Register

I don't, I can't, I won't

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: I don't, I can't, I won't

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed May 02, 2012 4:33 pm

Rabbit

Another thing I won't eat

No problem with the appearance, it is the combination of flavour & texture I can't stand

I can just about manage wild rabbit to be polite, but I'd rather not

But tame rabbit is simply not edible as far as I am concerned

And then someone always, always, says "But you eat chicken". As chicken has a rather different texture and completely different flavour, I am not sure what the significance of this conventional remark is meant to be? it is the oddly sweet aftertaste I can't cope with, almost like artificial sweetener, disgusting, especially combined with the cotton wool texture.

Postby hungryhousewife » Wed May 02, 2012 4:59 pm

Just flying past the computer, on my way out! Couldn't resist replying to this one!

The things I have tried so far, that I know I really don't like are:

Tripe, stewed lambs hearts (parents decided to be adventurous and 'treated' us to some after we had driven for 3 hours to visit them at Easter!! The children just looked at me in horror! Hmmm! Maybe they were making a hint!!), over cooked fish, over cooked vegetables, fatty gravy - infact any wobbly fatty bits - UUGGGH! Oh - I hate 'flabby' bacon and plastic ham too!

I'm not very keen on chocolate or sweet things, but that's just being fussy!
HH

Postby Joanbunting » Wed May 02, 2012 5:00 pm

Mrs Vee wrote " Mrs Vee. Macaroni cheese (and pizza) are officially counted as vegetables in the USA (well the school meals "service" in Virginia anyway!)

Good grief - I know vegetables come in all shapes and sizes, but how on earth are Macaroni Cheese and Pizza classed as a vegetable? "

Don't ask me, but I saw it with my own eyes when we were invited to the grandparents' lunch at GS's school. I was going to photograph the menu board which encoursged the "diners" to eat more veg, (fries where also included) but decided it would not be diplomatic! The nearest thing I saw to real veg was coleslaw and mashed potato with gravy. Fortunately and understandably his Mum provided a healthy packed lunch - for all of us!

You should have seen the pudgy kids( and more than one teacher) in what is otherwise an excellent school.

Postby denada » Wed May 02, 2012 5:31 pm

Joan, I don't think the Americans class them as vegetables, just as vegetarian option.
Eggs are my loathing, or more accurately, egg whites. I've never been able to eat them, a texture thing I think. My daughter is the opposite, likes the white but hates the yolk, so we used to share a fried egg.

Postby Joanbunting » Wed May 02, 2012 5:42 pm

Hi Deneda

I promise that on the school menu board they were classified as vegetables! I do wish I had taken that photo! GD taunts her mother that macaroni cheese (which she loves) will do instead of carrots and broccoli "Because they told us at school"

M's sister and brother are exactly the same re eggs!!

I haven't been able to eat a soft-boiled egg since our son was a baby(40+ years ago) he was so digusting with them - refused to be fed from as soon as he could hold a spoon

Les Mains

Postby Les Mains » Wed May 02, 2012 5:42 pm

denada wrote:My daughter is the opposite, likes the white but hates the yolk, so we used to share a fried egg.
We've had that in my family --- though the weirdest I can think of is my eldest daughter who, when I took her to a circus at Wembly when she was around five, wanted her hot dog ------ without the dog! i.e. no frankfurter. So I had two franks and she had two bridge rolls :lol:

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed May 02, 2012 7:02 pm

Jelly.

Have loathed it since childhood - even though my parents believed saying "it's Gilly jelly" made a difference.

As a result I cannot stand gel, or things like the pork crackling or chicken skin on a joint.
Pork pies - no thanks.

Jam's fine, but that's not got the gummy texture when it's spread on toast.

Postby MagicMarmite » Wed May 02, 2012 8:27 pm

I can report back that I like okra, at least I like it pickled.
I used this recipe (just the pickled okra)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chicken_and_okra_curry_87432
Daughter said it was OK, but made a bit of a face!
I'd like to try it deep fried next.
I adore deep fried food.
My jeans do not.

Re: Tarragon

Postby Frillz » Wed May 02, 2012 9:04 pm

Tarragon

Cross threading from the one about food with health benefits I posted that I heard on TV this week that Tarragon is good for toothache and gum problems - so I imagine there's something in it that numbs your mouth?
Longtime lapsed BBC Food Board contributer

Postby ordinarygull » Wed May 02, 2012 9:09 pm

I am so enjoying this thread, it's so interesting to see things that I love being hated by others, and thingsI hate being loved by others!!
Still not tolerant of children who don't eat green things though, makes me very cross :evil:

Postby Mrs Vee » Wed May 02, 2012 9:55 pm

ordinarygull wrote:Still not tolerant of children who don't eat green things though, makes me very cross :evil:

We all have our likes and dislikes; shouldn't children be allowed to do the same?

Postby Tatihou » Wed May 02, 2012 10:15 pm

Children often "don't like something" because either because it's unfamiliar or they've heard someone else say they don't like it. Anyone should be allowed their likes and dislikes but I think kids should be encouraged to overcome blanket (no green veg) dislikes.

I forgot several things earlier that I can't / won't eat or drink:

Whisky (for the reasons most people can't stand a certain drink or smell of a drink :mrgreen: )

Anything in aspic - the pork pie reference in Gill's post made me remember that - and I agree that pork pie is horrible.

Rabbit and hare - both make wonderful casseroles but can't eat hare ever since I raised a leveret from 48 hours old / 100g to a young adult with a release weight of 1.2 kg. A magical animal and now off my menu. Then two years ago I accidentally acquired a domesticated rabbit and her half-wild offspring. I dearly love this little rabbit and because dressed rabbits at the market are quite recognisable as this little muppet who nudges me for treats, I can't imagine looking at a joint of rabbit on my plate with any enthusiasm any more.

Fortunately, I can still look at Eddie the Freezer Lamb as he charges around the fields and appreciate his muscular hind legs. Which may sound a little strange... :lol:

Postby Renée » Wed May 02, 2012 10:35 pm

Black puddings
Tripe, although I've never tried it.
Heart
Black peas in vinegar, which are a northern delicacy on bonfire night. :shock:
Milk, on its own.

Joan, I love the Norwegian Gjetost cheese. I first tried it at a Norwegian restaurant at Epcot in Florida, then was pleased to discover it on Rochdale market, of all places.

Postby cooksalot » Wed May 02, 2012 10:55 pm

I can't abide goat's cheese. My parents kept goats (including a billy) when I was a child. When I smell goats cheese I can smell the goats' shed, and old Amos, the billy goat!

Les Mains

Postby Les Mains » Wed May 02, 2012 11:06 pm

Mrs Vee wrote:We all have our likes and dislikes; shouldn't children be allowed to do the same?
My mother always said that olives are an acquired taste. We children were introduced to them quite late...in our later teens, and we didn't like them. Out of three children I was the only one who acquired the taste for them. I'm certainly glad to enjoy olives today. They are nice, healthy and sociable.

Postby denada » Wed May 02, 2012 11:16 pm

The more I read this thread the more I realise how much I don't like. I eat sweet jelly,no problem,but savory in pork pies or aspic makes me gag. Milk is another one, and has been for as long as I can remember. I only had to throw up twice over my teacher's feet for her to believe I really couldn't drink my school milk.
Oysters I've tried a few times but can't like them.....much to OH's delight when he "forgets" and orders a dozen.

chicken_hot_pot

Postby chicken_hot_pot » Wed May 02, 2012 11:38 pm

Andouilettes, I like them.
Tarragon I loath.

When I was a youngster I hated marmalade, but now love it. About the only other thing I wouldn't eat was veal. But that was in the days when it was definitely a white meat. I remember my mother serving it up for dinner one evening and I asked what it was. She said veal and explained that it was baby cow, just so I understood (still being quite young). I looked at the piece of white meat on my plate and asked why it wasn't red if it was beef. she told be how they used to procure veal in those days. I pushed my plate into the middle of our rather large dining room table and said I wouldn't eat it. :lol: A sin in itself in our house. :o

I have since eaten it and love it as long as it's pink.

Oddly I loved my school lunches and never once was kept in late for not finishing anything.

Just remembered the no no that continues today. Tinned tomatoes on toast. Bread & butter pudding (we need a sprout smiley here). I hate soggy bread. Will however eat Queen of puddings - I know don't ask. :lol: :?

Postby Global_Worming » Thu May 03, 2012 9:36 am

When I lived in Jamaica a girlfriend mother used to make a soup out of sheep and goats heads.The first time I visited I had the munchies and scoffed the lots. I visited "straight" the next time, the smell was evil and it looked evil and it tasted evil. Never again I chucked up all the mango tree outside toilet.This damaged me as I can only eat alphonso mangoes when sober.

Postby ordinarygull » Thu May 03, 2012 9:44 am

Mrs Vee
My comment about children is slightly tongue in cheek - I have a 13 year old who is a nightmare about eating veg - broad beans , peas, green beans and asparagus are about all he will eat. I don't think he can possibly dislike every single vegetable - however, I don't force him to eat things he says he doesn't like, I just serve up the ones he will eat, and expect him to at least try a bit of new things.
I just find it frustrating and a bit ironic as someone who cooks from scratch and eats most things that I ended up with a fussy one.
Ah well, he's not got scurvy (yet)

Les Mains

Postby Les Mains » Thu May 03, 2012 9:54 am

ordinarygull -- some nice photography on your blog....adds greatly to the content. Thanks

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox