Register

BBC 2 Horizon "Eat, Fast and Live Longer"

What do you think about the food programmes being broadcast?

Re: BBC 2 Horizon "Eat, Fast and Live Longer"

Postby Breadandwine » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:37 am

Going for a 24 hour fast today - finished eating at 6.50 yesterday, so it's perfectly doable. I've done 23 hours before, so I don't anticipate any problems.

SIL asked an interesting question yesterday - why do we need to limit our calories in the meal following a 24 hour fast?
Now that you've discovered that making your own bread is easier than you thought, what else is there that isn't so difficult when you actually have a go? Like making your own pasta without a machine, for instance!

http://nobreadisanisland.blogspot.com/

Postby Mamta1 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:12 pm

I have just been reading this interesting thread. I have tried this diet since the Horizon programme and have lost 7-8 kg so far on it. I went on it mostly because of its fringe benefits, i.e, reduced BP, blood sugar and cholesterol and because my grandma fasted 2-3 days a week all her life. She lived till 97, was slim and fit until almost the end, so it made sense to me. My BP and blood sugar have definitely come down, have reduced medication, will find out about the cholesterol next week.
For me, it has been easier than anything I have tried in the past, because there is prospect of a 'full stomach' in sight the day after the fast. I just have never been able to stick to any other diets long term, because I love food too much. One thing I discovered is that when you have been on it for a while, you don't need as much food even on 'feast' days. May be stomach gets used to less or may be it is the brain that tells you not to loose what you have gained on the 'fast' day. One has to be careful about the high sugar bottled/canned drinks of course, which have never been my problem anyway. I am quite happy with light black tea.
I have been out for lunch today, so tomorrow will be a fast day. My general diet on fast day is something like this;
1 hard boiled egg or just a couple of mugs of black, sugar free tea for breakfast.
Lunch: A big plate of salad, with lemon, salt and pepper (or chat masala) dressing, sometimes with a mug of fat free vegetable soup, which I make in a pressure cooker.
Evening, fat free vegetables (curry or pan cooked Chinese style vegetables or just steamed vegetables, with a very small piece of fish or a small 'be good to yourself' type of naan (120 cal).
Lets see how long the motivation will last!! Good luck to all those who are trying to loose weight :crossed .

Postby Breadandwine » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:24 pm

Good stuff, Mamta! :thumbsup

Here's a bit more motivation for you:

Two important pieces of research have just been posted on the Mumsnet 'Tips and Links' thread:

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/big_slim_whatever_weight_loss_club/a1581821-Tips-and-links-for-those-practicing-Intermittent-Fasting-IF-5-2-or-Alternate-Day-Fasting-ADF

The first is by a DM reporter who has an IGF-1 test before her month of 5:2 and then again at the end - and it has dropped significantly.

The second is by a poster who has posted all his blood test results both before IF and after doing it for 4 months. The results are "pretty amazing"! And his personal story is inspiring.

Both of these are well worth looking at (especially if you enjoy looking at figures) and emphasises the point that weight loss is just a side effect of IF.
Now that you've discovered that making your own bread is easier than you thought, what else is there that isn't so difficult when you actually have a go? Like making your own pasta without a machine, for instance!

http://nobreadisanisland.blogspot.com/

Previous

Return to TV & Radio