Register

A cookery book review blog

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

A cookery book review blog

Postby cherrytree » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:32 pm

A little while ago on the old BBC board somebody gave a link to a food blog by (I think) the cookery editor of the Sunday Times who reviews the latest cookery books. Please can anybody remember this and put the link on here? Thank you.

Re: A cookery book review blog

Postby hungryhousewife » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:24 pm

Morning Cherry tree!
I don't know which one was recommended on the BBC, but I stumbled on one the other day:

http://thedaringkitchen.com/cookbook

I found a review for a book I was interested in, and thought it looked interesting.

HH

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:50 pm

Hi cherrytree, I think you mean this one...

http://pipcooksthebooks.tumblr.com/

I think he's very funny :)

Postby Dena » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:05 pm

Not a blog but I always read the "reviews" on Amazon from the people who have actually bought the book. Not much help if it is new books I suppose and you don't know what they are but I always read the titles of new cookery books from the lists found in most papers etc.

Postby cherrytree » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:35 pm

Thank you all of you. Yes Onemore cheeky one, that was the one. Great to be able to do all this again without so much as a hiccup.

Postby Tatihou » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:17 pm

OneMoreCheekyOne wrote:http://pipcooksthebooks.tumblr.com/

I think he's very funny :)
Well, that's half-an-hour of my life just gone... what a great blog. I just clicked from review to review and read. And now I really need to go and cook something. Possibly fish finger sarnies from the Baker Brothers. Thanks OMCO. :D

Postby Lou » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:34 pm

It is a great blogg isn't it.
I was supprised by the latest one, I do not really rate Lorraines show, but I am clearly in the minority, if I see her book in the sale I may give it a go after all.

Postby hungryhousewife » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:18 pm

Hi Lou!
I am not that keen on the Lorraine Pascal programmes, but bought her baking book for my youngest daughter, who is 11 and a keen cook. She has made palmiers, cakes and the most delicious profiteroles (3 times!!) - all without any help - and various other things - everything was really delicious - She found the book so 'unscary' that she just got on with it all!
HH

Postby ordinarygull » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:21 pm

That's interesting HH, I find Lorraine Pascal a bit sort of droney, and her anecdotes are pointless, she also never, ever eats anything she cooks (maybe I'd look as good as her if I didn't eat anything.....) But a book that keen to cook children can follow without getting angry and storming off is always a good buy in my view!!

og

Postby hungryhousewife » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:51 pm

Yes, its been quite a success - and because it isn't officially a 'children's' book, she thinks its quite cool!
All the recipes are really straight forward and so far the results have been excellent!

HH

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox