Register

Food(ography) Food Network Freeview 48

What do you think about the food programmes being broadcast?

Food(ography) Food Network Freeview 48

Postby jeral » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:03 pm

8pm tonight (Sun). Started yesterday, Sat also at 8pm (missed it) and isn't on weekdays so maybe it's a weekend thing.

Seems to be about different foods, origins and "today", but details rather hazy.

Sorry not much to go on, so will report after tonight what the score seems to be.

Re: Food(ography) Food Network Freeview 48

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:08 pm

Saw last weeks

not bad, but so US oriented as to diminish the interest

the word global apparently not in the vocabulary

Postby Alison Wright » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:29 pm

jeral wrote:8pm tonight (Sun). Started yesterday, Sat also at 8pm (missed it)

Not surprised you missed it Jeral! - there isn't a Freeview 48 (at least not on my online guide) - Food Network is on Freeview 41 ;)

I quite fancied it, but I'm usually busy or watching something else at 8pm, & the recorder is full of films & stuff from the holidays we still haven't watched. But interested to hear what you think of it.

Postby jeral » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:51 pm

@ Stokey Sue: I don't mind US oriented to watch which can be interesting even if not likely to copy-cook, though it probably means it'll not be what I was half expecting. Still, I'll give it a go and see.

@ Alison Wright: Food Network's listed as 41 in my TV mag too but it still arrives on 48 here (there's no Ch.41.) Sorry if this has confused anyone. Either way, it seems we both get Food Network on Freeview so I guess it's a case of finding it "in your area". Have you watched this programme?

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:52 pm

jeral wrote:@ Stokey Sue: I don't mind US oriented to watch which can be interesting even if not likely to copy-cook, though it probably means it'll not be what I was half expecting. Still, I'll give it a go and see.

I found the way he talked about phenomena very tiring; he considered global issues ONLY from a US perspective & it became tiresome after a while - for example, the history of ice cream should encompass the silk route, Italy and France, but apparently it was a US invention

Postby Alison Wright » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:55 pm

I haven't watched any yet - but just recording the last 40mins of tonight's ep.

I don't mind a bit of US-ery in food programmes as long as I can learn something from them. The one I just can't stand ATM is the dame on Bitchin' Kitchen :thumbsdown

Last July/Aug when the Travel Channel suddenly appeared in my listings, by chance I caught 'Bizarre Food America' with Andrew Zimmern. http://www.travelchannel.com/tv-shows/bizarre-foods

The most interesting programmes & the foods he discovers are indeed bizarre - but in a good way as people in different cultures/ethnic backgrounds really do eat them.
The last transmission was on Nov 19th when he went to St. Croix in the US Virgin Islands & found Bull's Feet in Paradise! I still have five more eps recorded & keep checking the listings for when it returns :thumbsup

Postby jeral » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:59 pm

I watched last night's Food(ography) and realised pretty soon that it was a whole hour on pasta so was thinking of abandoning it. Persevered and it was interesting so will carry on watching. I certainly see what you mean now Stokey Sue and did gloss over a couple of eh? moments.

An episode list shows 16 programmes, last night's being #4. Next Sat and Sun are #5 and #6 on my tuner's scheduler, being Cookbooks and Cocktails respectively. #5 Cookbooks should definitely be interesting. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1700600/episodes?season=1

@ Alison Wright: I caught only the last episode of Bizarre Food when it was on in late summer I think. Will have to look out for repeats.

Postby jeral » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:21 pm

Just a reminder that the cookbooks episode is tonight 8pm. It mentions "Apicius to Julia Child", (Apicius is Roman recipes written down in 4th or 5th C per Wikipedia).

Can't see how this subject could be kept US-centric, or could it? Can't wait to find out!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:26 pm

I gave up on Food(orgraphy) during this episode

Despite good snippets on Elizabeth David & Julia Childs my blood boiled when the camp idiot in the oddly fitting slacks informed me that "cooking seasonally" was invented in 1963

Really? What did he think Apicius and Escoffier did?

Postby jeral » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:09 pm

Hmm. Probably the last one for me also. I do find them interesting no question, but also irritating, like they gave one sentence to Apicius and declared "That's enough of him, now onto Americana". Just have to accept that it was made to suit the interests of a broadscale American audience I guess.

Postby jeral » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:47 pm

I did a U-turn and finished up watching most of the last series. A new one started a couple of weeks ago, airing 8pm both Sat and Sundays.

It's always interesting, going from historical beginnings, to old-fashioned manual forms of production, to mass production methods, then finishing with highly accomplished artisanal pieces which sometimes include molecular gastronomy elements.

Just bumping this in case anyone else wants to give it another go...

PS the Freeview Ch. number might be different where you are, it's 41 here now.

Return to TV & Radio