Register

Great British Menu

What do you think about the food programmes being broadcast?

Great British Menu

Postby Alison Wright » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:50 am

Returns to mark the 70th anniversary of D-Day.

Starts Monday Apr 7th BBC2 7:30-8PM, & airs every weekday for nine weeks, with the celebration banquet on June 6th.
http://blogs.catererandhotelkeeper.co.u ... unced.html

Re: Great British Menu

Postby Suelle » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:19 am

I wonder if evoking the wartime spirit of the people means cooking with the sort of rations and 'off-ration' food available then!
The blog which does what it says on the tin:

http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Alison Wright » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:32 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if bully beef features somewhere on the menu.

Or more likely - 'proper' corned beef from the Irish chefs using brisket, pickling spices & large 'corns' of salt.

It'll be interesting to hear the thoughts & opinions of the veterans on how & what they ate during the war years & what they think of food today.

Postby mark111757 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:02 am

can someone please point me in the right direction to find the recipes to the current series of TGBM.....

thanks!!!!

Postby jeral » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:48 am

I'm not sure sure if recipes are posted in the trial rounds, at least not by the Beeb. I've tried a couple by name of chef and name of dish with no joy, so I'm afraid I've drawn a blank.

On a different note, I recall a poster on the BBC forum wittily dubbing the programme "Great British Question", as exemplified by the judging chef each night.

It still makes me grin every time when the poker-faced judge asks his proverbial 20 questions of the chef about his dish. It'd make a good parlour game - "So what questions will the judging chef ask about this dish?"

A list of "answer" cards could be made to select from, e.g. Do you think it is...? Is the consistency...? Are you happy with...? Would you change...? etc. Fill in blanks.

Not complaining, more applauding GBQ poster with a big smiley face.

Return to TV & Radio