isn't it :shock:
Snake, monkey's brains, dog, hens feet, testicles, rotten walrus, seal blubber and liver, Pi-dan (100 year eggs).
Back here in europe, I love tripe, andoulette, boulots (welks), winkles, snails, all manner of internal organs.
I have a Swedish friend who is a member of our cookery club, he brought us a real deletable dish as a starter (for some it was the finisher) "Surströmming" putrified fish :lol:
But Insects form part of the diet of quite a few Indigenous peoples of the world and witchiti grubs are very nice eaten cooked in the embers of a camp fire, but failing the fire, raw are also very nice. I always say never knock it until you've tried it, you may never want to try it again, but on the other hand you may aquire a taste for it. Now where did I bury that oxheart last year :D

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox