Register

National egg week

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: National egg week

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:47 pm

Hi Sakkarin

Try a small amount of arrowroot in the custard - it make all the difference.

My mum used to call Floating Islands "Those custardy things with sweet bu***r all on top"

Postby Renée » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:53 pm

Lou, the fondue with the ostrich eggs sounds such a fun idea for a party! Mind you, they do take about an hour and a half to cook, but am not sure if that would be soft boiled or hard boiled! There are ostrich farms in the north west, so the eggs should be easy to get hold of.

You'll let me know, won't you?

KK's egg curry looks wonderful and I would like the addition of some fried onions.

It's many years since I made a quiche. I did make them similar to Joan's recipe, but sometimes added some finely grated cheese to the pastry, which made it nice and crispy. It's not traditional, I know, but was just an experiment!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:57 pm

I'd run out of sweet b***er all to top it with :-(

Postby Wokman » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:27 pm

Well here's my contribution for you Sakkarin, not so much curried eggs but a delicious Indonesian dish that can also be served as part of a rijsttafel.

Sambal Goreng Telor.

4 hard boiled eggs
1 onion
1 clove of garlic
1 teaspoon of sambal oelek or more if you like it hot
1 teaspoon of trassi (shrimp paste)
1 teaspoon of laos (galangal) or substitute with ginger
1 teaspoon of brown sugar
2 teaspoons of tomato purée
2 tablespoons of oil
¼ of a block of santen (rasped coconut in a block)
1 daon salam leaf (Indonesian laurier leaf)
1 teaspoon of lemon juice
salt to taste.

Finely chop the onion and peel the garlic and remove the hard boiled eggs from their shells. Lightly cut some slits into the eggs as this will help them take on more flavour when they are added to the sauce later. Mix the onion, garlic, sambal, trassi, laos, sugar and tomato purée together in a pestle and mortar to a fine paste.
Heat the oil in a pan or wok and stir in the mixture for about 3 mins. then add 1½ dl. of boiling water together with the santen, the daon salam, the lemon juice and add salt to taste. Keep stirring until the santen has dissolved.
Then add the eggs and let everything cook on a low heat for about 10 mins. after which you can remove the eggs and cut them in half, arrange on a plate and pour over the sauce. Discard the bay leaf and serve.

An old Indonesian woman who lived next door to me used to make these and they were delicious. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

Postby Dena » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:52 pm

Hi Wokman, I like the sound of that (and love recipes that will use up some of my shrimp paste)

"¼ of a block of santen (rasped coconut in a block)" Is that the same as creamed coconut in a block or is it already rasped/grated?
And is there a substitute for a daon salam leaf please?

Postby Wokman » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:27 pm

Hi Dena,

it is roughly the same as creamed coconut in a block, I should have made that more clear. You can substitute the daon salam leaf for curry leaves or maybe even an ordinary bay leaf, but the flavour will not be the same of course.
I used to buy my daon salam from an Indonesian shop in Holland, so I expect they will be available online.

Postby Dena » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:28 pm

No you were perfectly clear, it is my lack of knowledge of Indonesian ingredients. Though saying that I do have an Indonesian recipe book, it is "Indonesian cookery" - David Scott with Surya Winata. I have hardly used it, but looking through it now I really must try some of them.

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:30 am

Wokman:
Lovely recipe - I shall save it !
About 4-5 months ago I was asked to make a Rijsttafel for a friend, and made something similar to your recipe, but using quail eggs instead of regular ones!

Postby Global_Worming » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:46 am

Boiled eggs and soldiers are hard to beat.

Postby Wokman » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:51 am

Hi Dena,

I can't say I have heard of David Scott or Surya Winata, but Indonesian food is well worth the effort of making.

KK, glad you like the recipe, all I have to do now is wait for Sakkarin to make it and post a picture of it on here so that I can nick the photo for my blog :D

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:07 pm

Well I have a bar of coconut cream EDIT - SORRY, "CREAMED COCONUT", NOT COCONUT CREAM... (but that is sort of oily - not sure it fits the brief...), a fresh coconut which I could grate, or countless tins of coconut milk, which should I use to simulate "rasped sentan"? Googling it comes up with loads of different things, most either bags of grated coconut or bars of something or other. What about a 50/50 mix of grated coconut and the bar of creamed cocnut?

Postby Dena » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:14 pm

I was hoping you had heard of them Wokman, never mind, the recipes do seem to be quite authentic.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Indonesian-Cook ... =1-1-fkmr1
It doesn't seem to be in print any more :(

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:12 pm

Well that was tasty! And as I said in a previous post, I didn't feel the need to supplement it with something meaty afterwards, so it meets my "meatarian veggie" seal of approval. All the ingredients worked well together, slightly sweet and sour, although more towards the sweet end, it reminds me of something I can't place. Some of the other recipes I've seen include a bit of tamarind, which I think I would go for to give it a slightly sharper edge. Sometimes shrimp paste can be overpowering, here it added just the right note of savouriness, while the galangal (as opposed to ginger) gave it a fragrant background flavour.

I had to use curry leaves, which I love anyway - last time I bought them, all the leaves in the pack were really weeny, however this time, there were some really huge leaves, literally the size of bay leaves, so I used just one of them - and some weeny ones for the garnish. I used the creamed coconut bar in the end.

Also it seemed a little raw after 10 minutes, I gave it a few minutes more - and an extra minute at the frying stage.

These days Asda stocks galangal as part of their "Thai Curry Herbs" kit. I had a look at them while I was getting the curry leaves, and I have to say that the galangal I used from Loon Fung, which has been languishing in my fridge for at least a month, was in better nick than the Asda galangal!

Postby Puss-in-boots » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:32 pm

These recipes/pictures look yummy. Your latest creation Sakks looks lovely, must get the wok onto it. :thumbsup

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:35 pm

Out of curiosity I had a look to see when National Egg Week ends, and it seems it was from 1st to 7th October... I will cheat and regard it as National Egg MONTH.

Postby Wokman » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:40 pm

Sakkarin, I have to say that the photo looks better than the ones I have made in the past, you certainly did that recipe proud.
I will of course post that picture on my blog (with your permission) as the presentation looks perfect. I wonder what happened to the other 3 pieces of egg :D

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:18 pm

Help yourself to the pic! The other three pieces of egg are in eggsactly the same place as those five pieces of egg are now....

Postby Wokman » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:21 pm

Thanks Sakkarin,

I'm glad you enjoyed it and I have to agree about making it national egg MONTH. :thumbsup

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:05 pm

Eggcellent photo, Sakkarin, and eggcellent recipe Wokman.

Egg Week? Egg Month? Egg Year?

Eggxactly - an egg is good any time.!

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:42 pm

I'd never eaten a Vindaloo before this weekend. The thought of consuming something designed to sear the esophagus had never much appealed to me.
However, I found an authentic recipe in Camellia Panjabi's "50 Best Curries" book and decided to go for it, using less chile of course. Instead of lamb, I used prawns and eggs.
Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful thick brown sauce with an exotic, spicy flavour. Highly recommended!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox