Register

I don't, I can't, I won't

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: I don't, I can't, I won't

Postby Mrs Vee » Thu May 03, 2012 10:13 am

ordinarygull wrote:Mrs Vee
My comment about children is slightly tongue in cheek - I have a 13 year old who is a nightmare about eating veg - broad beans , peas, green beans and asparagus are about all he will eat. I don't think he can possibly dislike every single vegetable - however, I don't force him to eat things he says he doesn't like, I just serve up the ones he will eat, and expect him to at least try a bit of new things.
I just find it frustrating and a bit ironic as someone who cooks from scratch and eats most things that I ended up with a fussy one.
Ah well, he's not got scurvy (yet)
Stick with it - it does get better. Your 13 year-old is doing really well by my son's standards; when he was that age I don't think he even looked at anything resembling a green veg unless it was the lettuce in a Big Mac! I always put a bit of everything on his plate, he completely ignored the veg and just ate the meat and potatoes! Grrrr!

He's now a strapping 6-footer, with a child of his own, and eats almost anything, although he still looks a bit suspiciously at carrots and cauliflower! :lol:

Postby Joanbunting » Thu May 03, 2012 10:28 am

Morning.

I don't know if it is simply a coincidence but for many years we holidayed with close friends - here in Provence.

M and our female friend had birthdays withing 2 days of each other in Feb. Her husband and I ditto but in August.

He and I loved all the things M and his wife hated - tripe, anchovies,oysters, kidneys and sweet chestnut puree. The other pair liked the things we disliked - coconut, rare/raw beef, squeaky beans, marzipan.

When we ate out we had Leo and Aquarius dinners when we all enjoyed the foods we liked but didn't usually make or buy because our other halves didn't like them.

Postby Caz » Thu May 03, 2012 12:10 pm

This got me thinking. When I was a youngster I used to eat raw tripe with malt vinegar... the thought of it now makes me gag and yet I can't remember suddenly 'not liking' it!

Porridge does the same, I think it's the smell as much as anything, I have to leave the room if my other half makes some.

I don't 'do' things like snails or whelks.

I love sardines, as long as I have some nice bread with it to 'hide' the tiny, feathery bones. I was almost put off them in Portimao, Portugal when we had a plate of grilled sardines at a fishermans shack at the harbour and they hadn't been gutted... :o

Caz xxx

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu May 03, 2012 12:31 pm

Tatihou, your wish is my command...

:vomit

Postby Lou » Thu May 03, 2012 12:33 pm

cooksalot wrote:I can't abide goat's cheese. My parents kept goats (including a billy) when I was a child. When I smell goats cheese I can smell the goats' shed, and old Amos, the billy goat!

Oh cooksalot. My mum says goats cheese tastes like goats smell. I kind of agree with that, though I can eat it.

those parmaviolet(?) sweets are a bit like that, they taste how I imagine perfume to taste. Horrible!

Postby Global_Worming » Thu May 03, 2012 3:56 pm

Fantastic Sakkers :vomit :thumbsup :o

Postby ShotleyGirl » Thu May 03, 2012 5:29 pm

ooo sakkarin, that is so realistic :clap - I love all the new ones you've put on :thumbsup :stfu :wave :yawn

I don't like parma violets either, I agree with Lou that that's how I imagine perfume too :|

I will eat most things, but I am very fussy over fish - if it is 'fishy' I won't eat it - I hate shell fish too - poor Louis the only time he gets to eat shell fish or 'fishy' fish is when we go out :lol:

Postby BelgianEndive » Thu May 03, 2012 7:38 pm

Oh there are a few things I won't, can't and don't!

Am with Tatihou on the sprouts. And I don't eat garlic, because I am allergic to it. I will however use a garlic clove unpeeled on the side of a leg of lamb just for a slight flavouring.

Cannot ever, ever drink milk and don't use it as an ingredient either :mrgreen: Am fine with coconut milk for thai curry and strangely I can eat cheese, and use cream.

I'm in my element when eating raw fish or raw beef. Veal and pork (I use Iberico pork) gets cooked pink and roast beef is really rare. Lamb is cooked medium rare. No problem with most vegetables. Not keen on peppers though and I got reconciled with okra in India.

One thing occurred a while ago and I'm still in shock about it. When i buy skate wings in Brussels they are always skinned and I prepare them in the pan with butter and capers. While in Paris we went to our fishmonger which is really an excellent place and OH said he would like a nice skate wing. So I asked for two wings. Oddly (for me) they were not skinned, but I didn't think it would be a problem and we took them home. I took them out of the paper to prepare and the skin was like sweating, real slimy. I freaked out. Prepared them poached in a court bouillon anyway after rinsing and had melted brown butter with capers. They tasted delicious but I was so disgusted by touching that skin that I refuse to prepare them anymore. :shock:

Not keen on tripe or andouillette! But I love calf's liver (grilled for me and pink, none of that wine stuff or onions to smother it :thumbsdown ), sweetbreads with cream and cepes or morels. When in a brasserie in town OH who loves andouillette will order it.

Postby Joanbunting » Thu May 03, 2012 8:44 pm

"Not keen on tripe or andouillette! But I love calf's liver (grilled for me and pink, none of that wine stuff or onions to smother it :thumbsdown ), sweetbreads with cream and cepes or morels. When in a brasserie in town OH who loves andouillette will order it."

I can promise you that the onions etc did not smother the liver - just a tiny bit to enhanc about eehttp://www.carta.co.uk/foodforum/post ... f=8&t=140#.

We both adore sweetbreads and i cook them whenever i can get my hands on them.

Postby Joanbunting » Thu May 03, 2012 8:46 pm

Oh dear, what happened :?: Sorry :|

Postby BelgianEndive » Thu May 03, 2012 11:24 pm

Joanbunting wrote:
I can promise you that the onions etc did not smother the liver - just a tiny bit to enhanc about eehttp://www.carta.co.uk/foodforum/post ... f=8&t=140#.

We both adore sweetbreads and i cook them whenever i can get my hands on them.

I don't doubt it Joan, it is just me and OH, we both love it grilled, no sauce but with a nice green salad or a vegetable puree.

Postby Rocky » Fri May 04, 2012 12:16 pm

I find shitake mushrooms so unpleasant that I had to move tables in a restaurant once because the person on the next table was eating them.

I think that is the only things I simply can't eat. I am also not a milk fan so avoid it and baby sweetcorn is just wrong!

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri May 04, 2012 5:33 pm

I'm really struggling to think of food I really won't eat.......!

Snails - I've killed too many in the garden to make me want to put them in my mouth........

Okra...pah!

Andouilette..... :vomit .......yummy!

I didn't used to like black pudding but The Lushly educated me on it's finer merits years ago....

Semolina pud at school dinners - tadpoles we called them ......jeez - haven't thought about that for a century or two........!

Really struggling.........

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri May 04, 2012 5:58 pm

How could I have forgotten bulots.......bleurgh......!

Postby BelgianEndive » Fri May 04, 2012 6:14 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:How could I have forgotten bulots.......bleurgh......!

Bulots are similar to flavoured rubber imho Lush! :D

I'm not overly keen on black pudding either, but I do eat it, although I prefer the white pudding. I've managed to introduce white pudding in the Frenchman's repertoire of "likes" by making the brick purses with white pudding and caramelized apples.

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri May 04, 2012 6:26 pm

Sounds like a cunning plan Elisa......! :thumbsup

Amazing what a good bit of disguise can do - I usually have to do that with certain greens ...sigh!! ( yes we are talking adult!)

Those brick purses of yours sound good!
I should prob. post on the porky thread - but pork fillet stuffed with blk pudding or morcilla & apple puree .....is mmmmm!

Glad to see you're still cooking under wraps....!! :D !!!

Postby BelgianEndive » Fri May 04, 2012 6:38 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:
Glad to see you're still cooking under wraps....!! :D !!!

:D yep, still up to my old tricks, Lush. It is such fun after all!

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri May 04, 2012 6:42 pm

We should probably resurrect that thread Elisa.........I'm pretty sure we've lots more to add now.......!

Postby BelgianEndive » Fri May 04, 2012 6:42 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:
I usually have to do that with certain greens ...sigh!! ( yes we are talking adult!)

We've each got a minor in the house then! Did you know potatoes are considered as a vegetable? I never knew that! :shock:

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri May 04, 2012 6:51 pm

You say potatoes - I say vegetables......!!

You can see where the idea for that came from!

Mothers have a lot to answer for - that's all I'm saying..........................

For now.......!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox