Register

Pierus Salicifolia

Just testing

Pierus Salicifolia

Postby eschscholtzia » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:08 am

We have a weeping pear tree in the front garden which sheds its 'fruit' partly over lawn and partly over gravel. We have to pick up the ones on the grass as they interfere with the mower. Is it essential to pick up all the hundreds of others on the gravel or can we just leave them to rot down???

Re: Pierus Salicifolia

Postby Linnet » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:56 pm

I'd pick them up, and put them on a compost heap if you have one. How big are they? If a reasonable size, and you have a leaf rake with wide or adjustable tines, it should do the job without disturbing the gravel too much.

If you leave them to rot, not only will there be a mess for anyone to step in, but weed seeds will land on the remains and next spring you will have weedy gravel!

Postby eschscholtzia » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:25 pm

They are about an inch by threequarters. We've never really noticed them before but this year there are hundreds of them. I think I shall take a small stool and sit down to pick them up!

Postby jeral » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:14 pm

If they are edible and left, they could attract foxes, which tend to leave, er, messages.

Have you thought to get a long-handled spider catcher to pick them up to drop into a handy bucket, to save bending up and down? Amazon do a range of vacuum ones: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keyw ... fvvmlj16_b A cheap pair of long-handled tongs would work, the sort sold for bbqs.

Return to Gardener's World Rescue Board