Register

I don't, I can't, I won't

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: I don't, I can't, I won't

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 04, 2012 7:06 pm

I was given bulots (whelks) in a restaurant in Paris some years ago - just two as an amuse bouche

I thought I might as well try them - they were delicious, they had been poached in white wien and herbs and were almost as tender as scallops (similar texture, a bit firmer)

I ate them both & two more promptly appeared - apparently I was the first Brit who would even taste them!

But we'd all taste them if they wee usually that good.

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri May 04, 2012 7:11 pm

Tender bulots - now there's two words you don't usually find in the same sentence............. :D !!

Postby BelgianEndive » Fri May 04, 2012 7:13 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I was given bulots (whelks) in a restaurant in Paris some years ago - just two as an amuse bouche

I thought I might as well try them - they were delicious, they had been poached in white wien and herbs and were almost as tender as scallops (similar texture, a bit firmer)

Unusual to get bulots as amuse bouche and I'm glad they were good. I love the small bigornaux that you get sometimes, accompanied by a cork with pins in it to tease out the little animals. They're usually nice and spicy.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun May 06, 2012 1:44 pm

Oh this is such a good thread! :D

It's also lovely to see some of the BBC gang here as well.

My main dislikes are coconut, coriander, unprocessed offal (but I will eat pate, black pudding and the like), celery, ginger, lemongrass, white grapefruit, liquorice, most 'mollusc' shellfish.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun May 06, 2012 3:00 pm

Bulots ... yep - if ever there were a word that sounds like what it is.

I am drifted back to that restaurant in Chinon, that told me the special was a fish platter, so I went for it.
Had they been 2 tender scallop like creatures I'd have been happy, Sue.

But I got an agonizing bowlful of 30 - 40 plain steamed sea snails with absolutely not help. No garlic, no mayonnaise, just nasty big lumps of chew.

SABENA.

Postby BelgianEndive » Sun May 06, 2012 4:37 pm

That does sound gruesome Gill! Yuck!

Do you mean by SABENA what I know about it? :D It was an airline but the other meaning was "such a b..... experience never again".

Postby Joanbunting » Sun May 06, 2012 4:48 pm

BelgianEndive wrote:That does sound gruesome Gill! Yuck!

Do you mean by SABENA what I know about it? :D It was an airline but the other meaning was "such a b..... experience never again".

Equally awful if I remember correctly!

I have always enjoyed whelks -bulots - but then I am a little strange. i can't do them raw though :vomit, as I was once required so to do in Britanny.

Postby hungryhousewife » Sun May 06, 2012 9:22 pm

The only time I've ever had Whelks was in a pub in Somerset - we were given a plate of about 10 each, and we just couldn't swallow them. They were obviously not cooked as brilliantly as they should have been - they were quite a disgusting texture - so chewy and so large - can't really remember much flavour, except that I was grateful for some garlic butter and bread that came with them! YUK in my opinion!!
HH

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon May 07, 2012 8:42 am

Exactly HH.

Yes, Belgian Endive - it's after the airline - such a bad experience never again.

Les Mains

Postby Les Mains » Mon May 07, 2012 8:55 am

We had lunch with a relative yesterday who'd been trained as a chef and worked as a chef in a reasonable silver-service restaurant in London. He is also an excellent home cook, of course. In his opinion you can (should) eat every part of a pig...'snout to tail' to include lights, testicles (if present), eyes,... I'll pass if he ever offers me home made sausages though to be fair when I chatted yesterday about home sausage making his view was that it's best to find a decent butcher. Dream-on where I am...they all know what they are doing and their Prime Directive is to make money.

By the way, besides being a VERY keen home cook now, there is no way he'd want to work in a restaurant again. GW?

Postby Puss-in-boots » Mon May 07, 2012 11:19 am

It has to be cauli and black pudding :vomit (but not together)

Bulots sound disgusting, not that i have ever tried them, can`t stand raw herring pickled or otherwise, OH loves it raw though...

Spare ribs, stuffing (paxo) is a definite no no it smells like bird seed to me yuck...oysters make me throw it straight back as soon as it hits my thoat :vomit Love this throwing up smiley.

Elisa i have ressurected your cooking under wraps thread and asked Sakkkarin to link it for you is that ok? :D

Postby Joanbunting » Mon May 07, 2012 11:28 am

Morning P-I-B

I used to hate raw/pickled herring until our Danish friend served them to us with icy-cold shnapps. I can now enjoy them. Actually I think it is probably the anaesthetic effect of the schnapps :D but it sure works.

Postby Puss-in-boots » Mon May 07, 2012 11:36 am

Morning Joan

I tried them when we were in Holland and really struggled to swallow it, i did eventually but OH had to finish mine, perhaps schnapps is the way to go and will give it another try in the foreseeable but with the schnapps first. :lol:

Postby BelgianEndive » Mon May 07, 2012 11:40 am

Puss-in-boots02 wrote:
Elisa i have ressurected your cooking under wraps thread and asked Sakkkarin to link it for you is that ok? :D

Thank you Puss! I sometimes go looking for slideshows on there as in the case of the red fruits thread.

BTW I adore maatjes when they are just in season. I stop eating them when they get "older" OH who is French enjoys them too. Of course Steve would love those, all that time spent in Holland. ;)

Postby Puss-in-boots » Mon May 07, 2012 12:01 pm

Of course Steve would love those, all that time spent in Holland

I know what you mean Elisa, his mother still mentions it to this day and always says "him and his raw herring"... :vomit :lol: I really liked the Kibberling (sp). I saw the berry thread and the recipe you pasted with the Brik sheets and it sounds delish.

Postby mellymou » Thu May 10, 2012 2:31 pm

While living in Corfu we were the guests of honour at our Greek neighbours' Easter celebration where a whole lamb had been roasting on a spit since 6.00 am that morning, sending out the most delicious smell. When it came to eating, the lamb was placed on a large table and cut into huge chunks with a cleaver. After that the head was halved with the cleaver and OH and I were given a spoon so we could eat the brains. I thought I was going to die! The soupy, mushroomy consistency saw me heading back to our house post haste to "answer a call from England" i.e. throw up! Never, ever again - but the testicles were quite nice!

Postby kari49 » Thu May 10, 2012 2:38 pm

i have a massive aversion to milky puddings, at work i have to make semolina and rice pudding and i can just to say cope with it, when steve was poorly milky puddings were one of the only things he could eat so i had to give him sago and tapioca then it was :vomit (that was me btw) never looked at since! :) karen

Postby Joanbunting » Thu May 10, 2012 2:54 pm

Last night we had one of our "Don't, can't, won't " meals. ie I had kidneys and M had andouilettes - both grilled, (the meat not us!) and served with mustard cream sauce and a potato gratin. Both found it delicious - great compromise.

Even though I really like tripe I dislike andouilettes, though I could eat a little if I had to.

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu May 10, 2012 4:13 pm

How could I forget.......I WON'T eat frogs legs on principle...........a lot of friends out in the garden are frogs....

Postby Joanbunting » Thu May 10, 2012 4:41 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:How could I forget.......I WON'T eat frogs legs on principle...........a lot of friends out in the garden are frogs....

So are ours :lol: :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox