Register

What would you like for Christmas?

Christmas, Easter, Birthday, Hanukkah, Diwali and Ramadan chat.

What would you like for Christmas?

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:27 am

Seeing as it's November now I think this topic should be allowed!!

So, what is everyone hoping for, food related or otherwise?

Food-wise I've requested a couple of le crueset things... a lasagne dish being one. Plus the new Gordon Ramsey book which accompanies his latest tv series. I've also put the Ginger Pig meat book on my list as i've wanted it for a couple of years but never got round to buying it.

Non food related I need a new coat with a hood and one of my Chanel perfumes to be replaced. I'm not sure about anything else yet.

It's my birthday, our wedding anniversary and Christmas all in the space of a week so I get one week of being very spoiled each year!

Re: What would you like for Christmas?

Postby Lou » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:41 pm

A pony!!!!

I jest,
I would like some more baking equipment, some nice biscuit cutters and other fun bits and pieces, a couple of baking books - I have few so am not fussed which.
I would like Paul Hollywoods how to bake, as 2013 is the year I start making bread.

I would love a le creuset casserole dish, my only one is pyrex, so there is no hob to oven ability in my kitchen.

outside of baking I would love some new evening jewellry (for wearing to more formal and elaborate occasions). I got my current set for my 21st, and it would be nice to have more options.

It is my birthday this month, so I had to write my list a few weeks ago as it spans both (yes, I still write a list!).

You deserve to be spoilt OMCO if you have to wait a whole year for your special days to come back round.

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:06 pm

Hi OMCO

Not too soon for me because the family elsewhere are already pestering us for a wish list - we are all sick of missing presents because of delivery problems/weather etc etc.

We have 5 birthdays, one on 25th, and an anniversary (not ours) in the week starting on 25th so it is a very expensive time of year.

Don't tell him but, as a family, we are signing M up for this:
http://www.britainsdna.com/ydna.html

It seem appropriate with his newly renewed enthusiasm for his family history.

For me I really don't know. As we will be at son's house in Jersey I don't want to ask for anything that will be difficult to carry back on the boat and train. Actually I love little surprises in my stocking; yes we all still have one.

I have sent this to 9 year old grandson in VA
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/43507/4-Classic-Jokes

I have also sent a Sharrow Bay sticky toffee pudding, some chocolate frogs and a set of tiddly winks.

What I would really really like is a Cusinart Griddle Grill - George Foreman one disintergrated. Or two wall lights to complete my dressing room.

If not, a butler would be rather nice ;) ;)

Most of all though I want the family to stay safe and healthy so we can all be together here next year.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:34 pm

George Clooney please

Actually what i want is an electric knife sharpener (on the foodie front)

And some bottarga

Off food again - I want one of those rotataing hot air brushes, I have bobbed hair & they are said to be ideal for that.

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:55 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:George Clooney please

Actually what i want is an electric knife sharpener (on the foodie front)

And some bottarga

Off food again - I want one of those rotataing hot air brushes, I have bobbed hair & they are said to be ideal for that.

Can't have him My S-I-L has already asked for him and she is the Christmas Day birthday!!!

Is bottarga the same as pourtage - I guess it is. If you really really want some and none is forthcoming send me a PM.

Postby Lou » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:35 pm

Stokey sue.

If you mean a babyliss big hair, it will change your life!
I got one for my birthday a year ago and I cannot be without it.

Not only does it give an amazing blow dried finish (use the hairdryer until damp or you will be there all day!),
But I use mine on dry hair too to smarten it up a bit if I am going out in the evening.
Sorry for the over excited rant, but they really are fab!

Postby Capt_Lightning » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:55 pm

We're off to Germany in 4 weeks to do some Christmas shopping. Going to Mainz, Frankfurt,Weisbaden etc.. (lived there many years ago).
We will visit the WMF shops for utensils (and Henckels knives) and the Maggi Kochstudio for seasonings, gifts etc..

As for presents... since we grow a lot of our own vegetables etc.. something for the garden would be useful. I think that Mrs.L would like some 'Gro lights' to help bring on the plants to get an earlier crop.

Postby jeral » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:20 pm

That Babyliss thingy sounds good. I have straighteners and a curling tong. On straighteners, I bought some cheaper ones thinking that as long as they were ceramic coated they'd be fine. However my son bought himself the well known GHD ones, (the very narrow ones) around £100 and boy are they worth it as the difference is enormous.

Cooking wishlist is a couple of saucepans that go in the dishwasher, so with riveted handles rather than screwed-on ones which fall off sooner or later. Oh, and a new DAB radio.

It's a problem buying for oldies who have all they need so anything more is just (probably unused) clutter. Any "nice things" tend to get put away "for best". Should put headache pills on my list as brain hurts - any ideas? Ta.

Postby Global_Worming » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:52 am

Back to back Jeremy Kyle shows on the Box for Chrimbo days, it will help me keep my perspective alive.
Oh and the queens speech on between 13.00 and 14.00 when we are eating our Indian Takeaway......I dont allow the telly on when we are eating.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:54 am

Stokey Sue wrote:George Clooney please

Well in that case i'll have Gerard Butler and Wentworth Miller please. My husband can bring us drinks :lol:

I'm intrigued about this Babyliss thing, will have to check that out. Jeral, I agree that you can definitely tell the difference between ghd and other brands.

Joan, I think my father in law would love that family dna thing, i'll send it to my OH.

I still have a stocking too. It always contains a small box of macaroons, vanilla candles from muji, a mini bottle of champagne and new filofax inserts...plus one or two surprises... a few years ago it was my engagement ring at the very bottom!

Capt i'm jealous of your shopping trip. I'm desperate to get to Vienna one year to do some Christmas shopping. We're going to the lakes for a few days for our anniversary where i'll pick up some last minute presents.

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:14 pm

OneMoreCheekyOne wrote:
Joan, I think my father in law would love that family dna thing, i'll send it to my OH.

I still have a stocking too. It always contains a small box of macaroons, vanilla candles from muji, a mini bottle of champagne and new filofax inserts...plus one or two surprises... a few years ago it was my engagement ring at the very bottom!.

Aah theres romantic for you!

M's stocking always has a mini bottle of single malt, a packet of liquorice allsorts and a diary + anything else I and the family come across. Pocket Book of Clouds being one this year.

Capt I'll be going Christmas shopping in Germany next year. We have just heard that S-I-L is to be promoted and posted to Herford. Any hints or comments - no idea about the place.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:37 pm

Seems like the BabyLiss is a winner - thanks Lou

This id the one I want (42 mm), as my hair is about the same length as the lady in the picture

http://www.babyliss.co.uk/stylers/big-hair-42mm/

But they do a 50 mm one as well for those with flowing tresses

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:33 pm

Hi Sue

I have very short hair but it is also very floppy - I think the smaller one is for me. Added to the wish list, thanks for the idea.

Postby Lou » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:32 am

I have had my big hair a year, they only did one size back then, I assume it is the big one.

Tresseme do a cheaper version, but when I saw one out of the packet it has thick plastic prong like bristles instead of soft fine ones. I don’t see how that can be pleasant when they are spinning close to your head!

I too have stockings to make this year.
My boyfriends folks have a no gifts until after church rule (my folks don’t go on Christmas morning, so it is up and gifts).
We alternate which family we spend Christmas with, and on years I am with his family I have taken to sneaking round in the middle of the night :tiptoesanta to hang a stocking on everyone’s door. It was a sneaky way to allow everyone gifts in bed!
I tend to go with perfume/aftershave miniatures, chocolate coins, silly toys, notebooks etc.
I think I will be making a lot of it this year, so small pots of jam/chutney, honeycomb, Kendal mint cake...
Plus earmuffs, socks and woolly hats are a possibility.

Ps. How apt is the emoticon!

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:34 pm

Son has just sent a message asking for a subscription to Jamie Oliver's monthly mag. I have never heard of it nor seen it. Any comments - though as if that is what he wants ......... :prezzie1

Postby Amazing » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:01 am

I would like a proper lie-in until about 11 then breakfast in bed. Scrambled eggs with smoked salmon and a glass of champagne, hot toast and butter and fresh coffee.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:42 pm

Oooh I love the new smilies!

Joan, i've bought the Jamie mag a few times and it's ok. I thought it was quarterly rather than monthly but i'm probably wrong.

Amazing, I always like the thought of a Christmas day lie in but end up waking at about 8 ish and can never go back to sleep, i'm far too excited. I think we'll be having the exact same breakfast as you this year.

Update on my presents... OH has bought me a Mulberry document/laptop carrier/folder/bag thing that I wanted, yippee!

We are also risking a trip to the Trafford Centre on Saturday to do some more shopping. There's a Harvey Nicholls food shop which has some lovely things which are good for little extra presents. Last year we bought quite a few of their jars of 'meat rub' and fancy tubs of their shortbread to give as extra presents. Also, a few came in handy for last minute presents that we didn't know we needed!

Postby Lou » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:55 pm

What happened to surprises OMCO? Amazing though, what a lovely gift!

I am twenty (ahem) and still wake the house up at 6am on Christmas mornings. At my parents house I stomp down the stairs and across the landing a few times, until an accomplice joins me to properly wake the house up.

Good luck at the Trafford centre. 2012 is the year I do not go! The boyfriend works at Salford Quays and has already noticed the traffic getting much heavier around TC in the evenings.

There will be no smoked salmon or eggs for me. I will offer coffee, toast and pastries before church, then I will be starting the lunch upon our return, so it will be bacon or sausage sandwiches, leftover pastries, more coffee, and some form of Bellini or bucks fizz for all!

Postby Lou » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:58 pm

Joan:
A friend of mine is going to a Jaime Oliver party, I was confused and thought it was a very obscure fancy dress theme, but it turned out it is a Tupperware style party selling his range.
I hadn’t realised his range had grown so much!
I have heard of his magazine, was it exclusive to WH Smiths when it started? It was a few years ago now.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:07 am

Lou wrote:What happened to surprises OMCO?

I know, I know! But at least I get things which I really want/need! I will get some surprises off him.

Ha - my OH is dreading the Trafford Centre trip. I usually have to bribe him to go. Stopping off at Osteria in Mottram for a Peroni and a plate of antipasti on the way home usually does it.

More presents bought yesterday... some lovely items from Baby Gap for my Newphew and for a couple of friends children.

I am struggling this year for present ideas for couples. We tend to spend approx £20-25 on each of them as a pair and have bought everything from cafe/restaurant vouchers, board games, wine etc. I'm struggling this year. Any ideas?

Next

Return to Chatterbox Archive