Register

Board Speed

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM
Site Admin

Board Speed

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:06 pm

Sorry about the glitch just now, I'm trying to adjust the speed of the board, as my end it is like wading through glue. The setting I just tested switched the board off for a couple of minutes :-( Is anyone else having problems with the speed?

P.S: I have a proper commercial webspace account which is supposed to give me unlimited bandwidth, so it should not be an issue with that.

Re: Board Speed

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:12 pm

Hi Sakkarin

Yes it is slow but then we have such **** broadband here I had hardly noticed!!

Just want to say thank you yet again for your efforts . I notice the BEEB board is already shut down. Onwards and upwards eh?

Postby kavey » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:15 pm

Hi Sakkarin
Yes, speed very very very slow for me too, using high speed internet connection.
Most sites, I don't notice any delay at all, this one means waiting for several seconds, often into 2 digits, for each and any page (including this reply box) to load.
Am sure it's a setting you'll be able to adjust, good luck and thanks.
x

Postby Frillz » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:31 pm

I lost you for a while, but like Joan my connection is only about the speed of old dial up so can't comment on the board speed.

Adding my thanks and while I'm here I notice that where it says the board's a refuge for posters off the old Beeb Board the emoticon is :cry: whereas I think it should be a resounding :)

;)
Longtime lapsed BBC Food Board contributer

Postby BelgianEndive » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:41 pm

Hi Sakkarin: I have no problems either in Brussels or in Paris (where I'm writing from now). I had a speed problem in Brussels the first day or so and then it stopped. I have hi-speed adsl connections.
So it is all good! :P

Postby efcliz » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:04 pm

It was going very slowly for me before lunch, timing out in fact, but much better now.

Postby kavey » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:22 pm

Same here, speed much better.
Still a _touch_ slower than I'm used to for other sites, but we're talking more like 1-2 seconds delay rather than 10+ seconds, so big improvement.
Did you change something or is it something else?
x

Postby jeral » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:23 pm

I've been timed out a few times in the last couple of days, even after the midnight hour when the board seems very quiet. Also this morning, although seems OK at time of writing approx 2.20 pm Monday. My broadband is probably standard so neither ultra quick nor irritatingly slow normally.

Postby hungryhousewife » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:37 pm

Hi Sakkarin - yes it is quite slow, and we have just been updated to super-whizzbang fast speed.
HH

Postby hungryhousewife » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:37 pm

Actually, it has suddenly got much faster! You are amazing!!
HH

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:26 pm

Sadly, it was not me made it faster, it is something beyond my control! I have a feeling I know what it might be. It may take a few days to sort out, as at the moment I am in the middle of a three loooong night shifts (6 p.m. to 6 a.m), and don't have much time in between to sort things out - and it will take a couple of days after that for my brain to clear properly :-(

Postby hungryhousewife » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:49 pm

Hi Sakkarin - I've just tried to get onto the Wildfood forum, and couldn't get on at all - wouldn't even open up or anything! I tried several times during the last hour.
Curiouser and Curiouser!!

You should probably be in bed then!! 8-)

HH

Postby riocaz » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:09 pm

Sakkarin, I've been seeing similar problems over on WF.

I was assuming it was an issue with being on a shared server but I'm starting to think it might be partly an issue with PHPbb (having just upgraded to 3.0.10).

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:18 pm

Hi Riocaz, that shared server thing occurred to me too - interesting comment about having just updated to v 3.0.10. Thanks for the alert, I will be interested to see how it progresses your end!

Edited comment added: If that's the case though, it's odd that it's intermittent. When it's not dragging its heels, it's very fast.

Postby riocaz » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:23 pm

Well the speed thing started a good 24 hours prior to the update, then seemed to have gotten worse. It's got a bit better now, which is why I think it may be partially a PHPbb problem and partly a shared server issue.

Unlimited bandwidth doesn't help if someone else is using all the CPU cycles. Though if that is/was the case you would expect the host to notice and fix it ASAP.

Thankfully PHPbb is relatively low traffic bandwidth and CPU.

Postby Chihuahuasrule » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:18 pm

Well, I'm certainly not having any problems, in fact I would say that I am getting faster speeds than previously.

JeanT

Postby Dena » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:24 pm

I found it very slow this morning, then couldn't get it at all!! It seems to be much faster now.

I thought it was my "confuser" - glad to know it isn't :)

Postby Frillz » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:04 pm

Actually even on my slow speed it's much, much quicker now than it was this AM.
When trying to post what I'd typed the board definitely went into slow-mo.
Longtime lapsed BBC Food Board contributer

chicken_hot_pot

Postby chicken_hot_pot » Tue May 01, 2012 12:22 am

My connection is very slow tonight, but not on here. Flickr was going backwards speed wise. Normally have a good connection adsl high speed on the laptop.

Les Mains

Postby Les Mains » Tue May 01, 2012 8:09 pm

The entire board crashed this afternoon. The server seemed to be online but the site couldn't be accessed by public.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox