Register

'Mary Berry Cooks'

What do you think about the food programmes being broadcast?

Re: 'Mary Berry Cooks'

Postby Alison Wright » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:02 pm

Due to building work/decorating here, then being away for a break, I still have to catch up on the March 24th & 31st recordings.

I find the above comments quite saddening. For whatever reason it seems Mary's new series isn't delivering what we've come to expect of her-shame ....

Postby mark111757 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:00 am

was i the only one that was amused in mary berrys recipe for elderflower cordial that it called for 1.5L of water (or 3 pounds 5 ounces)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/elder ... dial_21346

3.1 pints liquid, if i believe onlineconversion.com

i remember when i was in high school i was doing a report of some sort for spanish class and it talked about cows and milk and in it i noted in spanish (or atleast tried to) that the milk was measured in pounds (yes, really)....i was never able to get that point across as i helped out on a dairy farm for many summers....i saw the reciepts from the milk haulers....in pounds....she tried to convince me it was liters....did not work :D

Postby dennispc » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:42 am

I've never used Campden tablets Mark - what are they?

Yes Alison it is sad - couldn't help noticing this week the use of a whole fillet steak, 'but cut the ends off' - something to do with lack of flavour - couldn't be sure. That's not quite my world!

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:42 am

dennispc wrote:I've never used Campden tablets Mark - what are they?

Campden tablets are sodium metabisulphite, generates sulphur dioxide which as Mary said kills off both bacteria and moulds

Postby dennispc » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:57 pm

Thanks SS.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:16 pm

As some of you know, I love Mary and have enjoyed this series, and bought the book a couple of weeks ago. Since the series has started, I have tried no less than 7 recipes, plus one idea that I went off on a tangent with. My copy of her book is already looking a little battered, with some pages getting a little stuck together. As soon as I looked through it I thought it would be one for the kitchen bookshelf, and would be well used. There is at least 20-30 recipes that I will have to make during the course of the year.

Previous

Return to TV & Radio